The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Looking forward to your report, man. Your youtube reviews and many post were instrumental (yea, I did that) in my buying my S-1 along with an L1-Compact on the same day.
Good one on the pun!

The gig sucked. Though it's an awesome place to play with a relatively large, dedicated playing area for bands there is a huge air blower (for heat) fairly close by. I didn't account for that. I brought just the Bose S1. I left the pole in the car. The place was pretty empty all night, no doubt a combination of the very cold weather we've been having plus I'm thinking Super Bowl weekend. There were a few people but they stayed over at the bar which is removed somewhat from the performance area.

I tried the S1 on the floor tilted back but because of the need to bump the volume it tended to sound a tad bit boxy. I was able to dial in a decent tone but with the blower going full bore it was hard to hear my guitar all that well. When that happens I tend to play harder and I cannot as yet separate my left hand from right very well in that when I play harder with my right hard, I press harder with my left. I was feeling it in the fingertips by THE SECOND SONG and knew I was in trouble and it was going to be a long night.

I ended up putting the S1 on a chair but due to the chair design I couldn't tilt it back so it had to sit flat. It sound fine and it was a little easier to hear. But it was a long night. The combination of playing to no one other than ourselves (we've done this before, of course) just makes a three-hour gig all the more long and not fun, especially with sore fingertips. Add in we'd both worked the whole day and we're not spring chickens and, well, you get the picture. By the end of the night I wanted to cut my fingertips off my left hand!

I think if we play that venue again (doubtful) I would either use the So on the pole mount or maybe even bring the QSC. But they don't pay that well anyway. We are seriously considering changing our performance/pay scale to only playing two-hour gigs for the reduced prices many are offering around here. We don't need the money anyway and do it for fun and for us a two-hour gig is more than enough.

After the fact I talked to both the bartender and the waitress about sound level and quality and both said it was perfect. I did have the S1 volume dialed up to about two notches above the midway detente. The vocals sounded great but the guitar didn't sound great to me and that always grates on me throughout a gig. My wife said it sounded fine but what does she know, right? Singers.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The gig sucked.
A bad night at a gig is still far better than a good day at a crappy job.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-03-2019, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
A bad night at a gig is still far better than a good day at a crappy job.

^^^^ this!
Old 02-03-2019, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

I really would like to like these things but why oh why do they not include phantom power? I'd much rather use a nice condenser for live solo guitar (no vocal) performances. It probably wouldn't cost them two dollars to add it. I would like to just carry in one box and my guitar. Most of the acoustic amps I've seen (Fishman, etc.) seem like they're made really cheap. I may just keep using my little 4 ch Yamaha mixer and Evans amp.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
I really would like to like these things but why oh why do they not include phantom power? I'd much rather use a nice condenser for live solo guitar (no vocal) performances. It probably wouldn't cost them two dollars to add it. I would like to just carry in one box and my guitar. Most of the acoustic amps I've seen (Fishman, etc.) seem like they're made really cheap. I may just keep using my little 4 ch Yamaha mixer and Evans amp.
The S2 model will most likely add that! (And no, I have not heard of an updated model in the making but I'll bet there is one based on the unit's popularity!)
Old 02-04-2019, 07:03 PM

I use a headset mic so for phantom power I either use the VE8, the Headway EDB2 or I also picked up a Mackie battery powered phantom power box. It is pretty cool but I agree with you, phantom power would have been nice.

Davidc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification