The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-09-2014, 12:43 AM

i don't know the answer to that yet but i went ahead and ordered one under $1k (in fact less than half that) sight unseen to try it out. i'm sure it's not as great as the high end market or cornered names in the market but for me worth a try to get my feet wet in res market.

Oscar Schmidt OR8ETS
Old 10-09-2014, 07:17 AM

I bought a "Rogue" brass-bodied resonator from Musician's Friend for a little over 300 bucks.

Terrific bargain IMO... Thing looks good, sounds good.... I have no complaints.

I even did a little review on YouTube....
for some reason, the URLwill not pull up on my new tablet, but you can just enter "Rogue brass-bodied resonator review and it should pop up.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I find it very interesting that nobody would ever claim that a First Act guitar with a setup, bone nut and saddle, and great strings is the equal of a D-28. Yet everybody who buys a Rogue, Regal, or Gretsch manages to find one that sounds as good as a National.

They also always manage to find friends and National owners who agree with them...
Please re-read my previous post.
I didn't once say that mine sounded as good a National, I said that the sound surprised the National owners.

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Carey View Post
Please re-read my previous post.
I didn't once say that mine sounded as good a National, I said that the sound surprised the National owners.
What do you want an apology? Okay, I apologize... Didn't expect that did ya!

Seriously though. Yeah, you didn't go there. I'm just so used to it, I colored what you wrote with my past experience. I would have responded sooner, but my computer died, and I'm typing on a used National's worth of new Apple hardware
Old 10-11-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
What do you want an apology? Okay, I apologize... Didn't expect that did ya!

Seriously though. Yeah, you didn't go there. I'm just so used to it, I colored what you wrote with my past experience. I would have responded sooner, but my computer died, and I'm typing on a used National's worth of new Apple hardware
You have no idea how refreshing it is to see someone else with the same problems as me! Computers hate me!
Apology? None needed ( I thought the "please" covered that part but the written word doesn't always carry the writers emotion).
I certainly wasn't trying for a derogatory comment. But...feel free to curse my computer...all of a sudden, out of the blue...my logon password was no good this morning...it took me over four hours to straighten it out...I had to re-load a previous backup to get everying up & running.
I'd be more than happy with a National...they have no Logon Screen!

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I worked with the National Reso-Phonic Guitar Company to develop the modern mandolin they now make; I was their main consulting mandolinist on the project (and I'm very, very proud of the mandolin they put into production, and feel honored to have been part of that project.)

When I was visiting their production facility in San Luis Obispo, California, I asked National's president Don Young whether they ever felt angry or aggravated by the presence of so many inexpensive imported resonator guitars on the market.

What he said surprised me: he told me that, no, not at all, they considered these instruments an excellent way for people to get started on resonator guitars, and for many players they'd be as much of a resonator guitar as they'd ever need. But they also awakened a lot of players to the possibilities of resonator guitars, people who wouldn't have otherwise taken the plunge.

So in that sense these inexpensive imported resonator guitars serve as a sort of feeder system for those players who do eventually move up to the Nationals. Not everybody will, naturally, but they give a lot a people a taste for it, and some of those people do decide to spend a little more and get a finer instrument.

Short version: the imported resonator guitars can sound great, particularly when they're set up and have better cones installed. And the Nationals are going to be there if and when you decide to trade up a little bit.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

Very nicely said Wade
Old 11-08-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
Thanks for the responses, and I think I understand more. It doesn't seem to me there is much competition at the top like there is in the flattop world from a mass-produced standpoint. I suppose the demand isn't really there to support too (or three) top dogs.

I will probably end up with a Hot Rod here in the semi-near future but I am not sure I will find one to play first. I will need to check into their return policy... Anyway, I am excited about the prospect of a Resonator. I do think, however, it will be an adjustment in mindset because they seem more like a piece of hardware (like and electric guitar) more than Musical instrument, if that makes any sense.

Hi, I hope this doesn't sound a bit null but why don't you convert a good acoustic with a general kit and better cones, I know this will set the purists spinning but why not??-- just a question
Old 11-08-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen mills View Post
Hi, I hope this doesn't sound a bit null but why don't you convert a good acoustic with a general kit and better cones, I know this will set the purists spinning but why not??-- just a question
The only thing that would get me spinning would be converting a "good acoustic "

Edited to add, I'd LOVE to see a converted lower end Ovation or Applause. Because I don't get the Ovation hate. And I think a melding of the two would be the best ever rough and tumble guitar for busking and campfire use. Leave the good ones alone.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I have a 2005 National Style "O" Deluxe. Great out of the box. no issues. - If I strummed it hard here in the UK you might hear it where you are.

I hadn't heard of "Hot Rod Steel Guitars. (steel guitars? - nope they are resonators!)

Anyway I watched two videos on the "Learn" part of their website.

Seems that the guy there is saying that they import cheap far eastern units and then do all sorts of things short of rebuilding them to make them work.

Is that "hot-rodding"? I dunno, but it seems a little strange to me.

Prices seem to range from $800 to $1000 for cleaned up, set up pieces that you might buy with an AXL or Johnson name on the headstock for half that.

How mush are used National going for? A Delphi is their cheapest "steel" bodied model and has "the" sound AND projects well and should be trouble free, and for a little more.

This is a basic tuition video by my friend Adam Franklin, but it shows the tone of the Delphi pretty well : (I can't add a youtube thing on edit) - see next mail.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Adam Franklin playing his National Delphi :

Old 11-14-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
How mush are used National going for? A Delphi is their cheapest "steel" bodied model and has "the" sound AND projects well and should be trouble free, and for a little more.
A Delphi? anywhere from $1,200 to $1,500 would be considered a fair price, meaning nobody really wins or looses. Above and below that and somebody has cider in their ear...

That is standard Ebay derived pricing. Private pricing can be all over the place. I picked up an older Style N, before they went to german silver so standard yellow brass, for $850 with a K&K passive built in. No clouding, no pitting in the finish, but it looked like a 12 year old well played nickel national would. Shiny from across the room, but a little dull up close.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Default Resonators

I can chime in here. I love resonators I play delta style and have owned a few imports. I can say that if you have an import with a good set-up and saddle you can make great music with them. They wont explode or fall aprt in front of a crowd.

That being said Mr Mill's post certainly applies to me I am one of those folks that has moved up to a national via imports. I have an estralita and I wont look back. My friend that I play with owns a Style o and another friend of mine has a Delphi and it's also a great guitar and he wont look back either.

I do have a few comments on the imports based on my experiences during the learning process.

The Johnson single cone was my first, a decent build however not very loud but it had no rattles or buzzing. I did not have to send it for a set up. it played pretty good It did spoil me with 14 frets though. an OK neck a little thin. and heavy in the bout so I had to play it classical style or it would try to fall off my right knee

The Johnson Tricone I tried in a store was absolute garbage lots of rattles and I hated the feel of it.

The hound dog I tried in the store was a decent build but quiet as a mouse in fact I was suprised as to how quiet it was. Nice thicker neck though

The hotrod single cone I had was a decent player and had a decent tone but I hated the neck it felt like the johnson which was 400 dollars cheaper

Now the Regal RC-1 was my second favorite. A very nice solid feel to it. great tone great volume. I actually drew a crowd in GC when I tried it. A cranked it to open E and it sang really really nice. for 400 bucks used it was a bargain. narrow nut though like the johnson

My favorite import thus far is the Gretch bobtail. Great tone GREAT V NECK with wide spacing and well built, absolutely loved it. In fact I still own it and it's for sale.. If I never played a national I would not know a better resonator and I would not have it up on fleabay. It has a close feeling to the nice V-necks of the Nationals. I am NOT comparing it to a national at all, however the neck and playability is my favorite of the imports.

Now I did almost buy a US made hawain DOBRO for 1100 all metal, it sounded great it was a 14 fret. However the national is a better instrument with sweeeeet soft v necks

Ive never played a republic. that Highway model looks pretty slick though

I now own a National and there is a difference in tone, feel, especially responsiveness and they are easier to play. BUT to me there are plenty of great imports out there just get a good set up and put some heavy strings on them.

Good luck
Tom
Yamaha L
Gretsch Resonator

Last edited by flier; 11-19-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:05 PM

I haven't read the entire thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned yet, you should read about Hot Rod Steel here before you do business with them..

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=364084

Hope you find a good one.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:17 PM

Sort of an insult thread, starting out with premise of National players being snobs. Not a great way to solicit great unbiased advice. But I digress….
Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM

Default bizirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizirk View Post
A few years ago I was looking for a reso to buy. I didn't have a lot of money to spend, but wanted something decent. I had played a few but never really paid much attention to what I was playing as I really hadn't done my homework yet. There was one that I had played in a small store that had always stuck as really nice sounding and very easy playing. When it came time to buy and I had done a lot of research, I was really leaning towards Paul Beard Gold Tone. Asian made but cone, bridge and set up all done in Paul Beards Shop with the same cones and bridges he puts in his high end instruments. With Jerry Douglas playing his reso, I figured they can't be too shabby. Well before I bought I called that small music shop to find out what brand that one was I had played a year or so before as it's sound was still stuck in my mind. It was a Paul Beard Gold Tone.
That is what I bought and have had a blast the last 4 years with it. I was watching a Youtube interview with Paul Beard and he said if any time you wanted to up grade to one of his higher end instruments, he would give a full refund credit on the Gold Tone towards it's purchase. In this vid he describes 3 aspects of a resonator. 1) the Build of the guitar itself, 2) cone and bridge and 3) the set up. The quality of the Asian built guitar is actually very good. It has held up great, great neck (it is a round neck) and pretty darn good finish. Numbers 2 and 3 are the great Paul Beard quality.
If I had to do it all over, I wouldn't hesitate to make the same decision as when I made the purchase.
I am moving into a 5th wheel for a couple years and have reduced my guitar numbers from 10 to 2. This is one of the keepers. Gone are all the Gibsons, Fenders and Taylors....
Hi strummers and pluckers
and Hi biz

very well said and good for your.
You will of course upset the Gibson etc gang, but how many people really think
that playing a Gibs0n will make them a better player .. now be careful before you answer!

Watch the old blues and grass players that made the music so famous in the late 1800s and early 1900s. If you have time to research this you will find that most resonators were made from alloy based saucepans and kettles, bent ,shaped and beaten, and what was the sound they produced... absolutely amazing

I guess its horses for courses and the depth of your wallet!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments