The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-23-2022, 05:11 PM

Default Traveling with openback banjo?

I was curious if anyone flies frequently with an openback banjo, and if you do are you flying with your main banjo or something like a Deering good time ?

Appreciate any replies.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:17 PM

Don't know what your particular needs are, but OB banjos easily fit into an overhead bin if in a gigbag.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:27 AM

Yeah I’m concerned about the musicians plight of carrying a gig bag and being forced to gate check it.

If folks were having success with gig bags I would wonder if they are running reunion blues or something similar. I’m basically toying around with either a high end gig bag or low end travel instrument.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:43 AM

Think the necks on most open backs are too long for the bins. Short scales probably work fine. Superior makes a good case that's maybe flight worthy for just over $100. You could call Smakula Fretted instruments and talk to the owner who can advise you, he knows pretty much everything about banjos and sells the Superior cases.
Old 12-27-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsepicker View Post
Think the necks on most open backs are too long for the bins. Short scales probably work fine. Superior makes a good case that's maybe flight worthy for just over $100. You could call Smakula Fretted instruments and talk to the owner who can advise you, he knows pretty much everything about banjos and sells the Superior cases.
I guess bins have downsized since I flew with banjos. Albeit, it's been about 15 years.

If there's a chance that you'll have to baggage check it, I would advise against taking anything you wouldn't want to risk damage - unless you have a flight case.
Old 12-28-2022, 12:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments