The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMonkeyMan View Post
??

I don't think so but would be happy if it were true. They have small plastic blocks the the string identifier on it I believe.
The small 'blocks' ARE string ties--they work great, i've been using them since LaBella began to include them with their strings....i also have a 'lifetime supply' of small beads bought at AC Moore Arts & Crafts...they work fine also--a bead is a bead is a bead.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janepaints View Post
The small 'blocks' ARE string ties--they work great, i've been using them since LaBella began to include them with their strings....i also have a 'lifetime supply' of small beads bought at AC Moore Arts & Crafts...they work fine also--a bead is a bead is a bead.
How do you use them? Most tie blocks have two holes. These only have one. Post a picture perhaps?
We are talking about the same things yes? They have the string letter in black on them?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

This is what the ones I had look like. I assumed the block was just to identify the string. Then there’s a bead that acts like the ball end on a steel string. The string has a knot that prevents it being pulled through the bead.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Here’s the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 175B1A58-8598-438F-9D92-7A1038C53D41.jpeg (40.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpeg 39E83EFC-F771-483A-A0CD-E7CF38CB2373.jpeg (40.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Here’s the picture
The blocks that I have came with bass strings. Electric bass strings. No bead. The LaBella nylon strings for classical guitar I have gotten do not have these.
Odd.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMonkeyMan View Post
The blocks that I have came with bass strings. Electric bass strings. No bead. The LaBella nylon strings for classical guitar I have gotten do not have these.
Odd.
These are just ball-end nylon strings, most likely LaBella 830 since the trebles are black. Most manufacturers make one or two ball-end sets that are often marketed as folk strings. Most of LaBella's classical strings are tie end without balls, though.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwink View Post
These are just ball-end nylon strings, most likely LaBella 830 since the trebles are black. Most manufacturers make one or two ball-end sets that are often marketed as folk strings. Most of LaBella's classical strings are tie end without balls, though.
For about 1.5 years now ALL LaBella classical strings come with the blocks...

I was NOT referring to LaBella's 'Folk Singer' strings with the ball ends.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janepaints View Post
For about 1.5 years now ALL LaBella classical strings come with the blocks...

I was NOT referring to LaBella's 'Folk Singer' strings with the ball ends.
It seems that at least three different things are getting confounded here:
1. Multi-hole "bridge beads" or string ties as linked in the original post,
2. Ball ends,
3. LaBella blocks (labeled cubes with one hole).

Yes, all LaBella classical guitar strings in recent years seem to come with 3, and it sounds like you have had success using those to secure strings at the bridge. I'm assuming you tie knots in the string ends, or do you tie a knot around each of the blocks?

Quickstep192 included a photo with both the blocks (3) and ball ends (2). All I'm saying is that ball end nylon strings are less common, and the packaging will generally indicate "ball end" (regardless of manufacturer).

Going all the way back to the original post, I've used the Rosette string ties but I tend to prefer the usual bridge tying method.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwink View Post
It seems that at least three different things are getting confounded here:
1. Multi-hole "bridge beads" or string ties as linked in the original post,
2. Ball ends,
3. LaBella blocks (labeled cubes with one hole).

Yes, all LaBella classical guitar strings in recent years seem to come with 3, and it sounds like you have had success using those to secure strings at the bridge. I'm assuming you tie knots in the string ends, or do you tie a knot around each of the blocks?
i knot the strings around the blocks--once thru for the basses, twice for the trebles....

when i first heard about bridge beads someone said "just use craft beads" (since the topic came up relevant to pricey 'boutique' bridge beads, probably on the Delcamp Classical Guitar forum)....so i bought a bag of craft beads...they worked fine....then someone else mentioned that LaBella was including the little blocks, intended for the same purpose...they work the same as beads, but i prefer them just because i prefer their look!

I prefer beads/labella blocks etc to the traditional method of stringing because the strings seem to settle into pitch noticeably faster.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical