The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-20-2019, 10:04 AM

Default Favorite Acoustic Repair YouTube channels?

I've recently discovered I love watching acoustic guitar repairs on YouTube. I really like Ted Woodford and Jerry Rosa, especially for the way they walk you through their thought processes as they go. To me, it's a lot like watching Bob Ross paint - I'm not going to try any of this, but it's fascinating to watch.

Anyone else enjoy this, and what are your favorite channels?

Old 12-08-2020, 03:11 AM

Old thread here that I found through search.
Discovered Ted Woodford's amazing channel only a few weeks ago. Could watch that all day. Check it out!
Old 12-08-2020, 09:22 AM

Those are my two favourite repair channels also.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:49 AM

What LITTLE I know about guitar repair I have learned by watching YouTube Videos. Rosa String Works and Woodford instruments. Both do their best to show exactly what and why they do the things they do. The often make repairs on "cheap" but servacable guitars to either show viewers how its can be done. or to satisfy the wants of a customer. As a former repair shop owner, I know the value of pleasing the customer, even when it makes no economic sense. After watching some 100 or so videos I have done quite few repairs on my two guitars and all have been successful. I then did a refret job on my mandolin which came out very well. Before the frets stopped short of the binding, and the beveled ends were under the strings. Than made the mandolin unplayable, After I replace the frets, it works like it should.

Last edited by Uflatpick; 12-08-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:15 PM

Default RSW and Woodford

My favorite is Jerry Rosa and Rosa String Works.
I am in the process of rejuvenating my mid to late 60s Regal Jumbo Western. I am almost finished with it and the vast majority comes from him.

Instead of a traditional neck reset, I'm using the steam neck reset where you steam the inside the upper bout and then pull the neck down with clamps. I have about 2 more weeks to go and if it works it will save me $500 and cost me the price of a couple of clamps. ($30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTVz...nnel=JohnMiner

Then she will be for the most part done and in better playing shape than when she was new.

Ron
Old 12-09-2020, 05:18 PM

Rosa String Works! Love Jerry’s videos.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 12-09-2020, 08:16 PM

This guy on has this and one other video.. but I could watch him on every job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n-Yah_F7Fs
Old 12-18-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Agree 100%

I love watching these two guitar repair experts on YouTube also . Each of these Luthiers has taught me countless tricks and techniques, it's hard to name them all. I owe Jerry Rosa and Ted Woodford a great deal of thanks for sharing their knowledge and skills. Watching them work gave me the confidence and understanding to begin buying vintage archtop guitars in need of repair, real cheap, fix them up and then own stunning examples of American musical instrument history without breaking the bank.

I'm working on three projects right now, one is a 1938 Epiphone Triumph, one is a 1908(?) Gibson L-1, and the third project is a 1930s Kalamazoo KG-31.

The little L-1 came to me in a world-of-hurt. The previous owner(s) took the back off and sawed the very delicate transverse braces in half , then proceeded to glue a thick, poorly shaped parallel brace, and other nonsense pieces of wood, to the hand carved adirondack red spruce top .

1908 Gibson L-1 Restoration back removal 11-04-2020 018.jpg

Nevertheless, I have rescued this little archtop gem, and with the help of my two friends on YouTube, I am restoring this piece of Gibson archtop history to its original glory. My plan is to start a new thread on this forum soon, so that everyone can review my progress.

Thanks Jerry and Ted

1918 Gibson L-1
1928 Gibson L-4 (Blond w/Ebony Fret-board)
1930's Kalamazoo KG-32
1930's Gretsch F-50
1934 Gibson L-7
1934 Gibson L-50 (KG-11/14 Body Shape)
1935 Gibson L-50 (Flat-back)
1935 Gibson L-30 (Flat-back)
1942 Gibson L-50 (WWII Banner Head)
1948 Gibson L-50
1949 Epiphone Blackstone

"a sharp mind cuts cleaner than a sharp tool"
Old 12-27-2020, 06:10 PM

I love Ted Woodfords channel.

That guy is a true professional.

I wish I lived closer so I could get him my Martin for a neck reset.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:39 PM

Been watching Ted Woodford for a while now, did a search on here and bumped this thread. Ted's channel is excellent, and I really like Ted's personality and mindset. He has that dry Canadian sense of humor, he's super-knowledgeable, he loves both the lore and the engineering of guitars, and he's a good player as well.

Ted is also very good about weighing the pros and cons of any particular repair. He's not a complete pragmatist--i.e., every repair doesn't have to be justified by its cost relative to the instrument's value--but he does understand ROI. At the same time, he understands that sometimes guitars have value beyond money, and he's willing to indulge an expensive or tricky repair that exceeds the value of the instrument if the owner has a decent reason to ask for it.

He's not flashy--no Dan Erlewine/StewMac videos that are all product placement, or fancy editing. Pretty much what you get is a big Canadian guy in flannel fixing guitars with care, expertise and a little dry humor.

Anyway, check him out on YouTube.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:17 PM

If you haven't watched Bryan Kimsey's videos, you are missing out on a terrific Martin expert and a better person.
Bill
Old 01-29-2023, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

My hands-down favorite is Ted Woodford. I'm not only thoroughly impressed by his skills, knowledge, and workmanship, but I really like his sense of ethics. When he walks you through his decision-making process I've repeatedly found myself saying "I would trust this guy to work on any guitar I own"

I watched Jimmy DeRosa's videos for more than a year and have plenty of respect for his skills and experience, and while I don't actively dislike him, there's something about his personality that very subtly rubs me the wrong way. No logical reason for that, it just is

One new discovery that I stumbled upon a short while back is the fellow who runs the ogsworks channel. No talking at all, but his hands speak for him. His restoration of a Yamaha L-55 that was badly burned in a fire is nothing short of awe-inspiring

https://www.youtube.com/@ogsworks/videos
Old 02-02-2023, 06:24 PM

I find Jerry Rosa’s videos to be very entertaining in that it’s like watching a train wreck. Have you seen this job on this 00-18? I almost couldn’t take it.

https://youtu.be/lTq1Qth1VOs
Old 02-03-2023, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

I too, like watching Jerry Rosa.

He and I differ greatly on setups. But that's just a preference issue.

What amazes me is, he is not afraid to tackle anything.

And can seem to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, every time.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

I've watched a few L-00 videos lately. I stumbled over this fellow doing
a big repair on one... he did a bunch of interesting things and was good
at showing them and talking about them.

It was also good to stumble over Guthrie Trapp and Joe Robinson
playing L-00s

I like watching the Stewmac guy's how-to videos, even though he always
makes sure to use every tool stewmac sells ...

-Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair