The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-31-2019, 10:48 AM

Default dumb question

I'm getting my first amp (used fishman loudbox mini) any day now (it's in transit).
I completely understand the concerns with guitars and temps but today, we're still below zero. Is there any reason I should worry about the amp or do anything to insure there's no temperature related issues?
I realize it's probably just particle board, plastics and electronics but just want to be safe.
On the other hand....really excited and can't wait to get it going.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:52 AM

I'd probably let it get to room temp before you plug it in and turn it on just to prevent any thermal issues affecting the solder joints, PCBs, etc. when very cold components heat up quickly. Even though I wouldn't think the risk is great, better safe than sorry!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:13 AM

What can happen when very cold amps come into a warm humid atmosphere, is that moisture will condense of the parts of the amp the air comes in contact with. Not likely enough to cause trouble, but the possibility is there. Fifteen or twenty minutes would be enough for things to warm up a bit.

I live and gig regularily up in frosty old Canada, and this time of year the gear is in and out of cold cars, -20 degree temperatures, and steamy pubs. My amps are old and they handle it well enough, but I've heard theories that the thermals expansion and contraction can take it's toll on amps with pc board mounted jacks and controls.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:08 PM

I wouldn't worry. My two K12 speakers were purchased from a man who had owned a music store but decided to let it go. As a result, he had a bunch of brand new, in the box inventory in his garage. This was during the winter here in Canada. The K12s work flawlessly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification