The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-12-2002, 04:38 PM

I think that classical players wouldn't even dream of it. Jazz and some fingerstyle guitarists might dream of it but prefer not to. However, I'll bet that most folk, rock, and blues players do it regularly whether they have to or not, and especially if they're self-taught.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:05 AM

In guitar schools here in Sweden itīs not allowed to use the thump to fret 5th and 6th string.

I think itīs OK to do that if it sounds good and the "thumb fret" technic do the guitarplaying much more fun and easier.

I think itīs too much prestige in the education.

Thats my opinion. Is it anyone who agree with me?
Old 08-27-2002, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Because of my very large hands, I can't play a D chord in the traditional ways very easily. My fingers are simply too skrunched up and it often mutes the strings. I use my middle finger on the G string, my little finger on the B string and my ring finger on the high E string, thus my thumb can roll over and play the low E string to complete the chord. I don't suppose it would be for everybody, but it works for me. The down side of it is that I don't have a free finger to crawl around and play in front of the chord.

Old 08-27-2002, 07:58 AM

The thumb is an integral part of the left hand when it comes to playing the guitar (as well as just about anything else you do with your left hand). I have used my thumb ever since I saw someone else do it when I was just starting out on the guitar. The thumb has advantages over other methods of noting a string that can't be done with four fingers. I know the jazz and classical purists turn their nose up at the thought of using the thumb but for me (and you too) it's there so make use of it.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:32 PM

Hendrix did it. He's wasn't that bad a player....
Old 08-27-2002, 03:56 PM

Often Bluegrassers will use their thumb to fret the low E at the same place that they are fretting the high E with one of their fingers. You will also see bluegrass players use their thumb to mute the low E when they don't want it involved in the chord.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell