The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-13-2019, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Posch 00

I've never owned a flattop smaller than an OM, but there have been a few 00s that have really impressed me. One was the Martin Tim O'Brien 00-18 (Mahogany and Adirondack) and also Charlie Hoffman's 00s (which were EIR and Sitka and very shallow body); both of these were long scale 14 fret guitars. Even though none of my guitars were designed to be an 'all arounder' I've always been hesitant to commit to an 00, especially for a new or commissioned build, as I wondered if it would be a bit too specialized for how I'd like to put it to use. So with a 'goal' of finding a used luthier built, long scale, 14 fret 00-18, with 4" body depth and Adirondack top, I got a bit more serious in my search.

I was looking for a guitar on the traditional side, tonally and aesthetically. I've been intrigued with Leo Posch guitars for quite some time, and I like the features included in Leo's base model (Adirondack top, stainless steel frets, Waverly tuners, hot hide glue construction, light build, etc). The guitar I bought has surfaced on the AGF a few times over the last few years. I didn't immediately jump on this offering, as it is an elongated 12 fret body, with a 13th fret neck join, and built with rosewood. But, I figured this was probably the only way I'd get to try a Posch 00 without committing to a new guitar and it was 'in the direction' of what I thought my 'ideal' next guitar might be.

I bought the guitar a few weeks ago. It seems it hasn't had a lot of play time (even though it was built 4 years ago) and initially it was 'asleep' from its shipment. Also, I needed some time to figure out how to get the most out of it for how I play, what I play, and how I like to hear things. Well, I've learned a bit how I should be playing it and it has awaken and is becoming much more alive. This 00 is not nearly as 'specialized' as I thought it might be and it's a very good fit for the songs I was envisioning using it for. Really liking it.

I haven't gotten my own photos yet, so I'm going to temporarily show a few from an ad from a few years ago:

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 05-13-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

That's a beauty. Congratulations.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-13-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

What a great looking instrument ... and that rosewood is absolutely stunning!
Old 05-13-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Smile Nice!

I have been sorely tempted by a couple Posh instruments here in the FS listings!

Congratulations on a VERY NIFTY AXE

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-15-2019, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
That's a beauty. Congratulations.

Best,
Jayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
What a great looking instrument ... and that rosewood is absolutely stunning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I have been sorely tempted by a couple Posh instruments here in the FS listings!

Congratulations on a VERY NIFTY AXE

Paul
Thanks to all for the responses. I'm getting lots of satisfaction, aesthetically and tonally, from having something 'traditional'.

While I've had very good experience specifying neck playability on the guitars I've commissioned in the past, with this guitar I've found that accepting the neck that the luthier had built on this 'spec' guitar has worked out well. It's a full neck, with a significant V, which most likely I would not have specified if I had commissioned it.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop