The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-03-2023, 01:09 PM

Default NGD: Boucher BG-52 GM

I received my BG-52 GM, ordered in early December, two days ago.

I probably won't post pics as anyone can easily see much better (stock) photos than I could ever take on the Boucher site. I ordered mine with my preferred 1 11/16 nut and although it has the "gold pack", I did not get the gold tuners-- a bit too gaudy for my tastes.

I never imagined spending this much. Nor would I typically buy a guitar without having played it first. Just to clarify-- SoundPure sent me a BG 52 GM to try out before I decided to pull the trigger. I didn't buy the one they sent because it had a 1 3/4 nut. The 1 11/16 nut is a "standard" option but nevertheless not one typically spec'd by dealers.

I only arrived at this after having played Guild, Gibson, Martin, Santa Cruz, Taylor and Bourgeois and not finding any of the neck carves to my liking. Yes-- I am finnicky. Also, this will most likely be the last guitar I ever buy, so I was more willing to open the wallet wider. I should add that, of the guitars I tried, there was one I definitely would've bought, had the neck suited me-- the Guild D40 Traditional. Even though I usually prefer rosewood, that guitar was killer sounding.

Given the cost, this was a fairly nerve-wracking gamble but I'm happy to say, it paid off. The Boucher is more balanced than my Martin rswd/addy D without resorting to dialing out lows/lower mids or exaggerating upper mids and highs. And it certainly plays better than the Martin.

My wife and I have enjoyed travelling in Quebec and hope to go back, so I'm delighted to do what I can to support a Quebecois business.

I bought the guitar from SoundPure and working with Jim Dennis has been an absolute pleasure.

Of course, I will have to go through the usual process of experimenting with strings and picks to fine-tune the tone. I've never used Elixirs before but that's what the guitar came with and with a Dunlop Prime Tone .96, the guitar sounds great as it is.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions during this long process.

Last edited by aK_bAsh7; 02-03-2023 at 05:13 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-03-2023, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Good to hear it worked out. Sounds like the neck carve is good for you?
Old 02-03-2023, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Big congrats! Got two Boucher's myself and had an opportunity to buy a BG-52 and let it slip thru my fingers...still kicking myself for that. Robin builds incredible guitars...enjoy that tone monster!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-03-2023, 02:36 PM

Cool

Hey congratulations on your new Boucher! Those Boucher breadnoughts are pretty amazing. I played one yesterday along with a bunch of other Boucher models and that model sounded awesome.

But I was more in the market for an OM style so I ended up splurging on a Private Stock Flame Maple PS-SG-161 which just kicked me in the pants, it was an easy choice.

Like you I found it a bit nerve-wracking, they aren’t cheap guitars but luckily I feel that I made an excellent choice in picking this one out.

Enjoy your new guitar!
Old 02-03-2023, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burstbucker View Post
Hey congratulations on your new Boucher! Those Boucher breadnoughts are pretty amazing. I played one yesterday along with a bunch of other Boucher models and that model sounded awesome.

But I was more in the market for an OM style so I ended up splurging on a Private Stock Flame Maple PS-SG-161 which just kicked me in the pants, it was an easy choice.

Like you I found it a bit nerve-wracking, they aren’t cheap guitars but luckily I feel that I made an excellent choice in picking this one out.

Enjoy your new guitar!
As far as I can see you guys both got lifetime guitars from Boucher!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-03-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Good to hear it worked out. Sounds like the neck carve is good for you?
Oh yeah! It's a bit different than the neck I've ben playing for the past 15 years or -- Martin MLO with 1 11/16" nut -- but still very comfortable.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burstbucker View Post

Enjoy your new guitar!
Thanks-- I wish you the same!
Old 02-03-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
As far as I can see you guys both got lifetime guitars from Boucher!
Go Team Boucher!
Old 02-03-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
Go Team Boucher!
More appropriately: "Allez l'équipe Boucher!"
Old 02-03-2023, 03:29 PM

I own a Boucher so I get you but that's pretty "daring" to buy/spend at this level without trying it. No? Just how did you figure out it'd suit you? I have bought just one guitar (a Taylor, should you ask..) sight-unseen and it was a disaster. Glad to see yours worked out, though.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
I own a Boucher so I get you but that's pretty "daring" to buy/spend at this level without trying it. No? Just how did you figure out it'd suit you? I have bought just one guitar (a Taylor, should you ask..) sight-unseen and it was a disaster. Glad to see yours worked out, though.
Well, I was able to play both a BG 52 and a BG 152 before ordering-- it's not as though I had no idea of what I was ordering! That indeed, would've been "daring"-- much too daring for me!
Old 02-03-2023, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on that new Boucher guitar! Very nice!

- Glenn
Old 02-04-2023, 05:29 AM

I wouldn't have any reservations about ordering a Boucher. I have played a few models, and they blew me away. I know the work that Robin and his team put into every guitar they make, and there is no better customer service on this planet.

Congrats on getting your dream guitar. That model would be my choice as well.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:04 AM

Congratulations! You’ve got one fine guitar!
I got my BG-52G last July and it’s tone still stops me mid-song at times while I’m practicing and I just go…WOW!!

Boucher BG-52-G LH
2018 Taylor 320e LH
Old 02-04-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHowdy View Post
Congratulations! You’ve got one fine guitar!
I got my BG-52G last July and it’s tone still stops me mid-song at times while I’m practicing and I just go…WOW!!
Yeah. It already sounds as good as my 15 year old Martin-- it should sound pretty amazing once played in!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion