The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-02-2019, 03:36 PM

Default new to amps question

I just bought a used fishman loudbox mini and love it.
I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to amps and need some advice.
When I started with it, I had a bad distortion coming out of the amp.
I was a little worried but put a new battery in my guitar and that fixed the problem.
Now, if I put much volume on it, the A string starts to vibrate if I touch it at all and continues... seemingly forever. I get some feedback from the amp as well.
Any idea what the issue may be?
Old 02-02-2019, 04:19 PM

Sounds more like a pickup or preamp problem. What's your signal chain leading into the amp? I'm guessing here, but maybe you have too much gain coming out of your pickup system into the amp. If so, keep the volume low on the guitar, and let the amp do the work.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 02-02-2019, 04:31 PM

I agree with Wistah it sounds like a pickup issue. What kind of pickup is in your guitar? Those little Fishman amps can get pretty loud and if you're too close to it you will get feedback with practically any pickup, especially in a small room.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:53 PM

Thumbs up

It's got the Taylor es2.
I did have it right next to me so I could mess with a bunch of different settings.
I'll move it farther away and drop the volume knob on the guitar.
Thanks for the feedback (no pun) - any other thoughts?
Old 02-02-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
It's got the Taylor es2.
I did have it right next to me so I could mess with a bunch of different settings.
I'll move it farther away and drop the volume knob on the guitar.
Thanks for the feedback (no pun) - any other thoughts?
I'm sure the amp is fine. With a SBT like the ES2 you will only be able to get so close to the amp without feedback, just the nature of the beast, SBT'S are really prone to feedback. You could also push the phase button and lower the bass a bit that will help but ultimately you need to find your happy distance from the amp at the volume you wish to play.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:15 PM

your just getting feedback when using too much volume while you are in close proximity to the amp. It's 100% normal.

I have the Artist and a few guitars with different pickups,, one has an ES2 like yours. So to set your "tone" where you want...

using a Clock as point of reference, 12 o'clock is just that, half way point on the pots your adjusting there should be a detent that you feel as you sweep the pots form 0 to 10.

Start with the MASTER volume on the amp down, (9 o'clock should be ok as a starting point.) and keep the GAIN at about 9 / 10 o'clock for now.

put everything on the guitar at the Detent (12 o'clock.) which is FLAT nothing is cut, nothing is boosted, (eg: Bass Mid Treble) same for the ES2

Play some notes / chords, to get your tone where you like it.. you may find cutting the MIDs on the amp gives more pleasing results. Adjust these three (bass, mid, treble) controls to get your tone

I usually keep the treble cut to about 10 or 9 o'clock on the ES2 and the bass set about 1 or 2 o'clock.

Keep in mind the ES2 treble control at the detent is is "FLAT" but adds a mid scoop but, don't worry about backing the Treble on the ES2 back a but, and boost (slightly) the bass.

Too much treble and it's going to sounds a bit too bright IME.. Turn the volume on your guitar down..

Turn the mini's MASTER volume about to some where around 10 o'clock, Now walk away from the amp.. Turn the volume on your guitar up to where you want it..

If you have to change EQ settings, turn your guitar volume DOWN before you approach the amp This will minimize feed back.

Make what ever changes you're thinking you need, then move away from the amp, and turn the guitar volume back up.

It's trial and error but you will get it sorted out.

Last edited by rmp; 02-02-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:58 PM

You guys are the best!
I'll work on all that tomorrow and feel confident that I can get it dialed in.
Thanks much!!
Old 02-03-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
I just bought a used fishman loudbox mini and love it.
Yes, the Fishman loudbox series of amps are awesome. I had the artist version for years and absolutely love it. This thread made me realize that they currently have a new design on the mini that has Bluetooth and runs on a rechargeable battery. Very interesting, I put a link below.

https://www.fishman.com/charge/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification