The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-06-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That sound good, nice job.

Ok, I see where I messed up in my recording comparison of the two patterns (in another thread). I kept the mics at the same distance when I switched the patterns. I'll have to move the mics in almost half the distance as the mics were in the cardioid setting. Thanks for the link.

You don't necessarily need to adjust the mic distance, if it's not what is needed.

IOW, set each mic up in a way that gets the best sound. That's the real test here, which is going to sound best & be able to be placed best for your situation. The "all things equal" mentality should not be applied in these cases (IMO), you want to know what will be best & that means getting each option setup the best it can be. If anything, you'll be able to get that omni in tighter without the issues brought about by proximity effect. That should open up options that you don't have with cardioid. Whether those options are better, is subjective & you need to decide what you like best.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD