The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Guest 61722

San Francisco weighing in here...

"Ripple" by the Grateful Dead, if you think the crowd would be amenable. It's really a pretty song. Contemplative without being sad.

If it's a celebration of life type memorial service, and again, depending on the audience and the departed, the song "I Just Want to Celebrate Another Day" by Rare Earth has an uplifting message but would require some arranging to sound good on a solo acoustic guitar.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:41 PM

"I've been asked to play a set at the gathering after the funeral of one of my club members."

Honestly, make it personal if you can, but it also depends on the person.
If you can find a list of their favorite songs somewhere, see what can be used.

For instance, I love the song "Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M.,but my GOSH, I would absolutely roll over in my grave if someone played that. Instead, I would love to have them play "End of the Line" by the Traveling Wilburys.

Is this going to be a set where you are mourning the person who passed, or celebrating their life?
I would hope that my funeral is a PARTY, not a cry fest.
The 5 song set I would want played for me.
Someone to do a Filk of "Ding dong the witch is dead", with witch replaced with a not so nice name for a child born out of wedlock or some other sort of thing
If no one can come up with a filk, then It's the End of the World and (replace I feel with He Feels) fine
Leader of the band - Dan Fogelburg - Okay, one sappy one
(if I could squeeze in a 6th) Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox When I Die - Joe Diffie
Country Roads - John Denver - maybe 2
Take it Easy - Eagles
End of the Line - Traveling Wilburys

That said, I would also want people to go from the funeral to an amusement part, or a Renaissance Faire, a concert, or some other place that I enjoyed in life.

You remember Stonehauler's funeral? Yeah, it was a blast. I rode so many coasters that day and ate way too much carnival food! or...Yeah, his wife had a band come and we danced for a few hours, then went back to his wife's place and re-watched Lord of the Rings Extended Edition, drank his homebrew and played a bunch of songs.

So I would not want people playing dirges or sappy songs for me, but happy ones, celebrating my life.

TL;DR - So, think about what your friend would have wanted. Happy, sad, sappy, bright, a mix, Country, Rock, Pop, Hip Hop, Alternative, classics, old, new, whatever. Mourn, celebrate, and otherwise give people something that is uniquely your friend.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple

Last edited by Stonehauler; 02-23-2023 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:54 PM

In a similar situation we did Flowers of the Forest, Both Sides Now, and some Irish tunes that sound good at a slow-moderate tempo (Morgan Magan, Banish Misfortune) - all instrumental.

D.H.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
Truthfully I wouldn't make them all tearjerkers. Tell a funny story about your friend and maybe play a couple of his old favorites.
Thanks Bob, you make a good point.

The chap was a nice guy but not a close friend. I guess he was late '50s, early '60s, and he always played with his wife.

I can't relate any stories about him as I didn't know him that well, but your point is well made - some uplifting or amusing songs might be best.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:36 PM

A few that have been played at funerals for my friends:

Fire and Rain ..James Taylor
In My Life..Beatles
Audios..Jimmy Webb/Linda Ronstadt
Only Good Times ..Keola Beamer
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 02-21-2023, 07:24 PM

I am a pilgrim
Old 02-21-2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
I am a pilgrim
Alternately, Steve Earle's "Pilgrim"
Old 02-22-2023, 01:37 AM

My late and truly amazing Dad was a massive Bob Dylan fan.
I chose 'Forever Young' and 'Bob Dylan's Dream' to play at his funeral.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:38 AM

Macca's "Picasso's Last Words."
Old 02-22-2023, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
San Francisco weighing in here...

"Ripple" by the Grateful Dead, if you think the crowd would be amenable. It's really a pretty song. Contemplative without being sad.
A fine choice.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-22-2023, 09:36 AM

Eva Cassidy's " I Know You by Heart" and Bruce Cockburn's "Festival of Friends" are both beautiful.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I had to do that for my friend Ron. A group of us played "Wagon Wheel" at his funeral because, as the local school's peripatetic guitar tutor, he'd taught it to every kid in the area! The funeral home didn't quite know what to make of it!

The night before he died a whole bunch of us went up to his house and sat around his bed - he was unconscious with all the drugs - we took down his guitars from the wall, opened up his prize whiskey bottles and murdered all his favourite songs!!! We carried on in the same vein at his wake.

Sometimes the most respectful thing that you can do for someone is to have the party that they would have loved. I still play some of Ron's favourite songs whenever we gather, but at least having practiced them I can do them justice now!
I like this a lot. I love the thought of my friends doing horrible versions of songs I enjoyed on my guitars all wearing big buckles and clothes with lots of jingly bit's. Really need to do that before I leave (minus the buckle rash and scratches)
Old 02-23-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Thanks Bob, you make a good point.

The chap was a nice guy but not a close friend. I guess he was late '50s, early '60s, and he always played with his wife.

I can't relate any stories about him as I didn't know him that well, but your point is well made - some uplifting or amusing songs might be best.

Thanks for your input.
100%. I'm thinking "New Orleans Jazz Funeral Style". Lots of upbeat and happy music to send off the departed with class and to celebrate a life well lived!
Old 02-24-2023, 11:31 PM

I’ve sung at two funerals (for each of my parents). For my mom, I sang “How Can I Keep From Singing” and for my dad, “We’ll Meet Again.” People thought they were nice tributes. I think they’re both good songs for the purpose.
Emerald X20 2021
Maton EBG 808TE 2011
Stonebridge OM32LMDB 2015
Martin D16e (GC Special) 2020
Taylor GS Mini 2015
Taylor 420 1995
Martin 00-17 1953 (with daughter)
Yamaha 325e 2014 (traded)
Old 02-25-2023, 09:34 PM

At my mother's funeral, I played "Just a Closer Walk with Thee", pretty, meaningful, and slow, like in church. Then 2/3 of the way through, I jumped to "hot", like at a New Orleans funeral - you play mournfully on the way to the graveyard and whoop it up on the way back, the idea being you mourn someone, but life goes on. You should have seen the audience reaction when I went to hot. They'll remember that funeral. My mother would have approved, too.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write