The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-24-2002, 01:30 PM

Default A little "G" run for you flatpickers

This is a little "G" run that I use to either fill a void in a solo or tag an ending. The last three notes at the twelvth fret are harmonics. The whole thing plays in 8 counts. You will probably notice that as you get it up to speed it will sound more fluid letting the open strings ring while hammering-on some of the others. Sounds pretty good at about 120 bpm.

1.)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.)-------------------------------------------------------------------0---3---5--
3.)-------------------------------------------------------0---3---4--------------
4.)-----------------------------0-----------0---4----5--------------------------
5.)----------------0---1---2------4----5----------------------------------------
6.)----0---2---3-----------------------------------------------------------------

1.)-0---3---0---------------------------------------------------------------------
2.)--------------5---3---0----------------------------------------------(12)-----
3.)----------------------------4>>>2---0------------0-------------------(12)-----
4.)-------------------------------------------2---0----------------------(12)-----
5.)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6.)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-26-2002, 01:05 PM

What does >>> mean? slide?
Old 08-26-2002, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tenthumbs
What does >>> mean? slide?
Ahhh .... good question. I put that there to indicate sliding your finger down from the fourth fret to the second. I wish I had someway to post an MP3 file so you could hear it. I could not figure out how to accuately notate the subtle inflections of this lick. I think once you go through it a few times you'll be able to hear the phrasing. It's a good lick and when you get it up to speed you'll see how well it works in the flatpicking style.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:47 PM

NPG,
thanks for the post. Flatpicking is a style I love to hear, but haven't taken the time to learn. I thought your G-run would be a good starting point. For the beginner (me!), can you add a bit more info about the timing of the run? Are all the notes the same length? Can you give an example of what the chord structure behind the run is doing (is it during a transition, etc)?

Thanks!
--jam
Old 08-29-2002, 01:01 PM

I'm not sure what the original timing should be, but if you make each note a 16th note it should work out pretty good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell