The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-23-2019, 05:48 AM

Default S1-Pro On The Ground Kicked Back...

I poured all over this and every other Forum and read reviews and studied and watched YouTube videos and ended up buying an L1 Compact AND an S1-Pro. Most people were using the S1-Pro on a stand behind them so after I first plugged mine in on the ground kicked back and was FLOORED by the sound, I put mine on a stand like everybody else.

Well this changed MY perception as well because it was directly behind me, which was louder because it was behind my ear holes and I knew THAT would make it sound different. Which it did.

However, I gotta say, it seems to have more bass on the floor not to mention it has a MUCH smaller footprint. And I have one less thing to drag around. I haven't used it in a very large room like that though, because I will chicken out and grab the L1-Compact if the room is larger or the crowd is bigger.

But, I do like it on the floor, kicked back.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-23-2019, 06:54 AM

hey Murph

so you are still using it upright? but leaned back?

in other words, not laying on the side like a wedge monitor?

I think on the side, it tends to push the mids a bit, which if you're not adjusting for the changes with bass/treble, can be a bit surprising.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:56 AM

Yep.

Upright and kicked back.

Kind of like me.....

Old 01-23-2019, 07:56 AM

I just played a gig with 2 S1s - I ran the guitar directly into one on the floor and kicked back. It was behind me and to my right. The second one I put up on a speaker stand and ran the vocals through. Both worked great. I agree that on the floor and leaning back is excellent and can avoid dragging stands along. I practice with them in that position. I had been putting both up on stands. I hear them better when they are up, but people listening have no problem hearing the guitar with the S1 on the floor and leaning back to project better.
Davidc
Old 01-23-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

I have used mine in every way possible and each one has its pluses and minuses depending on the venue and crowd.

* For our 'average' gig we use it on a pole, head-height, directly behind and between the two of us. This is quite loud for us but very clear and the best throwing of sound for people sitting in a bar/restaurant setting.

* For smaller gigs that are not crowd-talking type of events we have used it sitting on the floor, directly behind and between us tilted back. Good sound, more bass, less direct sound for us but still good enough. We used this live when playing to an attentive, seated crowd in a medium sized art gallery and it worked well.

* I used the same upright, tilt back a few other times but slightly in front and off to the side of us and sitting elevated either on a (tall) bar chair or on the bar itself. This threw sound well but was not great for us. It's better when it's on my wife's (vocals only) side as she can have it almost adjacent to her and we can hear it better. Next to me (guitar) it has to be more in front of me or it gets very boxy sounding.

* I have used it rarely sitting upright but flat, usually on a table or bar. This is the absolute worst sound from the 'auto EQ' that the Bose S1 does, at least in my experience.

* Last, I've used it directly in front of us, on the floor, on its side like a monitor and then feed the line-out to the QSC k8.2 which is on a stand off to the side in front of us. This is used when we need more power, which in all honesty is very rare at this point.

In fact, I've considered selling the k8.2 a few times and buying a second S1 as I feel like I'd get way more use out of that setup then the S1/k8.2 setup. The S1 is just such a versatile little mini-PA and having two would open up even more use and better sound dispersion. For instance, I could use one S1 in its usual setup directly behind and between us while wirelessly (via my Xvive X2 Bluetooth) sending the signal to a second Bose in another room which is often the case with many venues we play.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I have used mine in every way possible and each one has its pluses and minuses depending on the venue and crowd.

* For our 'average' gig we use it on a pole, head-height, directly behind and between the two of us. This is quite loud for us but very clear and the best throwing of sound for people sitting in a bar/restaurant setting.

* For smaller gigs that are not crowd-talking type of events we have used it sitting on the floor, directly behind and between us tilted back. Good sound, more bass, less direct sound for us but still good enough. We used this live when playing to an attentive, seated crowd in a medium sized art gallery and it worked well.

* I used the same upright, tilt back a few other times but slightly in front and off to the side of us and sitting elevated either on a (tall) bar chair or on the bar itself. This threw sound well but was not great for us. It's better when it's on my wife's (vocals only) side as she can have it almost adjacent to her and we can hear it better. Next to me (guitar) it has to be more in front of me or it gets very boxy sounding.

* I have used it rarely sitting upright but flat, usually on a table or bar. This is the absolute worst sound from the 'auto EQ' that the Bose S1 does, at least in my experience.

* Last, I've used it directly in front of us, on the floor, on its side like a monitor and then feed the line-out to the QSC k8.2 which is on a stand off to the side in front of us. This is used when we need more power, which in all honesty is very rare at this point.

In fact, I've considered selling the k8.2 a few times and buying a second S1 as I feel like I'd get way more use out of that setup then the S1/k8.2 setup. The S1 is just such a versatile little mini-PA and having two would open up even more use and better sound dispersion. For instance, I could use one S1 in its usual setup directly behind and between us while wirelessly (via my Xvive X2 Bluetooth) sending the signal to a second Bose in another room which is often the case with many venues we play.
I've not had my S1 but a couple of weeks and I'm thinking about getting a second one for stereo bluetooth - they sound great kicked back or kicked on their side. Not having to hook up any cables or put them on poles is great.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 PM

the one thing I would add is that putting them on a speaker stand and above your head reduces the feedback issues (which truthfully have been nominal) and lets you as the performer, hear them better. I had some issues hearing on the floor when playing with a bass and lead player.

I would rather not drag speaker stands but when they are up above your microphones at least, that position works really well for vocals.

When I had an S1 on the floor with just guitar and an S1 on a pole for vocals, that worked as a good compromise. Either way, I do think the S1 sounds best kicked back.
Ok, maybe that was three things I would add...
Old 01-23-2019, 02:04 PM

I guess I finally better get one... I have a Compact that I gig with when using a keyboard for piano stuff and guitars and vocals when friends show up and using a T1 as mixer ... not sure if the S1 can do piano lower notes and left hand walking bass when keyboard is split.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-23-2019, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredmaster007 View Post
I've not had my S1 but a couple of weeks and I'm thinking about getting a second one for stereo bluetooth - they sound great kicked back or kicked on their side. Not having to hook up any cables or put them on poles is great.
Keep in mind that the stereo Bluetooth only works when playing music via the Bluetooth. In other words, you can't plug in your guitar/vocals and then connect the speakers via Bluetooth and have both play what you are playing. I initially thought this was the case but turns out not, at least as I understand it.

But you can connect them via a Bluetooth external wireless system. Just plug the transmitter into the 1/4" line out jack and the receiver into the dual XLR/1/4" input on the other one and voila, instant dual speakers that can have quite a bit of separation.

We did this at several gigs in December except we were using the QSC k8.2 as the source and the S1 as the satellite. Worked awesome. Would be even easier with two S1's though as the QSC only has an XLR out. Fortunately, I had an XLR to 1/4" adapter so we were able to make it work.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I just played a gig with 2 S1s - I ran the guitar directly into one on the floor and kicked back. It was behind me and to my right. The second one I put up on a speaker stand and ran the vocals through. Both worked great. I agree that on the floor and leaning back is excellent and can avoid dragging stands along. I practice with them in that position. I had been putting both up on stands. I hear them better when they are up, but people listening have no problem hearing the guitar with the S1 on the floor and leaning back to project better.

Davidc
That sounds like a perfect way to do it. The only thing you need a high speaker for is vocal clarity.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

kicked back on the floor is my preferred us for it as well. Like many of you, this didn't make sense to me given the size of some of the rooms I've used it in, but it's a winner all around!
Old 01-27-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind that the stereo Bluetooth only works when playing music via the Bluetooth. In other words, you can't plug in your guitar/vocals and then connect the speakers via Bluetooth and have both play what you are playing. I initially thought this was the case but turns out not, at least as I understand it.

But you can connect them via a Bluetooth external wireless system. Just plug the transmitter into the 1/4" line out jack and the receiver into the dual XLR/1/4" input on the other one and voila, instant dual speakers that can have quite a bit of separation.

We did this at several gigs in December except we were using the QSC k8.2 as the source and the S1 as the satellite. Worked awesome. Would be even easier with two S1's though as the QSC only has an XLR out. Fortunately, I had an XLR to 1/4" adapter so we were able to make it work.
Yes, for music playback. While I have Martin logans and jbls for critical listening, the s1 has alot of punch and is super convenient for playing tunes. Couldn't do that with my AER or mixer / powered speaker setup as easily and cleanly (lots of wires, speaker stands, space needed)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

So, I was playing around today (like I tend to do) with my live setup for an upcoming gig at a new venue. I've played there at an open mic with the hosts awful PA setup but we'll be going in with just ours - thankfully - Bose S1 and a Boss VE-8. The venue is in a very old mill building in the basement which has these huge, square-cut stone walls with lots of corners and weird angles. It looks like the dungeon of a castle - actually a really cool vibe for a pub.

I was playing around with which guitar to use and then I started playing around with the positioning of the S1 (pole mount vs floor, upright, kicked back). I dialed in my usual preferred preamp/gain and set the S1 output to my preferred 50% detente which seems to be the S1 sweet spot. Then I looped a verse and chorus of a song and just stood back, walking around the house gauging the amount of volume and spread and I have to admit, the floor positioning seem to be providing more even coverage then the pole mount!

Now, my small house is going to be different then a larger stone-walled dungeon but I think I'm going to give the S1 a go on the floor behind and between us at least initially. I'll have the pole in the trunk, just in case. Oh, another thing about it being on the floor which the OP mentioned in the first post is that you can crank the volume a lot higher as the speaker is no longer next to your head! I ran the volume on the S1 up to about 75% and it was really throwing some volume then with no loss of sound quality, no feedback, no distortion. Just sweet tone! I'll report back after the gig.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:29 PM

[SIZE="4"]I use my Bose S1 Pro in tilt back mode feeding my entire band, including a U-Bass through a battery powered Behringer Xenix 1002B mixer using the preamps of active DI boxes for independent EQ:

https://i.imgur.com/e8R29bhb.jpg
Old 01-31-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Oh, another thing about it being on the floor which the OP mentioned in the first post is that you can crank the volume a lot higher as the speaker is no longer next to your head!..... I'll report back after the gig.
Looking forward to your report, man. Your youtube reviews and many post were instrumental (yea, I did that) in my buying my S-1 along with an L1-Compact on the same day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification