The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-25-2002, 12:06 PM

Default How do you hold a pick? (plectrum)

I just found out I've been pickin wrong for 30 years. Never caused a problem but now in my worship band we have a new leader who is guitar-persussion oriented so does alot of palm-mute pickin stuff.

Right now I hold the pick between my thumb & first 2 fingers. I find with 2 fingers I can easily adjust it back into position if it moves when I'm strumming. Downside is the "claw" it makes causes my hand to move further away from the strings & muting is more difficult.

When I try looking at internet pictures of picking it seems the index finger is bent & the thumb holds the other side, but I find the pick wants to slip much more than using the "old" way.

Can someone accuratly describe to me...

1. The correct way
2. How much of the pick is exposed out of your hand
3. How to keep it from moving around on upstrokes

-thanx-

The best things in life, are not Things...
Old 07-25-2002, 02:20 PM

Jim:
I also do alot of the palm muting thing in church (e.g. Jars of Clay)...and I always had trouble hanging onto picks. I now use pick grips (small ovals of adhesive sand paper) made by some place in Michigan (pistol drill adhesive sand paper discs don't work...the adhesive won't stick to the pick). These grips have made all the difference in the world for me. I use a fairly light (0.5 mm Dunlop) pick for strumming.....they are easier to hold onto, and I like the greater ratio of string scrape to string tone you seem to get with a light pick (helps accentuate the percussive rhythm).

Let me know if youre interested in the pick grips...I'll find out what they're called and the company location. They are kind of hard to come by, and I don't think many people use them.

-Roy
'01 Fender Strat Deluxe
'90 Alvarez 5040
'76 Yamaha FG300
How hard can music be? There's only 12 notes.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:35 PM

Is plectrum the scientific name for a pick?
Old 07-25-2002, 02:49 PM

More information on picking than you ever dreamed of. . .
http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html
Old 07-25-2002, 04:06 PM

Default Pickgrips

Pickgrips sounds like the key.. Yes.. please post the info on where to get them...

Thanks!

The best things in life, are not Things...
Old 07-25-2002, 06:19 PM

HOW TO HOLD YOUR PICK IS CONTROVERSIAL, BUT MANY TEACHERS (BOTH ON VIDEO, AND IN PERSON) TELL YOU TO HOLD IT APPROX. LIKE THIS:

1. HOLD YOUR HAND OUT AS IF SHAKING HANDS

2. CURL YOUR FINGERS IN AT THE MIDDLE JOINT.
YOUR HAND SHOULD LOOK LIKE YOU ARE ABOUT TO LIGHT A LIGHTER (NOT LIKE A FIST)

3. LAY THE PICK ON THE FIRST JOINT OF YOUR FOREFINGER AND LAY THE PAD (THE PRINT) OF YOUR THUMB DOWN ON IT.

4. ABOUT A HALF INCH OF PICK SHOULD BE STICKING OUT OF YOUR KNUCKLE FORMING A 90 DEG ANGLE WITH YOUR THUMB.

IF YOUR STRUMMING EXCLUSIVELY, GO WITH A LIGHTER PICK.
IF YOUR FLATPICKING, GO WITH A MED TO HEAVY PICK.

WORK FROM YOUR WRIST, NOT YOUR ELBOW.

SINCE YOU WILL BE MAKING A DRASTIC CHANGE FROM THE WAY YOU ARE HOLDING IT NOW, IT MAY TAKE A FEW MONTHS BEFORE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE HOLDING IT THIS WAY. SOLID UPSTROKES WILL COME TO YOU LAST. BUT STAY DILIGENT AND SPEED, ACCURACY AND SOLID UPSTROKES WILL COME WITH THIS PICK GRIP.

I WENT TO A GUITAR WORKSHOP EARLIER THIS YEAR AND WAS MOVED TO THIS GRIP BY THE INSTRUCTOR, AND THOUGH IT WAS TOUGH TO CHANGE TO THIS (I WAS HOLDING THE PICK WITH A PENCIL GRIP BEFORE) MY SPEED AND ACCURACY IMPROVED DRAMATICALLY AFTER ABOUT 3-4 MONTHS. SO EITHER IT'S A BETTER GRIP OR MAYBE I'M JUST LESS PITIFUL THAN BEFORE -- MAYBE BOTH.

GOOD LUCK
Old 07-26-2002, 06:46 PM

OK, here's the pick gripz (note the Z) link, where you can order online. They're made by Paige.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/PPG10.htm

I put them on both sides of the pick. I suggest you use these with a thin pick (I use 0.5 mm) with a traditional grip for aggressive strumming. I mute (actually, partially mute, lifting my hand slightly with the rhythm) with the side/edge of my hand just above the saddle...I don't know whether it's the accepted way...but it works for me.
'01 Fender Strat Deluxe
'90 Alvarez 5040
'76 Yamaha FG300
How hard can music be? There's only 12 notes.
Old 07-27-2002, 03:11 AM

Another aspect of this question is which pick surface to use.
Depending on what I'm playing. I may use the flat end when strumming and the edge of the pick perpendicular to the strings when flat picking.

Does anyone do what Chris Issak described and punch a hole in the middle of the pick with a paper punch? I tried it but it didn't seem to make much difference to me.

Al

814CE-LTD
Old 08-13-2002, 10:54 PM

Hi JimKlein
Pat Metheny holds the pick with thumb and 2 fingers also. Youre in good company!

My fingers would always sweat causing me to lose control of the pick and even drop it. Grips didn't help much although I didn't drop the pick as often. Here's what I did to permanently fix the problem: cut off the pick side of a thumbpick til its even with your thumb, put superglue on a flatpick and stick 'em together. Not only did it stop the pick from sloshing around in my fingers, I now have greater dynamic control with the same power and tone. Wish I'd learned about that idea years ago.
This setup won't be to everyone's liking and your mileage may vary, but if the grips dont answer your problem, give this one a try.
For anyone that wants to try this:
After experimenting a bit, I have settled on curling my index finger into the webbing of my thumb. It feels more natural to me and gives more dynamic control. I have found that by changing the position of the index finger changes tone and dynamics. Again, this may or may not suit you.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:22 AM

Default you betcha, butrosgali

I once ended up with a tri-corner pick with a hole in the middle which of course I named my 'holey' pick, because it worked so well for me. Still don't know who left it with me. But one say day that pick broke, and I started looking for another one, never found anything right, yada yada yada...

Then Chris Isaak talked about using a hole-punch, and that got me going. I found that for me it's best when the hole is not in the very center of the pick, but a little closer to the upper left corner. Now when I get sweaty and play faster, no problem, no slipping and sliding, CASE CLOSED. (only issue is, don't try this on light picks, they'll split on ya)

I hold my pick as described above, so it's a relief to find out that for once I'm doing something right. Next mission: using my other three fingers to fingerpick while also using the plectrum. Hoo boy
Old 08-15-2002, 01:31 PM
AGF Bouncer

I've been known to pick a lot.

I do a lot of the Al Dimeola type scalar/arpeggiated things.

I've used Jazz III's (the black ones) exclusively forever it seems. Lately I've been experimenting with Stubby's on acoustic since they are more tapered and exhibit less pick noise.

I've never had a problem with sweat and losing the pick, maybe I'm just lucky (and I've played plenty of large shows/gigs where I was quite the sweaty pig hehe).

For me I find that it's placement in the fingers that holds onto the pick more so than materials.

My thumb is at a right angle to my index finger. The pick is paralell to my index finger. How much sticks out can vary on what/how I'm playing at the moment (I actually change this as I play).

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:34 PM

ONE OF TAYLORS GREAT SPOKESPERSON IS DAN CRARY .HE USES THE SAME METHOD THAT YOU DESCRIBED .SAYS IT GIVES HIM GREATER ACCURACY I USE THIS METHOD ALSO AND IT DID INCREASE MY ACCURACY . I DONT THINK THERE IS A RIGHT OR WRONG WAY JUST WHATEVER IS COMFORTABLE FOR YOU. THE ONLY REAL WRONG WAY IS TO NOT HOLD THE PICK AT ALL. KEEP MAKING MUSIC
Old 08-26-2002, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

I like the very large Fender triangular picks. I hold them with my thumb and two fingers, but what I like is that I can be strumming one minute, then flex the pick to make it stiffer and flat pick with it the next. Admittedly, I break a lot of picks with this style, but they tend to crack first and you notice it in time to change between songs.

Old 08-29-2002, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roy
OK, here's the pick gripz (note the Z) link, where you can order online. They're made by Paige.

HANG ON THERE FELLAS..........A buddy from another forum turned me on to his idea-he went to the hardware store and bought a roll of the stuff you put on the floor of your bathroom or tub. I spent 5 bucks and have enough to last for years! They work great, and if they don't slip off the way I play, they won't slip off. trust me.
I just cut out the shape I wanted on stuck it on both sides.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell