The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-06-2023, 02:38 PM

Default Lauten Audio LA-120 SDCs...any thoughts?

I'm thinking about adding to my mic collection for my modest home studio. I currently have one Shure SM81, a Lauten Audio LA-320, a pair of Rode NT5s, and a Rode NT1. My main goal is to expand my options for recording my guitars in stereo (Martin CEO-7 and Martin OM-18 LJ). I'm not in a financial position to consider higher-priced mics (unfortunately).

I'm looking at a pair of Lauten Audio LA-120 V2s, or another SM81. I've also been intrigued by sE Electronics sE8s and Line Audio CM4s.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

(First ever post on the forum--let me know if I left out any key info.)
Old 03-06-2023, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

If finances are tight, just hold onto your money. Adding more cheap mics will give you more options but you're not going to significantly improve your recordings in any meaningful way. Experiment more with the mics you have. Playing with distance and positioning can yield better results than adding a couple of inexpensive microphones. Also, if you haven't already, building a couple of gobos (assuming more extensive room treatment isn't in the cards right now) will improve your records more than even a couple of thousand dollar mics.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-06-2023, 03:42 PM

Thanks, Jim. Wise advice. Much appreciated!
Old 03-06-2023, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTWilson View Post
Thanks, Jim. Wise advice. Much appreciated!
If you haven't already, check out the thread stickied in this subforum. There's a ton of useful information there to help you improve your recordings.

AGF MEMBERS GEAR LIST, TUTORIAL VIDEOS, PODCASTS, & COMPREHENSIVE BEGINNERS GUIDE

YouTube
Old 03-06-2023, 09:41 PM

Wonderful! What a treasure trove of information. Thanks so much, Jim. Huge help!

Bill
Old 03-06-2023, 09:47 PM

I have a pair of the Line CM4s and really like them. I heard about them over on GearSpace, and many over there on those forums said they really punch above their weight... they won't replace Schoeps or Neumann, but may give them a run for their money... a lot less money.

That said, I agree that room treatment and mic placement are critical. You might find a really nice spot for a spaced pair with two of your current mics.

If you did want to do a coincident pair (XY) for stereo with matching mics, I'd go with the CM4s.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:48 AM

Thanks, Jeff. Good to know.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Hi Bill,

i agree that if your recording space could do with treatment this would be a better use of a limited budget. Also if you are looking for a significant upgrade and your recording chain is also up to it I too would recommend saving for high end mics.

But I guess to some extent it depends on what your motive is to get more mics and what the acoustics are already like. For instance if you do already have good acoustics and enjoy trying different mic set-ups then it’s worth noting that both the SE8 and Lauten Audio LA-120 have cardioid and omni capsules available. Both compare well to some more expensive options - hence your interest I guess.

It’s all relative, I don’t consider these ‘cheap’ in the whole range available and have both capsules for my SE8s and get a lot of enjoyment from them and make recordings I am more than happy to share.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 03-08-2023, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Check out ATS's free standing gobos. I have 5 of their 4'x2'x4" and they make a huge difference in recording quality.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

I have GIK bass traps in my room. The quality is excellent. I'm not sure who comes in less expensive between them and ATS though.

YouTube
Old 03-08-2023, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Not sure of your budget, but Warm Audio has their 84 SDC mic as a single or stereo pair at a price point far below (less than half) of their namesake. I must admit I am pure amateur and have not played with real 184s, but have been very happy with the WA-84s.

Disclaimer: in all matters recording, I defer to Jim and a few others here. That was just my two cents, which probably isnt worth that!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-08-2023, 08:09 PM

OP - how confident do you feel in recording with your current microphones?
Are you getting quality recordings right now?

A lot of questions I see - not only in this subforum but including all kinds of 'gear' - seem to arise from the persistent myth of:

"If I only had better __ fill in the blank __ then I would get better recordings, or better gigs..."

This myth keeps us all from ever learning about our tools in a deep way. Better to just buy a 'better' microphone

I have a couple dozen inexpensive microphones that never get used, and a handful of decent ones that DO get used. (The Line Audio CM3 is one.)

To reiterate what has already been posted, it's not the microphones bringing the magic, but the entire chain (including the room) and - most importantly - your own skill at proper placement and usage.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-09-2023, 08:35 AM

Thanks, all, for the helpful advice and insights. I now plan to focus on room treatment and playing around with the mics I already have. Much appreciated!
Old 03-16-2023, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTWilson View Post
Thanks, all, for the helpful advice and insights. I now plan to focus on room treatment and playing around with the mics I already have. Much appreciated!
I guess I'm a bit late on mic recommendations, but your current plan seems like a great way to go.

However, since you might continue looking at mic options in the meantime, I'll suggest you take a look at the 3-Zigma CHI family of mics made by ADK. They consist of a head amp and swappable capsules (kind of like the Schoeps CMC design in that regard). You can buy them direct at hybridmic.com, and a pair would be in the $500-$600 range. I have a pair with SDC cardioid capsules, a pair with SDC free field omni capsules, and a single with a LDC 47 type of capsule. These mics are a very high overall value in this price range. I have used Octava's and Line Audio as well, and the 3-Zigma perform much better.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-16-2023, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I guess I'm a bit late on mic recommendations, but your current plan seems like a great way to go.

However, since you might continue looking at mic options in the meantime, I'll suggest you take a look at the 3-Zigma CHI family of mics made by ADK. They consist of a head amp and swappable capsules (kind of like the Schoeps CMC design in that regard). You can buy them direct at hybridmic.com, and a pair would be in the $500-$600 range. I have a pair with SDC cardioid capsules, a pair with SDC free field omni capsules, and a single with a LDC 47 type of capsule. These mics are a very high overall value in this price range. I have used Octava's and Line Audio as well, and the 3-Zigma perform much better.
+1 on the 3-Zigma CHI microphones. They are quite nice. Low noise, decent off axis response and excellent sonics and behaviors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD