The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-20-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Warm Audio WA-47jr is multi-pattern, including fig 8.
Ive become a fan of WA products lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Man View Post
I just bought a second Warm Audio U-47jr because i liked the first one so much and i want to record in stereo. It'll be here Friday or Saturday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianw View Post
Not often mentioned but well reviewed is the CAD M179 Multi-Pattern at $179.
So, I've done more exploration on this journey. I tried the Stagg srm70 I think it was, and that microphone just didn't sound great, and was very noisy. I play very quietly so, I really need something where I can pump the gain up. But, I also didn't really love the sound of it for guitar.

I also received the cad m179, this microphone seemed amazing, and sounded good in a sense, but the noise floor was tremendous. I know it's a really quiet mic, but it's apparently very finicky with phantom power.

I tried it in my umc 404hd interface, super noisy, and my interface plugs straight into the mains. I also have a separate phantom power unit, and it was still super noisy through there. So, idk if I got a dud, or if my phantom sources are just not adequate. I may test it in an x32 and see if that fixes it. I really otherwise like this mic.

I also got the warm 47 jr. I LOVE this mic. So quiet, and sounds great. It's really perfect for acoustic guitar, imo. Usually lower end condensers are a little harsh or brittle in the high end. This mic is a little pricier than those, other than cad m179, but it sounds amazing.

I would still like a second figure 8 though. So far, I'm considering getting a second 47 jr, which will let me do stereo, and just be another good mic. Also considering the at2050, which is a brighter mic, but, maybe that would be good for the vocal mic, however, I don't think it would be better than the 47jr on guitar. But I honestly don't need anything to be, it sounds amazing.

Another mic I'm looking at, idk if anyone has experience with it, is the avantone ck7. This microphone looks really good. It actually uses definitely the same housing and cradle as the 47jr, just painted with a red body. Idk how the internals compare, I haven't researched it much yet. But it also seems to sound quite great. I think I may end up with that one to replace the m179 I need to return.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:58 AM

I guess 'budget' means something else to me.
https://www.amazon.com/MXL-R144-Ribb.../dp/B002LASBRG
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 03-29-2023, 08:11 AM

Ya, I considered that one. It's a ribbon, and it seemed cool, but, o think for me ribbons in that price range just don't cut it. People talk about ribbons having a warm tone, but I find the budget ones are sort of brittle in the high end. That one sounded a bit to me like that on the YouTube videos I listened to. And I ended up trying the stagg srm70, and it was noisy, and it had that same sort of brittle and harsh high end. So, I gave up on budget ribbons. I'm sure there are probably good ones, and maybe the one posted is one I would like, but I think where I'm at with my microphones, it wouldn't be an upgrade, really.

Hopefully the avantone ck7 works out. It's heavily rebated right now. It appears quite similar to the 47jr in many respects.

I'll report back once I try it out.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk of Funk View Post
Another mic I'm looking at, idk if anyone has experience with it, is the avantone ck7. This microphone looks really good. It actually uses definitely the same housing and cradle as the 47jr, just painted with a red body. Idk how the internals compare, I haven't researched it much yet. But it also seems to sound quite great. I think I may end up with that one to replace the m179 I need to return.
Funny you mention that…I picked one up, I believe an open box or demo, but it was discounted. The specs looked good, so I bit.
I think its a decent mic, but more on par with a AT 2035. It performed as advertised, but didnt thrill me. Not like the 47jr does. I forget what I paid for it, but I would be more inclined to go for another 47jr. OTOH, Im getting tempted to try a TF11. Its a little jump in pain, and I admit, seeing the TF emblem does induce a tingling feeling.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD