The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2023, 09:35 AM

Default Acoustic guitar through mixer?

I kno this doesn’t 💯 pertain but I really need some help with this question…I have a two piece band. Myself plays main guitar and a singer who plays a little backing rhythm and he does main vox…I’m curious to know if it would be better to run my acoustic through the mixer for our live sound or should I be using a separate amp like I have been. I personally want to go through the mixer cause it sounds better tbh, and so that way everything sounds more “full” when we play live. But the singer doesn’t want that cause he says it messes him up singing cause hes not used to my guitar sound coming through the PA. Does this hold any merit?
I’d say put the main acoustic through the mixer with his vox and maybe run his backing guitar into a little Amp. Any thoughts?
Old 03-25-2023, 10:31 AM

Default Re Straight Into Board

Is it possible to run a separate monitor for each of you? One for you with your guitar straight into the board and mixed into your monitor. Then no guitar monitor in his monitor? Everything gets mixed out the mains, in front of you. You each get your own preferred monitor mix.

A guitar straight into a board, I like to have a something in between. A LR Baggs para Di or similar.

What mixer, amps and speakers are you running?
Old 03-25-2023, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

A lot of missing information regarding your sound system. When you say "he says it messes him up singing cause hes not used to my guitar sound coming through the PA", does that mean he's not used to hearing it on a stage monitoring system? If so, you should be able to dial back your guitar from his monitor feed. If you mean it messes him up because he hears your guitar coming through the mains, that's another problem entirely that's likely to require some sound adjustments from both you and your singer. If he just doesn't like the sound of your guitar, either the singer or you might be in the wrong band.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 03-25-2023, 12:30 PM

I find as a singer it really makes it difficult to sing if I can’t clearly hear my voice. When I play with a band there are two guitars, a bass, a mandolin and drums.

On the other hand, we try to keep the amount of junk we bring into the venue to a minimum, so we have been experimenting with limiting the size of the mixer or removing the mixer (guitars on their own amps).

I am ok with the pa speaker close enough to my head that it acts as a monitor but otherwise I really need a monitor. I have sometimes used these as a small personal monitor:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c450--Stage_Monitor?

It is set up on a little stand, but however you do it, it is worth working on the problem for the sake of the singer. In-ears are another solution, but with only two people, you should be able to dial it in with a small mixer of some kind. Mixers also allow you to more easily and accurately balance the channels.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-25-2023, 07:40 PM

When a PA is mixed well, you should sound almost the same as you do when you practice without any sound reinforcement.

Using the PA for both guitars and the vocal mic should not be a problem as long as the guitars signal isn't above the vocal signal.
Practice at it and get used to the dialed in sound.
It will be the best sound sent to your audience.

Last edited by L20A; 03-26-2023 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Maybe your vocalist could try one of those small mic-stand mounted monitors? Your audience would probably get the best sound with y’all coming through the PA, and your vocalist can up their vocal level as needed in their personal monitor -
Old 03-27-2023, 01:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, best house sound will come from guitar into PA. As several have said, separate monitor mix should help, or take your guitar out of the monitors altogether. It will also require some effort on the part of the singer to get used to what stage sound is like.

I have just joined a long-successful local/regional country dance band. We're a 4-piece, consisting of electric and acoustic guitars, bass, and drums. Three of us sing. We use no amps. Everything goes into the board. I also play in a loud rock band and we definitely use amps (way too loud) but the acoustics and mandolin go direct to the board.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 03-27-2023, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

You want the best sound going to the audience? Put the guitar through the PA. If your mixer allows, you can tailor a monitor mix that has less/no guitar.

If your buddy absolutely must hear an uncluttered signal of just his voice, let him invest a hundred bucks or so for a wired personal monitor (Rolls makes them) which will allow him to hear his voice and whatever he chooses to include through earbuds.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Nymuso;7217808]You want the best sound going to the audience?

I have to say I disagree with this statement, to a point.

I've been playing acoustic through a PA since the 80's. On stage with large monitors.

An acoustic amp will never make your guitar sound any better.

The better your guitar sounds to you, the better you will perform.

The better the PA setup, the better the sound.

I do realize that most people today think a PA is a plastic pole, sticking out of a plastic box.

If this is the case, maybe I'm speaking out of turn.

If your singer doesn't want to hear your guitar, there's a good chance he's not on key.

Some call me a jerk, but I'd tell your singer to suck it up, and learn how to sing like the big boys.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:38 AM

[QUOTE=EZYPIKINS;7217813]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post

Some call me a jerk, but I'd tell your singer to suck it up, and learn how to sing like the big boys.
That right there’s some funny stuff…

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-27-2023, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

"Originally Posted by Nymuso

Some call me a jerk, but I'd tell your singer to suck it up, and learn how to sing like the big boys."

Something got confused along the way. That "quote" was not something I said but EZPICKINS said in his post. However, I agree with it.

As you gain experience you will find not all sound environments will be to your liking, particularly if you find yourself in the position of opening for another act through their sound sytem run by their crew optimized for their needs. Sound check? You are the sound check. What you do is pull up your big boy panties and power through it.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

…any live sound/ stage setup should strive to find a pleasing balance between the instruments and vocals….but the vocals need to be clearly out front and not competing with instruments…..that goes for the foh and stage….

…..having a system/setup that can deliver that is important but so is the dynamic interaction of the players…..a guitar being in the main mix shouldn’t be a problem unless it’s stepping over the vocals…..the best way to achieve great sound is to practice plugged in….just like anything else there is no substitute for experience….when you’re practicing you can tweak your settings and learn what works…..

….when I play in an acoustic duo or trio in small venues I’m a fan of everyone having their own rig and simply blending it as required…..two good quality, two channel acoustic amplifiers or powered speakers with preamps can provide all you need with minimal hassle and setup time….

….the most import thing is to work it out prior to performing….nobody plays their best when they are uncomfortable with the sound……and the listeners deserve the players best…
Old 03-27-2023, 10:43 AM

With bands, for the last 12 years or so I've always run my dread with a Baggs M80 mag through a bass amp. I love it, the other players love it, I never get negative reports from out front. Beats the heck out of any "acoustic amp" I've tried. It doesn't work nearly as well with piezos or K&K's, fwiw. Expecting a passive DiMarzio mag to show up in the next day or two, I'll report back.

Couch Standards
Old 03-27-2023, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

I'm joining those who have advocated having the vocalist learn how to sing as part of an ensemble, rather than as a soloist. But it's always the singer isn't it?
Old 03-27-2023, 12:29 PM

Default Versatile option

You might want to look at some yt's and read about the topic of the 'sansamp' pedal and what it can do for you in this situation.

Sansamp Paradriver for instance is a foot pedal. But it is an interface before your mixer/PA that works wonders for your acoustic guitar sound 'before' your sound is sent to the mixer or PA. Guitar cable plugs into the sansamp and then you connect an XLR cable between the sansamp and the mixer. You also run a guitar cable from the sansamp output to your guitar amp. The sansamp has a blend knob for balancing the amp and PA. The amp works as usual right there in your stage area like a monitor.

The sansamp is cool just into an amp or PA and the sansamp significantly Improves your sound, similar to the way a tube amp improves the way things sound. Full, powerful, smooth.

With a sansamp pedal you can plug directly into any PA system or amplifier. It is an amazing item to have. Especially if you want to provide a really nice sound to the mixing board to start with.

And you have the sansamp near you, allowing you to customize your sound right from the stage, even when you are playing without an amp.

The sansamp has a preamp and simple but very effective eq. It is designed for guitars. It is also a good direct injection box, DI box.

This is something an individual player uses. It is not designed to be used by a sound man specifically, although a sound man might find it to be very useful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification