The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-19-2022, 12:26 AM

Default Anyone know what these are? (Foot percussion)

Hard to get a clear view but what foot percussion does Brown Bird use?

Here’s a video… https://youtu.be/GpucWAzv3pU

He’s got a kick drum along with some sort of tamborine and block or something..can’t find anything similar looking online though.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:12 AM

Can’t tell it’s for sure one of theirs but same concept here from Farmer Foot Drums:
https://www.footdrums.com
'04 Martin D28
'13 Martin 0-15M Custom Mahogany
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke
Old 10-19-2022, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

There is also a Porch Board Bass which gives some low, thumping percussion options controlled by the foot. I read where the Farmers might be more versatile though.
Best,
Jayne
Old 10-19-2022, 07:58 AM

You can't tell much by looking at it .... He's got some cover over whatever's in there, but it sure sounds like a tambourine. One other thing there, with the left foot. Maybe a wood block, with foot pedals to both.

Sounds good! Gig money goes further when you don't need a drummer.

Turtle
Old 10-19-2022, 08:12 AM

Weird… so maybe it’s just a couple modified kick pedals with something jerry rigged up? I’ve seen the Farmer stuff, way too expensive and they use a drumstick rigid to the pedal. I prefer the action of a proper kick drum pedal like he’s using. Any ideas how I could rig this up, so it’s not too ghetto as in duct tape and superglue? Lol. I’m not even sure what type of hammers he’s using…those little red heads, I haven’t seen those before. He uses them in all performance videos but the camera never gets a good view of them.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:28 AM

As a drummer, I can tell you, this sort of stuff can be dirt cheap ..... Kick pedals, beaters, stuff to hit them with. If you rig it up yourself it shouldn't cost that much. You can find these things in pawn shops, yard sales, CL, free off of drummers like me, probably, to friends, with stuff just lying around. The only thing that might cost a bit more is the kick drum itself. Even that could be really low cost, and sound good. I could put that thing he's got there together (might take some time, might not sound quite as good) for a few hundred dollars, or quite a bit less than that, depending.

I just took a look at the Farmer's Foot Drum system ..... Imo, that is a head spinning cost. Most of the full on drum kits I've bought haven't cost that much.

Turtle

Last edited by turtlejimmy; 10-19-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:39 AM

Here’s the best pic I can get of it…from a different video

Even the beaters are something I’ve never seen
https://imgur.com/a/I8G5t16

https://i.imgur.com/e6T0Npz.jpg

Well I can’t even figure out how to post the pic
Old 10-19-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejimmy View Post
As a drummer, I can tell you, this sort of stuff can be dirt cheap ..... Kick pedals, beaters, stuff to hit them with. If you rig it up yourself it shouldn't cost that much. You can find these things in pawn shops, yard sales, CL, free off of drummers like me, probably, to friends, with stuff just lying around. The only thing that might cost a bit more is the kick drum itself. Even that could be really low cost, and sound good. I could put that thing he's got there together (might take some time, might not sound quite as good) for a few hundred dollars, or quite a bit less than that, depending.

I just took a look at the Farmer's Foot Drum system ..... Imo, that is a head spinning cost. Most of the full on drum kits I've bought haven't cost that much.

Turtle
Yeah for sure… I used to build ghetto versions of the farmer stuff when I was a kid, nice quality and design for their full kit but I don’t like their single pedals.

Any thoughts on a tambourine and block setup with kick pedals? I’m surprised it’s so hard to find a pre-worked solution. Back to duct tape, super glue and some imagination I guess lol.

Here’s a pic of his setup again, zoomed in best I could get https://imgur.com/a/I8G5t16
Old 10-19-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
Here’s the best pic I can get of it…from a different video

Even the beaters are something I’ve never seen
https://imgur.com/a/I8G5t16

https://i.imgur.com/e6T0Npz.jpg

Well I can’t even figure out how to post the pic

Those "beaters" he's using look like the handles of screwdrivers. Cost just went down.

Turtle
Old 10-19-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah for sure… I used to build ghetto versions of the farmer stuff when I was a kid, nice quality and design for their full kit but I don’t like their single pedals.

Any thoughts on a tambourine and block setup with kick pedals? I’m surprised it’s so hard to find a pre-worked solution. Back to duct tape, super glue and some imagination I guess lol.

Here’s a pic of his setup again, zoomed in best I could get https://imgur.com/a/I8G5t16

Well, it seems to me that the only thing that's difficult at all to rig up here is something to hold the tambourine and the wood block in place, connected to pedals that can hit them. The kick drum is pretty automatic, it'll have something of course to attach the pedal to. Maybe out of wood, so you could actually screw it together, rather than using duct tape?

Of course, it's not going to be as easy/fun to schlepp that around, the Farmer's thing is undoubtedly more compact.

Turtle
Old 10-19-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Those "beaters" he's using look like the handles of screwdrivers. Cost just went down.

Turtle
I found the beaters he’s using…they are just 2 sided beaters plastic/rubber

Quote:
Well, it seems to me that the only thing that's difficult at all to rig up here is something to hold the tambourine and the wood block in place, connected to pedals that can hit them. The kick drum is pretty automatic, it'll have something of course to attach the pedal to. Maybe out of wood, so you could actually screw it together, rather than using duct tape?

Of course, it's not going to be as easy/fun to schlepp that around, the Farmer's thing is undoubtedly more compact.

Turtle
It’s hard for me to believe that every manufacturer of drums and percussion instruments and hardware doesn’t produce a percussion mounting attachment for kick pedals…. But I can’t find them. You can find complete body instruments that have levers and strings with drums, symbols, bells, whistles and anything else you can think of attached to them for the crazy street performer guy that does a one man marching band with kazoo act but can’t find a tambourine attachment for a foot drum pedal? That’s crazy. I guess I’ll get some steel rods and make my own. I suppose I can just haul a hi-hat stand around too.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
As a drummer, I can tell you, this sort of stuff can be dirt cheap ..... Kick pedals, beaters, stuff to hit them with. If you rig it up yourself it shouldn't cost that much. You can find these things in pawn shops, yard sales, CL, free off of drummers like me probably, to friends with stuff just lying around. The only thing that might cost a bit more is the kick drum itself. Even that could be really low cost, and sound good. I could put that thing he's got there together (might take some time, might not sound quite as good) for a few hundred dollars, or quite a bit less than that, depending.

I just took a look at the Farmer's Foot Drum system ..... Imo, that is a head spinning cost. Most of the full-on drum kits I've bought haven't cost that much...
As stated above, I could put together a basic kick drum/hi-hat+tambourine setup from CL/yard sale/thrift-store components for as little as $150 with a little patience...

There's nothing in this world, no idea, that somebody won't repackage and find a way to charge an arm, a leg, and a couple other highly useful appendages for...

About 25 years ago I saw a glider/ottoman set - oak construction, cushions available in either print or solid colors - for $89 at my local K-Mart...

Could've had a local handyman make a set of props to convert it to armless configuration for about $25-30 at the time...

Heard the Pick-N-Gilder is selling for $400 these days - yep, same made-in-China chair minus arms and ottoman...

Betcha the Farmer Footdrum folks sell a whole bunch of them...
Old 10-19-2022, 04:38 PM
Guitar Gourmet

You do know that the band you are referring to, Brown Bird, was dissolved in 2014 as a result of the lead vocalist's death from leukemia, don't you? More, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-20-2022, 02:30 AM

Quote:
I found the beaters he’s using…they are just 2 sided beaters plastic/rubber

It’s hard for me to believe that every manufacturer of drums and percussion instruments and hardware doesn’t produce a percussion mounting attachment for kick pedals…. But I can’t find them. You can find complete body instruments that have levers and strings with drums, symbols, bells, whistles and anything else you can think of attached to them for the crazy street performer guy that does a one man marching band with kazoo act but can’t find a tambourine attachment for a foot drum pedal? That’s crazy. I guess I’ll get some steel rods and make my own. I suppose I can just haul a hi-hat stand around too.

I agree, it makes zero sense. Electric guitarists have a wide variety of "pedal boards" that can accommodate their electronic gizmos, in an orderly fashion, but nothing for drum pedals?

The guitar player's inner drummer is getting short changed here! It's just not right.

Turtle
Old 10-20-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
You do know that the band you are referring to, Brown Bird, was dissolved in 2014 as a result of the lead vocalist's death from leukemia, don't you? More, HERE.

Bob
That’s a real tragedy…but I don’t think it’s because of his foot pedals he used. He was a phenomenal songwriter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments