The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Sorry, just to clarify. Are you saying that multiple transmitters can be used with just the one receiver?
That's the way it appears. I don't have any inside knowledge. Their website spec says "support for multiple instruments" or something like that, implying each could have a transmitter on its own channel.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 01-29-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
That's the way it appears. I don't have any inside knowledge. Their website spec says "support for multiple instruments" or something like that, implying each could have a transmitter on its own channel.
I feel like you are right. I seem to remember with the original this was possible as well since the receiver would scan for the best channel. Hopefully it can be used this was though.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Hi James,

I think they indented for the selector switch to manually choose the channel while the bug is docked in the base. I guess someone with multiple bugs could test to see if they can be program selected for the same base. That would certainly be an added benefit I hadn't considered. My presumption is that they designed the manual selector for use in a band situation where multiple players are using the systems.

Incidentally, would you mind weighing in on my theory that these systems provide both a preamp (high frequency preservation) and impedance matching benefit?
Old 01-29-2019, 12:13 PM

I just did some reading online about the original and it appears that only one transmitter can be used at a time. I think you are right, the switch is just so you can manual switch channels to guarantee that you are on different frequencies than someone else in the band. A bummer but I still want this for my rig.

Actually come to think of it, the G10 transmitter when pulled from the jack, does not make a pop sound as it has a silent unplug feature. I was planning to use maybe two electrics on stage with two transmitters into the same base but it's probably just as easy to simply unplug the single G10 transmitter and plug it into the next guitar when I make the switch.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I just did some reading online about the original and it appears that only one transmitter can be used at a time. I think you are right, the switch is just so you can manual switch channels to guarantee that you are on different frequencies than someone else in the band. A bummer but I still want this for my rig.

Actually come to think of it, the G10 transmitter when pulled from the jack, does not make a pop sound as it has a silent unplug feature. I was planning to use maybe two electrics on stage with two transmitters into the same base but it's probably just as easy to simply unplug the single G10 transmitter and plug it into the next guitar when I make the switch.
Yes, that's my plan for when I am using the 12 string and 6 string - take advantage of the silent plug feature.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I think you might be referring to the G30. The G10 never had a belt clip, it was just the transmitter. It's a great design but the mini usb power adapter was a terrible idea. I am surprised it took them this long to upgrade. Still, I am sold on this one. Not only has it fixed the adapter issue so that it can be used with any power supply, but it now has the ability to turn down the cable simulation and it's more pedalboard friendly. In all honesty, I wouldn't even give a second thought to offerings from Boss, Xvive etc. Line 6 wireless products just work flawlessly.
I was indeed mistaken; I had the G50. Why would you no consider the Boss product?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 01-29-2019, 01:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Hi James,

I think they indented for the selector switch to manually choose the channel while the bug is docked in the base. I guess someone with multiple bugs could test to see if they can be program selected for the same base. That would certainly be an added benefit I hadn't considered. My presumption is that they designed the manual selector for use in a band situation where multiple players are using the systems.

Incidentally, would you mind weighing in on my theory that these systems provide both a preamp (high frequency preservation) and impedance matching benefit?
I guess we'll find out what the mean by "support for multiple instruments" in due time.

Regarding your theory, I would agree. This system functions as a wireless preamp that would indeed preserve highs (and lows), and make the final destination impedance irrelevant. That is a plus for those with impedance sensitive pickups.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 01-29-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
I was indeed mistaken; I had the G50. Why would you no consider the Boss product?
I have read about drop out issues and it seems to have the same interference issues with active pickups. Honestly, the Boss looks great, I just think the G10 that I own is pretty flawless. It just works every time I use it. I had two Xvive U2 systems at one point and both were noisy and had major drop outs.

I am installing the Anthem in one of my guitars this weekend. If it has issues with the G10 then I might just use the G10 with my mandolin and octave mandolin and stay wired when playing acoustic. I am really just trying to cut down how much crap I have on stage!
Old 01-29-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I guess we'll find out what the mean by "support for multiple instruments" in due time.

Regarding your theory, I would agree. This system functions as a wireless preamp that would indeed preserve highs (and lows), and make the final destination impedance irrelevant. That is a plus for those with impedance sensitive pickups.
Thank you! I'm very pleased with this new found freedom from wires and impedance matching transformers. :-)

I hope that the unit does support multiple transmitters, allowing it to act as a selector. That would be a great added benefit.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:58 PM

I just tried my original G10 with my active Godin A8 mandolin and active octave mandolin with a headway pickup. Godin was 100% quiet, the OM unfortunately had the interference. I tried the TRS adapter but it didn't help. I guess with these systems, it's all about using them with electric guitars or passive acoustic pickups. Not sure why it's working so well with the Godin.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I just tried my original G10 with my active Godin A8 mandolin and active octave mandolin with a headway pickup. Godin was 100% quiet, the OM unfortunately had the interference. I tried the TRS adapter but it didn't help. I guess with these systems, it's all about using them with electric guitars or passive acoustic pickups. Not sure why it's working so well with the Godin.
I think some of these systems are wired with reverse polarity. Some also just have RF interference with the active preamps. But, they are a perfect match for passive pickups.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification