The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-26-2022, 03:38 PM

Default National raw series in the house

I’ve just spent the first days with a new Raw brass 12 fret National, probably the only left in EU still for sale (wait list is approx 1 yr.) and I like it, a lot. Out of the Nationals I had, including a great ‘37 duolian, style Os and also a steel Mule, all single cones, this is the best of all in terms of sound. Big, thick, warm and sustained with excellent balance across the range. Not as loud as a steel National but definitely louder than the Mule. One concern I had, shared by many, was the finish of the neck. A pastel brownish color which leave some grain visible on the back of the neck, solid everywhere else. I hated it on the photos and I was ready to strip it down and finish it with tru-oil. But seen in real life, it’s.. interesting, unusual, very well made, not “plastiky” like someone described it. Kudos to National for trying something away from the masses.. anyway, love it! Next is going to be a Krivo rosewood pickup and then just play the hell out of it and let it age like only raw brass can
Old 11-29-2022, 02:29 PM

How do you keep the thing from the greening up on you. I had one of their earlier brass Nationals that I LOVED the sound of, but my hands would get stained green from some gigs. Someone told me I could wax the body but I never tried that. Here I am playing some of my original songs in a ridiculously noisy venue (ski resort) on that Reso (it could cut through the noise)...

Old 12-01-2022, 10:56 PM

Wax is the way. the guitar came with a can of wax, but any caruba based wax makes it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments