The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-09-2021, 03:51 PM

Default NGD X-20 with a mini review

After a rocky start (shipping/communication issues, already covered in previous threads), it's finally here! My new Emerald X-20:

This is an interesting one for me. I've been on the fence about CF for quite some time. I always felt about them like when I see a new model car with a really modern, non traditional design and an odd florescent color - kind of, well, that's interesting I suppose. I'm glad somebody will drive that, but it's not going to be me. But a few outdoor gigs trying to play in drop tunings and not being able to keep it in tune, not being able to leave it in the trunk for a bit, getting rained on, etc, etc, and I figured maybe I should give it a shot. I was hesitant and maybe a little skeptical, and felt like there was a good possibility I would return the guitar.

I was wrong.

It's a very cool guitar. I can't get over the crazy design details. It really is a feat in terms of design and engineering. I'd venture to say it's got the best high fret access of any guitar I own, including electrics. Mine is the stock, plain jane version, only upgrade was to a Baggs Anthem.

It sounds very good, very balanced. Notes are at the same volume everywhere up and down the neck. It's a bit of a fundamental tone with out a ton of overtones, maybe a bit like a mahogany guitar? It does have it's own sound though, doesn't sound like my wood guitars, although not in a bad way. It's really pleasing to play, has plenty of headroom when you dig in, intonation seems spot on (I haven't measured it yet, but I can hear when it's off). It has a sound that makes me want to play it, and sounds really good plugged in as well.

It came with 80/20 strings. Those lasted about long enough to play a G chord. Not my thing. At all. It's currently strung up with Elixir nano PB lights, which suit it much better, or at least what I want to hear out of it. The neck had .006" relief and the truss rod had zero tension on it. Bless those Irish kids for giving me a truss rod! I set it to almost flat and had to take the saddle down about .020". It's close to where I like it, but I may take it down just a tad more. I also polished and fluted the nut slots a little, made the tuning a bit more smooth. It plays pretty good now, but I do my setups slowly, little bit here and there until I get it dialed in perfectly. So far, the action is fairly low with no buzzing, so that's a good sign. I checked for high frets, there were none.

I haven't weighed it, but it feels about 5lbs - not super light, but not overly heavy. I was concerned about the neck carve, based on some comments in other threads, but I kind of like it. It's about like a Taylor neck with just a tad more girth to it. I like fat necks and would have preferred it to be a tad fatter, but I think most folks will do just fine with it. It does have a bit more shoulder than I like, but nothing that effects my playing (bummer - I don't have an excuse for when I play poorly )

I was a little concerned about stainless steel frets. I can hear a certain "pingyness" on a lot of guitars that have them, but this one doesn't have that. Maybe it's just the way CF reacts with them, but they work on this guitar, and I'm not going to miss having to mess with them for a long time.

Ergonomically, it doesn't get much better than this. Arm and rib bevels, rounded edges all over, the way it sits in the lap, the high fret access and lack of a neck block. Sure makes those long practice sessions more tolerable. Oh, and the 1 3/4" nut and 2 1/4" string spacing are just perfect for me. If I had ordered it custom, that's exactly what I would have opted for.

Restringing was no big deal. Just pre bend the ball end, put it in, pull it forward and keep a little tension on it while you string it up. Allistair said he was going to do a video on how to restring with the new bridge, and I'll be interested to see that, but I didn't have much of a problem with it.

When I do a review, I try to give pro's and con's. Cons; not much. I was a little miffed the included coffee much showed up in pieces. Oh well. When playing with a sweater on, it felt a little slick. I have a minor concern it might get too slippery in the summer with sweat on it. We shall see. The hard case has too many latches. No case needs 6 latches to stay closed. When I ordered it, I asked for a spare saddle, which was not included. The way the Anthem is installed, they had to put it in with the battery indicator on the side that is stuck on the guitar, so I can't check the battery level. A bit of a bummer. I always carry a spare though, and you can reach in and get to it without having to do anything with the strings, so I can live with it. Can't think of much else to complain about, which is odd for me.

A few recommendations if you decide to order one. 1st, pay the extra for the better shipping. The savings for the cheap way are not worth the headaches and your coffee mug might arrive in 1 piece. 2nd, My guitar arrived set up for a heavy handed strummer, with relatively high action and a good bit of relief in the neck. Plan on a set up when you get it unless you like it like that.

Overall I really like the guitar. Plus it's so different than all of my other guitars, even my wife got the justification of why I needed another guitar!
Old 04-09-2021, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Nice review - I'm glad it finally surfaced!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-09-2021, 04:53 PM

I'm glad that it arrived and your happy. I really like the new bridge and piano edged fretboard too. Oh, and love your last line about your wife's approval.

"Hey! You can't have a girl in this house with sexier curves than me!"

"What honey?"
Old 04-09-2021, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! The X20 truly is a special guitar; understandable why it is Emerald's most popular model. Enjoy!
Old 04-10-2021, 09:12 AM
Guest 928

JK;

Very nice review, very nice guitar. Looks like years of joy coming your way...........
Old 04-10-2021, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Many congrats! Glad your shipping saga is over. It looks great - interesting that they are sending the X20s with 80/20s - the X30s are shipping with medium light phosphor bronze.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 04-13-2021, 05:39 PM

A couple comments after your comments:
- with a few layers of sticky foam tape and some patience, you can get the Anthem to levitate just proud of the soundhole edge so you can see the battery lights. I fiddled around with it for about an hour, used a sharpie on the visible white tape, and it looked perfect.
- it won't be slippery in summer, it'll be sticky!
Old 04-13-2021, 06:26 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Sweet! I have a 2018 version of the black weave (mine has a vertical weave though).

Replace your mug here.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Sweet! I have a 2018 version of the black weave (mine has a vertical weave though).

Replace your mug here.
Thanks for that. The mug was intact, but the handle was in 4 pieces. I epoxied it back to normal. Not sure why, we've got an overflowing cupboard of mugs as it is. Maybe I'll use it for pens at my office desk.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new guitar! I ordered mine with low action, and it’s right where I like it. Regarding the anthem battery lights, if you check them in a somewhat dark room, they will be visible. You can also use your left hand to create a shadow, push the battery check button, and the lights will appear. Agree totally about the upper fret access, and the ergonomics are great. Enjoy!
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

Last edited by seannx; 04-13-2021 at 08:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber