The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-16-2023, 10:00 AM

My unit which shipped on 3/4 was cleared US customs on 3/15. The next delivery company for the US shipping, Ontrac, update said it is waiting for the package. i guess I should have it in about a week. For a person like me who is used to the Amazon prime delivery, this delivery time feels like a year. LOL
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-17-2023, 03:52 AM

Today’s update:
Events:2023-03-17 17:17:43,Arrive at international airport to abroad
OrignDest:CN→US
InShippingMethodName:YunExpress Registered Standard

So right now, I have a race going on. Our dryer timer needs replacement and I ordered that on Monday morning. Although it initially appeared that it would arrive yesterday, it looks like it’s taking a leisurely hike up the Appalachian Trail from Georgia and is now delayed until the 24th!

I have been spoiled by Amazon too!
Old 03-18-2023, 03:09 PM

Just cleared customs today. I ordered on Feb 25th and here we are on March 18th. So for those of you who are used to Amazon overnight delivery, just be prepared to wait a few weeks. China is a long way away!
Old 03-19-2023, 09:39 AM

Interesting as we got ordering info the same day but got mine yesterday. I haven't checked it out. However some quick impressions. First the switch for on/off I though looked cheesy to me. Second the external antenna for bluetooth is interesting. Most embedded bluetooth devices have internal antennas. Did they have trouble with the bluetooth signal and put on the external antenna as a fix. it's not that large, but it is unusual.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-19-2023, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Vidami Alternative - Airstep play

I think I ordered the same time. Mine must be with srick’s . It reports that it cleared customs and is in a US sorting facility in LA.
I am in Colorado, srick in Connecticut, so maybe I will get mine first?

I grew up in New Haven…
Old 03-19-2023, 04:19 PM

Jam - following the progress of this package has been pretty interesting. It’s now at sorting facility US0001. I’m glad that this is not a necessity that I ordered!

New Haven has always been an interesting town and in the last few years has reblossomed. Not too many guitar stores unfortunately. The only one that comes to mind is Sam Ash over near Woodbridge. And all through the State, the music scene and associated venues are taking a long time to reawaken.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Interesting indeed. Mine says it is at US0005.
Is yours in LA? Maybe it just means a different shelf or something.[emoji849]

I am glad New Haven is picking up a bit. It was a divided (by race unofficially) city when I was there. I left by thumb in ‘87 and returned to visit and finally sell my mom’s house in ‘99. Not back since. So been a while. Lived not too far from Yale Bowl.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
Interesting indeed. Mine says it is at US0005.
Is yours in LA? Maybe it just means a different shelf or something.[emoji849]

I am glad New Haven is picking up a bit. It was a divided (by race unofficially) city when I was there. I left by thumb in ‘87 and returned to visit and finally sell my mom’s house in ‘99. Not back since. So been a while. Lived not too far from Yale Bowl.
Re: the Airstep - it was just transferred to ‘a local courier’ which I Googled to be US Mail. Hopefully, US0001 is NYC and US0005 is LA!

New Haven still has its divide, and it has spilled into Hamden and West Haven. From what I have seen on the news, the City Government is working hard to take care of all of the residents. Take that fwiw. I have a good friend who has had a dental practice in Fair Haven for about 35/years and he feels things are looking up. And I’ll leave it at that lest we touch the AGF third rail.

Bottom line, I know of several folks who have recently moved INTO New Haven, and that is a good sign.

And yes, you still can’t beat New Haven pizza!
Old 03-19-2023, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

[emoji487]
Old 03-21-2023, 06:58 AM

Out for delivery today!
Old 03-21-2023, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Awesome! Let me know how it is. As of last night, mine was still listed as being in San Bernardino for some reason. No update yet today.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:09 PM

Default So Far, So Good.

The pedal arrived today about 4pm. The box is not much bigger than the controller, but solid nonetheless. And the controller feels solid too. There was a charge on the battery already and it took about two hours to charge it all the way. Note that the battery input can take 5 volts up to 9 volts, so you can use this with a pedal board.

The controller works its magic through a browser extension to either Chrome, Safari or Edge. The first step is to install the extension. There are several dedicated apps for IOS: One is for updating and programming, the other is essentially its own adapted browser for IOS. It also works through a Safari extension. But even after reading the manual (online) carefully, I kept missing one essential point: You connect to Bluetooth through the app - not your ipad, windows, mac, etc. Confusing the issue is that the Bluetooth icon looks like this:
bluetooth.jpg
Nothing like the usual Bluetooth icon. I assume Xsonic didn't want to pay the licensing fee!

And then there is one more screen needed to pair the Airstep:
connect.jpg

Once you figure the Bluetooth shenanigans, the Airstep works fine. The layout is far better than the Vidami (AirStep five footswitch buttons in a row) and it seems to work seamlessly with YouTube, Homespun and Toby Walker's lessons.

If you look through the options menu (the omnipresent 'gear' symbol), there are further options like default settings (in seconds) for fast forward and reverse. However, the control panel that is now pasted to any of your video windows makes things very easy to adjust. It would be nice if this window could be moved or resized. I know that has been suggested by many.

And I'm not 100% sure, but pretty certain that the pedal can be reprogrammed for many more functions including 'Page Turning'. (this would be using the IOS Update App) It's also likely that it can be used to control a Spark or Katana amp by reprogramming the firmware (not an exercise for the meek as you could brick the device).

Bottom line at two hours in: It works, seems solid and is very nicely priced. I'll be working with it more over the next few days.

Rick

PS: and as mentioned numerous times in this thread, shipping takes a looong time.
PPS: you can add the extensions on to your Chrome, Edge, or Safari browser, even without a pedal if you want to see the interface. And it will work!

Last edited by srick; 03-21-2023 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the review! Mine still says it is in San Bernardino, California. Hasn’t budged in two days…
Old 03-22-2023, 07:23 AM

One thing I'm noticing is that the settings on the player are not 'sticky' between sessions which I find annoying.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
One thing I'm noticing is that the settings on the player are not 'sticky' between sessions which I find annoying.

That will be limiting, unless you always do it the same…

Mine is still in San Bernardino. Two days now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write