The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-25-2023, 07:06 AM

Default Vidami Alternative - Airstep play

Looks like someone (Xsonic, who ever they are) just out Vidamied Vidami.

For $69 (+$9.99 shipping) they offer a pedal that cannot only slow down and loop YouTube videos, but Platform Purple - which means Homespun and Stefan Grossman videos.

So it's on the way and I'll do everyone the favor of putting it through its paces.

Product Description

Screenshot 2023-02-25 075937.jpg

It appears that this company took a different approach than Vidami. Their extension to the usual browsers takes care of the looping, start\stop, speed up\slow down, etc. Vidami was more or less a hardware solution simulating keypresses.

The software includes a metronome and can be used as a page turner. I was able to try it on Chrome this morning (even without the pedal) and it worked fine. My only complaint is that the window with the controls could not be moved or re-sized. Once I get the pedal, I'll see if that's the case. Another thing that looks nice is the linear arrangement of foot switches.

They also make versions for controlling DAWS and the Spark amp. It will be interesting to see if the firmware can be used for this pedal too.

Looks like I haven't grown up - I still can't resist a good toy. (But honey, listen to how much better my playing is! )

Rick
Old 02-25-2023, 09:06 AM

Before ordering, take a look at their Facebook page where there are some insights as to the pluses and minuses of the product. It’s a mix of folks saying,”works great” and “it’s garbage.” As usual, YMMV. And I’ve found that many times with a new product, it’s a matter of keeping up with the revisions.

Time to put my credit card in the freezer, methinks!
Old 02-25-2023, 10:23 AM

I tried the Vidami. It was ok. I didn't like the layout. I think the Xsonic has a better layout and a much better price. I got a full refund minus the $10 shipping cost.

Vidami does not work on Android devices although it didn't affect me. Interesting that the Xsonic does has a small external antenna for Bluetooth. I've have not seen that on BT devices. The Xsonic has more controls. It also can change the pitch and built in a metronome. Also Xsonic has an App or a browser. The App can save multi loops. The unit has a 300 hour battery life which is great. It's unclear if there is an automatic power down mode.

Mine is supposedly to ship on 3/5.

I was tempted to buy the Xsonic pedal that does everything, but I resisted as I had no need for those functions now. It be interested if they could do a firmware upgrade if you wanted a different pedal. Plus I just bought a Wolfram nail file.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 02-25-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post

I was tempted to buy the Xsonic pedal that does everything, but I resisted as I had no need for those functions now. It be interested if they could do a firmware upgrade if you wanted a different pedal. Plus I just bought a Wolfram nail file.
Good for you for resisting the urge. I have purchased a whole bunch of frivolities in the last few weeks and truly have to put my credit card away for a bit! Although as hobbies go, this one is pretty inexpensive.

BTW - the Wolfram file is worth very penny. Treat it carefully and it will last for a long time!

Rick
Old 03-09-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Good for you for resisting the urge. I have purchased a whole bunch of frivolities in the last few weeks and truly have to put my credit card away for a bit! Although as hobbies go, this one is pretty inexpensive.

BTW - the Wolfram file is worth very penny. Treat it carefully and it will last for a long time!

Rick
My supposedly shipped on 3/4 from China but the tracking said it has just received the shipping info and nothing else. I think this is like when recently I purchased window blinds that were shipped from Mexico. I didn't get any real tracking info until the product cleared the US customs
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-09-2023, 10:31 AM

Default Vidami Alternative - Airstep play

Quote:
My supposedly shipped on 3/4 from China but the tracking said it has just received the shipping info and nothing else. I think this is like when recently I purchased window blinds that were shipped from Mexico. I didn't get any real tracking info until the product cleared the US customs
Same here: shipping info received 3/4.

Last edited by srick; 03-09-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Me too, We are all on the same slow boat…
Old 03-10-2023, 10:48 AM

I want a faster boat.

Actually today I got a shipping notice from Ontrac delivery service on a delivery originating from Vernon, CA. It said a label has been created, but it was awaiting the package. It never did say it was from Xsonic, but it did reference the previous tracking number. So it must be close to or has cleared custom in the US.

I really interested how the Xsonic pedal compares to Vidami in real life especially since Xsonic is over half the price of the Vidami pedal, and it has more features.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-10-2023, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

No such message for me, as of yet.

I got the simple $69 version and don’t have need for more than simple controls so I hope for the best.
Old 03-10-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:

I really interested how the Xsonic pedal compares to Vidami in real life especially since Xsonic is over half the price of the Vidami pedal, and it has more features.
since it’s software driven, I suspect it will work well for now. But when browser software is updated, or a new version of Platform Purple is published, will the company be there to support the product?
Old 03-11-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
since it’s software driven, I suspect it will work well for now. But when browser software is updated, or a new version of Platform Purple is published, will the company be there to support the product?
Who knows what company will be around Vidami or Xsonic in the future. However, a software based product is a great feature as hopefully the units can be updated if the browsers change etc. I suspect other companies will jump into this product space with the proliferation of lesson videos on Youtube.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-13-2023, 03:43 PM

Default We have an update!

Quote:
2023-03-13
23:10:29Arrived at Sort Facility chongqing----chongqing
This was a chance to learn a little more about China. Chong Qing (pron. Chun King) is the largest city on earth with a population of 30 million. It’s situated in a mountainous region and is know for its beauty.

It’s a long way from Connecticut!
Old 03-16-2023, 04:47 AM

Well, the package has made it to the Chinese coast:

Quote:
Arrived at Sort Facility dongguan----dongguan
I certainly hope the Airstep is loaded onto a plane and not a container ship…

In 2023, package tracking is a blessing and a curse. Again, another chance to learn about modern day China.
Old 03-16-2023, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

I know! I was just looking at my tracking app. After 12 days, it has finally move from central China to closer to the coast. Not far from Hong Kong.
Next it goes in a row boat and then radio silence for the next 8 weeks.

I ordered custom shirts from Bangkok about a week AFTER I ordered this device. They have been tailored to my measurements and are already in my possession. Sigh.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Transit Copy LinkCopy Details
2023-03-16
21:21:52Departed Facility in dongguan----dongguan
and it shows an airplane icon too!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write