The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-15-2023, 01:53 PM

I personally would love a small, stable wireless solution just so I can move around a bit more. Something with the Sennheiser's XSW's form factor without the crazy prices and, like what Aaron shared - unreliability. As it is I'm practically rooted to a spot and have no idea how much treble and reverb I really need venue-to-venue (since I don't use a looper).
Old 03-15-2023, 02:02 PM

Seems like with wireless its either the very cheap or the very expensive and little in between.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:14 PM

As a decades long wireless user and having had the GLXD16 units since they first came out I'm really curious what improvements, other than losing some weight by going magnesium instead of aluminum, could be had.

I've still got two of them and even though presumably there's no reason to buy the new one, I'm still looking forward to reading the review.

For the players who didn't like the changes in tone when using wireless, buy a good one instead. Like EZ said earlier though, it all really boils down to buying and using whatever you like, because you'll learn to work with it.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 03-17-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
For the players who didn't like the changes in tone when using wireless, buy a good one instead. Like EZ said earlier though, it all really boils down to buying and using whatever you like, because you'll learn to work with it.
What constitutes a "good one" though? They are ALL subject to the same interference possibilities, no matter how much you spend on them. Some may do a better job at blocking that and some might have longer range, but there's only so much they can do when there are many other things competing for the same frequencies. There needs to be more frequency choices other than the two that currently exist...2.4 and 5.8. That would help a lot.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
What constitutes a "good one" though?
I could understand your view if you'd never used a GLXD16 system. Try one and you'll know the answer.

Are they expensive? Depends on what's important to each player, but having bought one, after about a year I bought another so I could have one specifically for acoustic and a second one only to use with the electric setup. For me, they're a bargain, considering how much more enjoyable they've made my time on stage.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

If I felt the need to get a wireless today. I would trust the GLXD system.

At a decent price too. If using on a board, I'd choose a different tuner, if room on the board, than, but that's me. If room is an issue, I'd not have a problem with it.

I could see using this on a one off show, by itself. Quick in and out.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
If I felt the need to get a wireless today. I would trust the GLXD system.

At a decent price too. If using on a board, I'd choose a different tuner, if room on the board, than, but that's me. If room is an issue, I'd not have a problem with it.

I could see using this on a one off show, by itself. Quick in and out.
I would sooner go back to conventional cords than spend $500 on something that just replaces them.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I would sooner go back to conventional cords than spend $500 on something that just replaces them.
Not a very good analogy, but if that's how you rationalize it then that's good for you. I'd rather have my $500 wireless than to do without it, so there's a market for both of us out there.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:50 AM

Quote:
What constitutes a "good one" though? They are ALL subject to the same interference possibilities, no matter how much you spend on them. Some may do a better job at blocking that and some might have longer range, but there's only so much they can do when there are many other things competing for the same frequencies. There needs to be more frequency choices other than the two that currently exist...2.4 and 5.8. That would help a lot.
I think the thing to remember with wireless is that they will alter the tone a bit. However, the same type of tonal change can come from using a longer cable or using different eq settings at shows. Sometimes, wireless systems can even improve the tone. I know for me, my mandolin always sounds better through the G10 than a standard cable. Hotter/more robust tone. If you can find a wireless that does not add interference or hiss then it's probably going to be a good one.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Not a very good analogy, but if that's how you rationalize it then that's good for you. I'd rather have my $500 wireless than to do without it, so there's a market for both of us out there.
It wasn't an analogy. But either way, what I'm saying is personally I can't justify spending $500 on a wireless system when my $50 one is totally fine.
For me, the benefits are not worth the 1,000% price increase.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I think the thing to remember with wireless is that they will alter the tone a bit. However, the same type of tonal change can come from using a longer cable or using different eq settings at shows. Sometimes, wireless systems can even improve the tone. I know for me, my mandolin always sounds better through the G10 than a standard cable. Hotter/more robust tone. If you can find a wireless that does not add interference or hiss then it's probably going to be a good one.
I haven't heard any noticeable tonal differences in the several wireless systems I have tried. Tone issues can be fixed with EQ though. I also haven't heard any hiss or noise. Only thing I have run into is periodic interference (about 5% of the time) and then I just unplug my wireless and plug in a cord.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I though the tone was changed from choice of pickup, or strings, or pick, or bridge pins, or tuners, or saddle material, or frets, or neck material, or bracing, or . . . . .

So a wireless system will change it a little too, eh? Whooda thought -
Old 03-21-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I though the tone was changed from choice of pickup, or strings, or pick, or bridge pins, or tuners, or saddle material, or frets, or neck material, or bracing, or . . . . .

So a wireless system will change it a little too, eh? Whooda thought -
That's my point though. Wireless systems can alter the tone and probably won't sound identical to a cable, but that's not always a bad thing. In order for one to be "good" it should have little to no added noise.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's my point though. Wireless systems can alter the tone and probably won't sound identical to a cable, but that's not always a bad thing. In order for one to be "good" it should have little to no added noise.
I know - it’s just more of the esoterica that gets argued endlessly back and forth - I’m sure there are those who will argue about the differences different brands, gauges, and lengths of cables make. Heck, they’d probably argue about the brand and type of cable ends, too ( I think you have to use solid gold plated - anything less kills the natural harmonic overtones coming from your fuzz/overdrive pedal ).

😉
Old 03-22-2023, 02:43 AM

Quote:
It wasn't an analogy. But either way, what I'm saying is personally I can't justify spending $500 on a wireless system when my $50 one is totally fine.
It's analogy because it's a comparison in which neither item is the same as the other. I can justify spending the money though because I get the usage I need from them and I have no guitar cords that reach across the room without tripping waitresses, dancers, getting hung up on tables and without annoying me onstage.
Of course I can use a cord, and have countless times, but the wireless gives me total freedom and allows me to focus on anything I want/need to while performing and takes away the distractions that are not an issue for people who stay in a limited space on stage.
Wireless systems are popular because they appeal to a lot of players, and cords still sell well for those who have little to no need for them, or can't afford a decent wireless.
Anyway, about that $500, they've paid for themselves years ago, so I'm not worried about that either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification