The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

All things being equal, then I would go for something like a loyalty program. Something like Bass Pro Shops, where you accumulate points that can be used towards future purchases. Their points don't expire, so I try to buy from them to build up my points. It might be little things, but they add up.

I really like loyalty programs. It makes me choose that retailer as a go to seller.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:09 PM

The one who finally caves in and gives it to me for free so that I will just shut and and quit buggin' them.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:37 PM

Just speaking with the dealer isn't what I was referring to... example.. this morning.. I got a call from my Sweetwater rep... why? Because he wanted to know if the 200 dollar amp I bought was everything I hoped it would be. And when I said it was okay and just had an operational issue that I couldn't figure out and i was waiting for the manufacture to clarify operational instructions. He said that he would follow up in a few days and if I wasn't satisfied he would be sure to offer me a refund if wished to have one and felt the amp wasn't going to meet my needs.

He didn't have to make the call this morning. He certainly didn't have to pencil in a follow up two days from now. He was fostering loyalty and setting his brand apart with customer service. And while your bullet points are nice nothing speaks to me a customer as strongly as customer service.

Now to directly answer your narrowed scope of the question. I want it on the truck yesterday! #1 I want 2 weeks to deal with return issues because my life is hectic and I may not touch it for that length of time to know if it needs returning #2 ... free shipping I come to expect it in a lot of cases so while it may not set you apart it may flag you if you don't provide it. (and this depends on some factors)

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 04-21-2015, 03:57 PM

Maury:

For me the answer is "none of the above". If I have the financial capability to buy a nice Martin from you, I am not going to worry about cost. Customer service is my deciding factor.

Luke
Old 04-21-2015, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

All things being equal, I would go with proximity. Less time in shipping would tilt the scale for me, if i were to purchase sight unseen, which i don't do any more.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-21-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
For the sake of this discussion, let's say you've found the same guitar at the same price at 5 authorized dealers.
cost of shipping from the dealer to you
The price of a $2000 item with $75 shipping is $2075. If the shipping costs differ, the five shops don't have the guitar at the same price.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Guest2145

If the salesperson is honest and knows guitars, then I don't expect to return a purchase, and if I do, I'm totally fine with paying return shipping and even a reasonable stock fee.

So for my answer, I suppose it's processing time, because shipping isn't that costly, and I'm much more likely to get upset and choose another dealer if I send the funds but my order isn't processed and shipped out ASAP.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
For the sake of this discussion, let's say you've found the same guitar at the same price at 5 authorized dealers. All 5 dealers have shown you the exact same level of product knowledge & good customer service. All 5 enjoy positive reviews from forum members, previous customers and 3rd party review sites. All 5 have the guitar in-stock. All 5 will be equally easy to contact after the sale and all 5 will make you happy. All those things being equal, which is most important to you?

how quickly they can process your order
length of trial period
cost of shipping from the dealer to you
cost of return shipping and/or any fees
none of the above - I don't think about the return process while shopping
Assuming all the above is fairly equal, and generally within a range it is, the only thing that matters to me is that the person on the other end of the phone have 2 and preferably 3 of what I'm looking for and we can talk about the respective tonal qualities of each example compared to the other.

If I feel like that conversation tells me what I'm looking for, I have in the past made online purchases. 3 of a model are not generally available however, understandably.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Assuming all the above is fairly equal, and generally within a range it is, the only thing that matters to me is that the person on the other end of the phone have 2 and preferably 3 of what I'm looking for and we can talk about the respective tonal qualities of each example compared to the other.

If I feel like that conversation tells me what I'm looking for, I have in the past made online purchases. 3 of a model are not generally available however, understandably.
Dirk, read the title of this thread again, which is "Deciding factors when shopping online". What you are describing is a phone order, NOT an online order.

BTW, read my first response to this thread and you will see that you and I are in agreement...

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 04-22-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Dirk, read the title of this thread again, which is "Deciding factors when shopping online". What you are describing is a phone order, NOT an online order.

BTW, read my first response to this thread and you will see that you and I are in agreement...
Good point, but I don't make the distinction personally. I have shopped online and concluded the transaction on the phone in every case. A strict interpretation of "ordering online" doesn't allow for what I would assume to be a common customer scenario in the case of guitar sales. Maybe not, but I'd be surprised. Of course in most online shopping it's strictly limited to the web presence, but I would think guitar shopping "online" included hearing the guitars or at least about them.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 04-23-2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Dupe post
Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 PM

Return policy for me. I would automatically skip a dealer who didnt include shipping to me for no extra cost.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post

As the author of this thread, I should clarify that by "online" I mean long distance website and phone orders. Sorry for any confusion.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-21-2015, 09:11 PM

If everything else is equal, it could come down to the vendors choice of shipping company.

FedEx is really really bad here. UPS pretty good. Other places it's the opposite.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-21-2015, 09:13 PM

I have never purchased a guitar with any thought of a return policy.
We buy and play guitars because they make us feel good.
I need a website that makes me feel good. One that is easy to operate and not frustrating trying to find out the info I need.
Personal touch like a phone call seals the deal for me. I believe I have made a quick confirmation phone call to all our vendors I have purchased from before hitting that BUY NOW button. If I get a bad vibe.....no deal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
blueridge guitars, martin guitars