The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-08-2022, 02:07 AM

Default I've gone mando crazy NMD Flatiron Performer A

I saw this one for sale on mandocafe, a 1994 Flatiron Performer A, and I jumped on it. Why? Because I wanted a little A model that I could put Thomastik Flatwounds on. They don't sound good on my Vintage A1 Gibson, but I loved them on my Breedlove A model that just I sold to a friend. So I took a chance on it. I only sold the Breedlove because of the wide neck, as I wanted my A mando, to have the same nut width as my Gibson F5G, 1
-1/16

Well the mando just got here today for my birthday!!! Who hoo! But when I picked up the box, I was worried because the case was moving all around. Funny thing, the guy who sold it to me paid a Staples shipping center for packaging!!! Wait a second, I paid for the packaging!!! Fortunately the case and the mando made it safe and sound!

After a very close inspection, I found it to be in overall excellent condition! Because of it's age, I was surprised by the that. Everything looked good except, the strings, tarnished frets, and a pretty tarnished tailpiece. I think this mando sat for awhile without being played.

So I yanked off the strings, cleaned off the tarnished frets with 0000 steel wool, wiped the fretboard down with naptha, and then lightly oiled the board with some clarinet bore oil. I buffed off any excess oil and further polished the frets.

I also polished the tailpiece cover with some Cape Cod metal polish!

Then I carefully put on the Thomastik Medium Flatwounds. I say carefully, because their loop ends are known to be fragile. Well everything went well and the strings tuned up to pitch very quickly. I also set the intonation, and the string playing height, and fortunately that went very smoothly too!

Soon as I got it setup, I was rewarded with some killer tone. with just the right balance of sweet high end, and wood warmth. And bonus, it plays great, very much like my F5G which I love. Maybe that's because by 1994, Flatiron was owned by Gibson.

The quality on this mando is extremely high, which makes sense, as by that time, the shop in Bozeman was headed up by Ren Ferguson, and Bruce Weber was also on the staff!

It's a beauty, check it out...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 09-09-2022 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:56 AM

Very nice looking mandolin! Congrats!
Old 09-08-2022, 05:09 AM

Flatirons are generally great instruments.

I've got one of its siblings, an '85 A-Jr.

D.H.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia View Post
Very nice looking mandolin! Congrats!
Thanks, I was surprised at it's looks, because the seller took some not so flattering pictures, I had my fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
Flatirons are generally great instruments.

I've got one of its siblings, an '85 A-Jr.

D.H.
I heard the early A models were some of the best built of the bunch, and I saw your actual mandolin on the mandolincafe

Last edited by rockabilly69; 03-01-2024 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your mandolin. Remember Gibson bought Flatiron because they were making better mandolins at the time.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-08-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Congratulations on your mandolin. Remember Gibson bought Flatiron because they were making better mandolins at the time.
Yeah and they got Ren Ferguson in the deal, and shortly after Bruce Weber To be fair to Gibson though, my new F5G is one of the sweetest mandolins I've ever picked up and had the pleasure of playing, and that includes mandolins that cost twice as much.

BTW I spent a few hours setting this one up and letting the Thomastik strings set in on their own without undo stretching. And this morning, soon as I poured my morning coffee, the first thing I did was play this little Flatiron for about an hour. What a great way to start the day.

My end goal was to have a lower volume, but sweet sounding mandolin, with the 1 1/16" width, and this little mando fits the bill. And I've decided that I like unbound necks and this slightly bigger fret wire.

I already sold my Breedlove A-Model, and a good friend is buying my Breedlove F model, so I will be down to the F5G, The Vintage A1, and this Flatiron, all with Gibson Heritage. I'm going to keep the phosphor bronze strings on the Oval so all three will have considerably different tone...

Old 09-09-2022, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

The Dave Harvey era is truly a golden time. And really, if you want a Gibson tone you need a Gibson. The lowly ( Ha, $5,000+) F 9 is a fine sounding mandolin. Flatirons aren't the bargain they used to be, but what is?

IMHO, you have a long way to go until you go mando crazy, at least the Gibson Goldrush, or Collings varnish F 5, or a Ruhland. The list goes on.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Last edited by Br1ck; 09-09-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Nice, but I think you mean 1-1/16. 1-11/16 would be a Martin 00!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I saw this one for sale on mandocafe, a 1994 Flatiron Performer A, and I jumped on it. Why? Because I wanted a little A model that I could put Thomastik Flatwounds on. They don't sound good on my Vintage A1 Gibson, but I loved them on my Breedlove A model that just I sold to a friend. So I took a chance on it. I only sold the Breedlove because of the wide neck, as I wanted my A mando, to have the same nut width as my Gibson F5G, 1
-11/16

Well the mando just got here today for my birthday!!! Who hoo! But when I picked up the box, I was worried because the case was moving all around. Funny thing, the guy who sold it to me paid a Staples shipping center for packaging!!! Wait a second, I paid for the packaging!!! Fortunately the case and the mando made it safe and sound!

After a very close inspection, I found it to be in overall excellent condition! Because of it's age, I was surprised by the that. Everything looked good except, the strings, tarnished frets, and a pretty tarnished tailpiece. I think this mando sat for awhile without being played.

So I yanked off the strings, cleaned off the tarnished frets with 0000 steel wool, wiped the fretboard down with naptha, and then lightly oiled the board with some clarinet bore oil. I buffed off any excess oil and further polished the frets.

I also polished the tailpiece cover with some Cape Cod metal polish!

Then I carefully put on the Thomastik Medium Flatwounds. I say carefully, because their loop ends are known to be fragile. Well everything went well and the strings tuned up to pitch very quickly. I also set the intonation, and the string playing height, and fortunately that went very smoothly too!

Soon as I got it setup, I was rewarded with some killer tone. with just the right balance of sweet high end, and wood warmth. And bonus, it plays great, very much like my F5G which I love. Maybe that's because by 1994, Flatiron was owned by Gibson.

The quality on this mando is extremely high, which makes sense, as by that time, the shop in Bozeman was headed up by Ren Ferguson, and Bruce Weber was also on the staff!

It's a beauty, check it out...

Old 09-09-2022, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Man, that's very cool, Daniel! What a great looking A style Mando! Big Congrats!!!

- Glenn
Old 09-09-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Nice, but I think you mean 1-1/16. 1-11/16 would be a Martin 00!
Yes Marty, I was a little quick on the keyboard :-) thanks for pointing that out and edited my original post!

Last edited by rockabilly69; 09-10-2022 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
The Dave Harvey era is truly a golden time. And really, if you want a Gibson tone you need a Gibson. The lowly ( Ha, $5,000+) F 9 is a fine sounding mandolin. Flatirons aren't the bargain they used to be, but what is?

IMHO, you have a long way to go until you go mando crazy, at least the Gibson Goldrush, or Collings varnish F 5, or a Ruhland. The list goes on.
Don’t put those evil seeds in my head :-)
Old 09-09-2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Man, that's very cool, Daniel! What a great looking A style Mando! Big Congrats!!!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn, it a great sounding little mando!
Old 09-10-2022, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Don’t put those evil seeds in my head :-)
Tell me your thoughts haven't already gone there, and I'll feel guilty. It's like a guy having a Matisse and lusting for a Monet. Or two. But really, you have at least six months reprieve. At least you should.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 09-10-2022, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Nice.

How does the volume compare to your Gibsons. I was eyeing a couple of those models a while back, and a lot of folks said that the ones without the raised (or cantilevered, or whatever) fretboard extensions had nice tone, but maybe not quite the bark of some others.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 09-11-2022, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Nice.

How does the volume compare to your Gibsons. I was eyeing a couple of those models a while back, and a lot of folks said that the ones without the raised (or cantilevered, or whatever) fretboard extensions had nice tone, but maybe not quite the bark of some others.
There's a little sag in the bridge, and when I replace it in a few days with a Cumberland replacement bridge, I will let you know my honest opinion. Gibson teen era Oval holes are attached bridges, and my 1917 Gibson A1 is loud! And as you probably know, Gibson F5Gs are loud, so most likely the little Flatiron will come up short compared to them volume wise, but even with the sagging bridge it has good volume, and great tone.

I bought the Flatiron because I wanted a pretty sounding mandolin, not a barker. And with the Thomastik flatwound strings it sounds fantastic.

I'm not a bluegrass player, or an Celtic music guy, I'm a rock and roller, so I want different things from a mandolin that many others. I write most of the mandolin songs that I play...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 09-11-2022 at 02:11 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments