The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-06-2023, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
This thing is really easy to play. Now I've gotta work on my stretches to make those 4 finger chop chords. Who'd a thunk that picking up an instrument 1/3 the size of a guitar would require me to increase my stretch ??
Boy that brought back memories. Me with the small hands trying the chop G. Then the closed scale positions I was struggling with led to playing closed scales at the fifth fret, then dropping a fret until I was playing at the first. I did that exclusively for two months! I gained about 1/16 inch of reach, which made a big difference. Thing is, I liked and still do, playing exercises. I remember running through first position scales in all keys, and when I came to the closed scales, I could play them a lot better. It's the kind of thing that really motivates me.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-08-2023, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Boy that brought back memories. Me with the small hands trying the chop G. Then the closed scale positions I was struggling with led to playing closed scales at the fifth fret, then dropping a fret until I was playing at the first. I did that exclusively for two months! I gained about 1/16 inch of reach, which made a big difference. Thing is, I liked and still do, playing exercises. I remember running through first position scales in all keys, and when I came to the closed scales, I could play them a lot better. It's the kind of thing that really motivates me.
My paws are pretty tiny too. Over the years I’ve learned to increase my stretch, or play around my limitations on guitar, but dang this mandolin is a different beast. I need to add running scales and some other exercises to my practice routine.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-09-2023, 10:45 AM

Default Loar LM-600

Nice looking instrument!

Can someone tell me how that compares to the Loar LM-600?
Old 01-09-2023, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
My paws are pretty tiny too. Over the years I’ve learned to increase my stretch, or play around my limitations on guitar, but dang this mandolin is a different beast. I need to add running scales and some other exercises to my practice routine.
If you play scales in every key, going counter clockwise through the circle of fifths, C,F, Bb, etc., you end up learning most of the fingerings you will need, plus if you think out the scale root, you'll learn the fretboard notes. This won't make a lot of musical sense until you realize one day you can learn a fiddle tune in half the time it used to take you, and your play by ear guesses become correct more often. Eight years on, I warm up with scales and scale exercises.

Metronome, metronome, metronome.

After you do your exercises, learn a fiddle tune or three. Mandolessons.com is a good place to start. And use your pinky from the get go. Strive for an even tone.

Metronome, metronome, metronome

PM me if you want a run through of what I'm talking about
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-16-2023, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Mick… still like the MD315?
Old 12-24-2023, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

I picked up an Eastman MD305 yesterday. The A style equivalent the 315.

I bought a beautiful Weber A style new in 2004 and sold it recently for all but $8 that I had in it. But this Eastman sounds better, plays better, and cost much less than half of that Weber. Most of all, I want to play it. It's inspiring to me.

The local store sold it to me for $599 (with a setup already done... that's their business first and foremost). I couldn't get my $ out fast enough.

Very happy!

Last edited by dave42; 12-24-2023 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
I picked up an Eastman MD305 yesterday. The A style equivalent the 315.

I bought a beautiful Weber A style new in 2004 and sold it recently for all but $8 that I had in it. But this Eastman sound better, plays better, and cost much less than half of that Weber. Most of all, I want to play it. It's inspiring to me.

The local store sold it to me for $599 (with a setup already done... that's their business first and foremost). I couldn't get my $ out fast enough.

Very happy!
That must be a really special Eastman or a dud of a Weber. I know a guy with an older Eastman 515 F-style that is simply an amazing instrument. It happens.
Old 12-24-2023, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
That must be a really special Eastman or a dud of a Weber. I know a guy with an older Eastman 515 F-style that is simply an amazing instrument. It happens.
I really think the radiused fretboard (12") has something to do with the playability of the Eastman. Most, including my Weber, are flat.

My Weber was mortis and tenon jointed. The Eastman is dovetailed. A friend of mine (great player, great ear, and great repair person) has always said buy an Eastman. "They are just put together better" he always said. I never paid much attention to that statement, but now I'm starting to understand.
Old 12-30-2023, 01:10 PM

@Goat Mick it’s been a year. Are you still happy with the 315?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments