The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-22-2022, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
...Though I think most of us, regardless of our mando's tailpiece, close our eyes and turn our heads when tuning up those E strings for the first time - experience...
LOL I changed strings on 4 different mandolins the other day, and for sure, my eyes were closed and my head was turned away for all 8 E strings

I have traditional tail-pieces on all my mandos (they are all gibson built), so I'm used to that type, and I always use the rear hooks. If it ain't broke!
Old 11-22-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
LOL I changed strings on 4 different mandolins the other day, and for sure, my eyes were closed and my head was turned away for all 8 E strings

I have traditional tail-pieces on all my mandos (they are all gibson built), so I'm used to that type, and I always use the rear hooks. If it ain't broke!

Oh, it's not just me! I am happy to report I still have both eyes, although before I learned my lesson, there were a couple of times I think I could have ended up sporting an eye patch for the rest of my life if the string had snapped in a little different way... I'm not sure how rebranding myself as the Pirate Musician would fare. Seems musically limiting, somehow.

Yes, my next (this should go without stating, but long overdue) string change I intend to take a very close look at the tailpiece to see if there's anything overt causing the issue. It may also be that pesky infamous Operator Error with me not setting the strings in the slots carefully enough. IIRC the previous one broke at the end of the loop winding knot, and the last one broke at the loop itself. Both were D'Addario strings. I'm going to try StringJoy next as well.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Four in a day? What caused such self loathing?
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-22-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Four in a day? What caused such self loathing?
Self loathing is right!!!! I did it for the mandolin comparison...

I have since learned all these mandolins require a different distance to the microphone to get the best out of them. I will do a follow up comparison soon to demonstrate what I mean soon. Also I changed the tailpiece on the A-5G and it changed the tone of the mandolin (fortunately in a good way, as the tailpiece it came with had a piece of leather glued to the underside of the cover which was dulling the sound).

Last edited by rockabilly69; 11-22-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanay View Post
IIRC the previous one broke at the end of the loop winding knot, and the last one broke at the loop itself. Both were D'Addario strings. I'm going to try StringJoy next as well.
When I changed all 4 sets I used Mapes Phosphor Bronze 11- 40 which have a light coating, and there was no string breakage They came highly recommended on Mandolin Cafe. And bonus, they are only $6.00 a set! I think they sound pretty good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Tags
breedlove, mandolin, tailpiece