The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-12-2023, 12:30 PM

I'll add a vote for the Eris 3.5s, though I can't say I comparison-shopped.

D.H.
Old 04-30-2023, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Some questions are hard to verbalize.
Or the nature of question itself, does not apply in the realm to others. Thus the root of the question is not realized. And understandably so. I have often mis understood many a question myself.

Such is the case I believe happened in this thread.
The Question at hand was not about what was best add on computer speakers. Perhaps I should have said, what was a cheap set of small speakers that could be purchased to simulate the average computer speakers? Not interested in great sound, interested in replicating what I hear on the average computer. The problem being that my MI Mac studio has terrible speaker in it. Spiky in frequencies, and it is off to the side not in front of me. As where my old Imac the sound was even and directly in front of me.

I could tell a lot on that old Imac speaker.

Today on the VI forum a member had this to say about reverb:
" Ive realized that even the defaults on most VI have too much reverb. Ive got maybe 10 reverbs and asking myself what shall I do with them, when there's already too much reverb in most instruments/voices default settings.

I cant hear this in my $500 Sennheiser headphones or the Yamaha Hs7 speakers, or any other fancy tools for that matter, but in MacBook Air M1 speakers, which have proven an invaluable mixing/mastering tool: "Yep, the reverb is there again messing".

He further states that there was too much reverb on his tracks. This of course is similar to the reasons why Studios use several sets of speakers. And why Albums were always checked on Auratones. But now we live in the Computer, Phone days. Where people listen to a lot of music just through there computer speakers.

In the past I use to say " if I can not hear it on my computer speakers...then the difference is not big enough.
I have most certainly changed my viewpoint now. I realize that this was too close minded of a viewpoint. There are big differences worth taking note of. Still, there is also something to be said of the computer speaker as well.

Last edited by islandguitar; 04-30-2023 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Profanity
Old 04-30-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Some questions are hard to verbalize.
Or the nature of question itself, does not apply in the realm to others. Thus the root of the question is not realized. And understandably so. I have often mis understood many a question myself.

Such is the case I believe happened in this thread.
The Question at hand was not about what was best add on computer speakers.

Perhaps I should have said, what was a cheap set of small speakers that could be purchased to simulate the average computer speakers?

Not interested in great sound, interested in replicating what I hear on the average computer. The problem being that my MI Mac studio has terrible speaker in it. Spiky in frequencies, and it is off to the side not in front of me. As where my old Imac the sound was even and directly in front of me.

I could tell a lot on that old Imac speaker.

Today on the VI forum a member had this to say about reverb:
" Ive realized that even the defaults on most VI have too much reverb. Ive got maybe 10 reverbs and asking myself what shall I do with them, when there's already too much reverb in most instruments/voices default settings.

I cant hear this in my $500 Sennheiser headphones or the Yamaha Hs7 speakers, or any other fancy tools for that matter, but in MacBook Air M1 speakers, which have proven an invaluable mixing/mastering tool: "Yep, the reverb is there again messing".

He further states that there was too much reverb on his tracks. This of course is similar to the reasons why Studios use several sets of speakers. And why Albums were always checked on Auratones. But now we live in the Computer, Phone days. Where people listen to a lot of music just through there computer speakers.

In the past I use to say " if I can not hear it on my computer speakers...then the difference is not big enough.
I have most certainly changed my viewpoint now. I realize that this was too close minded of a viewpoint. There are big differences worth taking note of. Still, there is also something to be said of the computer speaker as well.
Aha. Given the re-phrasing of your question, why not go to whatever store you might frequent that would sell cheap computer accessories and pick a pair at random?

Better yet, see if you can get someone casually walking down the computer accessories aisle to pick something out for you. You can't get any more random than that.

The problem I see with your basic idea is that it's probably too late to "un-educate" your listening habits. Super-inexpensive and limited range speakers are simply going to alert you to the shortcomings in fidelity.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:05 PM

I also recommend the Presonus Eris. I don't use them for final reference because they don't reveal low end issues but but they work well for what they were designed for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD