The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-18-2002, 11:03 PM

Default Open tuning guitar with bongos??? Any tunings you'd like to share

Open tuning guitar with bongos??? Any tunings you'd like to
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm going to be playing acoustic on the city street with a guy with bongos. THe only thing is I'm playing unplugged and don't wanna get techinical because no one will be able to hear me anyways, my Seagull(theirs no way im taking my d16RGT) is tuned to DADDDD. I have elixirs and does it sound so open and booming. I don't think that particular tuning will go good with bongo's. So does anyone have any tunings that sound great, resonate, and has easy fingerings. Open tunings sound cool, and many people think your playing something incredibly difficult with a couple of finger movements, and they seem to be great for jamming in ,thanks!!
Old 08-19-2002, 09:43 AM

hmmmm... what key will the bongos be tuned to? how many fingers does the bongo player use, and is he left or right handed?

will you be using your monkey butt fur or plush poodle case to collect the tips? I would recommend an old press board or cardboard case, myself... and be sure to always seed it with seven singles, for good luck...
Old 08-21-2002, 09:22 AM

Smile one, six, two, five....

two suggestions....

1) Get yourself one (or better yet two) of the little gizmos called

EEEEK! Shrieeeeeeeeek! EEEEEEEk!

interuptions...sounds like Mrs. Trees has encountered another spider in the bathroom....

footsteps....footsteps...

A Bug! A Bug! It's a big bug! Kill it!

"You look pretty cute up there" (state of half-dress..up on the edge of the tub...hair and other items of interest only half contained in loosely wrapped towels)

Not now you da$n bonobo (slap!), kill that bug!

Honey, it's just my sexipedus fantasticus for crying out loud....

woodpecker.com or thirdhandcapo.com will give you details.....

I'm off to that new primate learning center to learn how to count once and for all....

counting my bananas....

in the spirit of those puzzlers.....

How many bananas do need in order to trade for one yam?

Slap! Whump!

ooooooofffffffffff..........

no sleep.....

the other suggestion was......

2)

con't
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 08-21-2002, 09:25 AM

Smile

you should definitely explore the various mother-in-law tunings...

excellent choices for rhythmic jamming type stuff....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 08-21-2002, 09:54 AM

Smile

mother-in-law tunings have two characteristics....

they are capable of giving rise to really nice and pretty stuff on the high end...

but are also thick, thumpy, fat, and barn-butt hoof stompin' heavy down on the low end....

check out from low to high CGCGCG...just roots (C) and fifths (G)

the intervals of a 5th are great for heavy rhythm....do this on a jumbo at Guitar Center and you might even drown out the korn-heads....

on the high end you have complete control for scales...

the pentatonics (major and minor), the major scale and most of it's modes all contain a root and perfect 5th....there's no 3rd ringing out to get in your way...create any sound you want...

check out the simplicity of C minor pentatonic in that tuning...

have a bonobo bongo day.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell