The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-27-2023, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott4079 View Post
I think this illustrates part of the problem. Unlike vintage flattops, the vintage archtop has remained fairly low priced. It's difficult to make a saleable budget model, when you have eighty years of pretty darn nifty inexpensive vintage models to choose from at or near the same price point.

The good news of course is that we archtopians can still get great vintage guitars at great prices (Shhhh....don't tell anyone).
Somewhat less so outside the US, where fewer of the lower end American archtops were sold. In the UK and Europe there are some German archtops that might the gap, though they're quite different in character.
I was fortunate to find my Kalamazoo KG-21 a few years ago, not needing any major work to play well. The prices I see those advertised for have crept up a little in the meantime, though I don't know how reliably they sell at those prices. Still very much cheaper than anything flat topped out of the same factory though.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 02-27-2023, 06:56 AM

The posts and comments about the out-of-production Godin 5th Ave acoustic archtop have finally got my attention: I'm going to keep my eye out to try one!
Old 02-27-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
Somewhat less so outside the US, where fewer of the lower end American archtops were sold. In the UK and Europe there are some German archtops that might the gap, though they're quite different in character..
Good perspective. I forget that there's going to be a significant difference in inventory in Wales than in Los Angeles.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Richard View Post
The posts and comments about the out-of-production Godin 5th Ave acoustic archtop have finally got my attention: I'm going to keep my eye out to try one!
If you do find one, I'd follow Steve DeRosa's advice and fit a set of medium monel strings and shape up a rosewood bridge. The fitted Graphtec bridge is a little bright, and the 12-54 PB strings underpowered for purely acoustic playing (though I believe that both are good for the versions with pick-ups). The difference in timbre and volume is remarkable with a new bridge and monel or pure nickel medium strings on the acoustic version.

The Tusq nut's string spacing doesn't make the most of the available width of the 1.72" neck. I haven't changed mine yet but it is on the cards when I find a few hours to make a new nut.

Finally, it seems that some of the early ones had a glue-on neck. There have been a couple of reports here on AGF of the necks loosening. Latterly, the necks are bolt-on and the bolts are clearly visible through the F holes, so it is an easy check. I have not seen any reports of problems with the bolt-on necks.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:50 PM

Does the kingpin with the single p90 suffer much tonally when played unplugged compared to the 5th Avenue acoustic? How does the Loar LH309 compare to the old student models from yesteryears when played as an acoustic, since it carries a solid carved wood top? The Godin is laminated, as were the vast majority of those old student model archtops, weren’t they?
Old 03-05-2023, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
Does the kingpin with the single p90 suffer much tonally when played unplugged compared to the 5th Avenue acoustic? How does the Loar LH309 compare to the old student models from yesteryears when played as an acoustic, since it carries a solid carved wood top? The Godin is laminated, as were the vast majority of those old student model archtops, weren’t they?
Steve DeRosa has both the P90 and purely acoustic versions I believe, so he may be able to answer your questions.

I'm very happy with the acoustic timbre of my 5th Avenue (purely acoustic version). I played it for a solo Carter style song at a concert in a local hotel function room last week. 70+ in the audience - no p/a. Even with my basic "campfire" level of playing and singing the guitar filled the room.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-05-2023, 07:22 PM

Thank you for that insight. I sampled a 5th Avenue a number of years back and really liked what I was hearing. I’m not a jazz comp sort of guy. I just make feeble attempts at some of those old Carter family tunes and old Country and folk or Americana type stuff. Yes. Mr. DeRosa is the man in the know for archtop tone I think!
Old 03-06-2023, 02:08 AM
Charter Member

Country/folk/Americana is exactly what I use my 5th Avenue for. Very simple "campfire" playing and singing. It's also a great guitar to pull out when your friends are playing their dreads.

Old 03-06-2023, 05:16 AM

Default One for sale -

Just noticed a Godin 5th Avenue acoustic up for sale in Nottingham on reverb. £400. Local pickup only.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 03-06-2023, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Scot in Otley View Post
Just noticed a Godin 5th Avenue acoustic up for sale in Nottingham on reverb. £400. Local pickup only.
Hi Malcolm,

I'm in Lillehammer at the moment. Heading up north to Tromso at the end of the week. I can't see the Reverb listing as all I'm getting is the Norwegian website. LOL!!!

Old 03-06-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Hi Malcolm,

I'm in Lillehammer at the moment. Heading up north to Tromso at the end of the week. I can't see the Reverb listing as all I'm getting is the Norwegian website. LOL!!!
Tromso! Wow, that's proper North, that is. Is there any daylight there yet? You'll need a big old loud guitar to scare away those polar bears

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 03-06-2023, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tromso! Wow, that's proper North, that is. Is there any daylight there yet? You'll need a big old loud guitar to scare away those polar bears
Yes, I have foolishly booked myself on to a ski touring trip to climb and ski some of the mountains on the island of Senja. I should know better at my age!!!

I think that there's daylight now? I have packed my head torch!

Old 03-06-2023, 02:42 PM

Holy Cow! I never touched a ski until
My mid-fifties and have only been on the snow for a few days each year for the last 8. Powder is a thing I can’t seem to come to terms with. It looks like you will be waist deep in the stuff! Have fun!
Old 03-10-2023, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I’m on my third archtop , but to be fair only one is a true acoustic - a 1957 New Yorker. Love the unique tone it produces. The other two are Ibanez jazz guitars. Just got the AK86 in violin sunburst. Loving it!
Old 03-12-2023, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

No polar bears sighted! But a few reindeer. Hugely atmospheric ski touring above the fjords, lots and lots of powder, and weather!!! I took this photo a couple of hours ago on a summit we skinned up to above Tromso.

OK, now back to wonderful arch tops.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops