The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-15-2022, 10:43 AM

Default Is there a name for this rhythmic pattern?

We all know that a backbeat is "one two three four" but I've noticed a few songs recently which do:

One and two and three and four.

An example would be this cover of Queen Jane Approximately:

I heard it a bunch of places recently. Does it have a simple name?
Old 12-16-2022, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

I'm hearing:

One two three, one two three, one two. 8/8

The snare snap is on:

123,123,12 most of the time.

Pop that into google and you'll come up with Cuban or Calypso or African American or West African etc etc

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-16-2022, 01:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Interesting......

I'm hearing straight 4, with the snare pop on 2 & the & of 3. Basically the drummer is anticipating 4.

But I'm just a guitar player so don't quote me.

HE
Old 12-16-2022, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

I'm also hearing it as straight 4/4 with a calypso rhythm, or a calypso rhythm in the second half of the measure, anyway.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-17-2022, 09:43 AM

I'm hearing 4/4 time with a synchopated rhythm on drums. Quarter beat (one-and), dotted quarter (two-and-three), quarter (and-four), 1/8 (and), (new bar/measure) quarter, dotted quarter, quarter, 1/8 etc.

I'm a formally, classically trained musician with over 49 years at it. Classical, jazz, bluegrass, blues, rock, folk....

Most self-taught folks I play with just don't "get" synchopation. Most focus on melody, or playing the right chords. There's not enough emphasis on rhythm, especially giving each measure its full number of beats. A common problem is when the lyric ends before the end of the bar. A lot of folks jump ahead and skip that beat. Not a problem if you're playing solo. Big problem if you're playing with others.

Last edited by Mandobart; 12-17-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I'm hearing:

One two three, one two three, one two. 8/8

The snare snap is on:

123,123,12 most of the time.
I can hear this if I force myself to focus on the bass, or in the chorus lyrics. It's not a place my ear intuitively goes, though. I have to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I'm hearing 4/4 time with a synchopated rhythm on drums. Quarter beat (one-and), dotted quarter (two-and-three), quarter (and-four), 1/8 (and), (new bar/measure) quarter, dotted quarter, quarter, 1/8 etc.
This sort of breaks my brain. I'm having a very hard time connecting what you're describing to what I'm hearing. Could you explain it again in other words?

I know if music there are often many ways to get to the same sound.

Quote:
Most self-taught folks I play with just don't "get" synchopation. Most focus on melody, or playing the right chords. There's not enough emphasis on rhythm, especially giving each measure its full number of beats. .
I personally find my connection with rhythm (beyond straightforward 4/4 or 3/4) to be a weak point, which is actually the seed that led me to trying to understand the rhythm on this song to begin with.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
...This sort of breaks my brain. I'm having a very hard time connecting what you're describing to what I'm hearing. Could you explain it again in other words?

I know if music there are often many ways to get to the same sound.
It is hard to explain rhythm in words. I learned to read music as a kid. There is a basic foundation with the time signature and key (which notes are natural, sharp or flat). Then you have bars (aka measures) that show the actual note by the position on the staff/ledger lines and also show the rhythm by showing how many beats the note lasts for (whole note, half note, quarter, 16th, etc.). Simple fractions. A dot after a note (or rest) lengthens that note by half of its original value. A dotted quarter note is just a quarter plus an eighth. A dotted eighth is an eighth plus a sixteenth. It's these dotted notes that show synchopation. I'm not going to talk about the UK system of quavers, semi-quavers, etc. Not what I was trained on. All this is basic stuff that kids typically learn in a few weeks spending maybe an hour or two per day. You can learn it too.

For the song in question, its in 4/4 time. That means 4 beats per measure. Tap your foot in time while the song plays. Count out loud "one, two, three four". That's four quarter notes. That makes up one measure. Now break those beats into two eight notes each. Count "one-and two-and three-and four-and." Still one measure, expressed as eight 1/8 notes.

Synchopation is hard for people without a developed sense of rhythm. Walk or march at a steady pace while counting "1-2-3-4". Now start skipping. That's synchopation.

Learning these basics really is key to understanding rhythm for those of us raised in standard western culture. In some cultures I've visited rhythm comes more naturally.

Last edited by Mandobart; 12-17-2022 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added another idea.
Old 12-17-2022, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Smile Odd drumming…

The drummer’s cross sticking is oddly syncopated, but everything is in 4/4 time.

The rhythm guitar is just one and two and three and four and…. Like Mandobart explains above.

Former drummer here.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-17-2022, 05:04 PM

Yeah. That part I understand. It's connecting the rhythm I'm hearing in the song to your description of "Quarter beat (one-and), dotted quarter (two-and-three), quarter (and-four), 1/8 (and), (new bar/measure) quarter, dotted quarter, quarter, 1/8 etc." that I'm struggling with.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Pretty straight 4/4 rhythm.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-18-2022, 06:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
Yeah. That part I understand. It's connecting the rhythm I'm hearing in the song to your description of "Quarter beat (one-and), dotted quarter (two-and-three), quarter (and-four), 1/8 (and), (new bar/measure) quarter, dotted quarter, quarter, 1/8 etc." that I'm struggling with.
Your original post description "One and two and three and four." is perfect, and requires nothing else.

I'll speak with a good friend who's a well known drummer, and see if there's a name for that particular pattern, but I have my doubts.

HE
Old 12-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Your original post description "One and two and three and four." is perfect, and requires nothing else.

I'll speak with a good friend who's a well known drummer, and see if there's a name for that particular pattern, but I have my doubts.

HE
Howard, it may make some sense to add an "and" after four.

one and two and three and four and.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 12-18-2022 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2023, 05:13 PM

If you get a name for a rhythmic pattern off the Interwebs, most likely it's wrong.
Old 07-10-2023, 01:02 AM

The only thing doing it is the cross stick. It's pretty grooveless. So no, undeserving of a name. Good on the drummer for coming up with it, though. Makes it less tedious.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments