The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-14-2016, 08:00 AM

I've been playing the guitar for nearly 2 years now and never knew that I should be using my arms for bar chords.

Another great thread!
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-14-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I've been playing the guitar for nearly 2 years now and never knew that I should be using my arms for bar chords.
Well it's not really a matter of "should". It just might help, that's all.
And in fact you might find (like I did) that you do it already without thinking about it.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:45 PM

One trick is to use a capo rather than the finger ............ I tell ya, took me a long time to get fast at moving that capo around ...

rock on ...

ha ha

that's a joke son ..

I've been working on moving the thumb forward a bit ... its tough ... but I like to experiment ...
Taylor 414ce "Baby T"

Old 03-15-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post

Another great thread!
Heck I think I'm using my whole body.....
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 03-15-2016, 09:23 AM

polarred ... have you tried wrapping the leg around the neck .. I do that .. It is a combination yoga class, music practice ..

just remember to breath ..........
Taylor 414ce "Baby T"

Old 03-15-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperguitar View Post
polarred ... have you tried wrapping the leg around the neck .. I do that .. It is a combination yoga class, music practice ..

just remember to breath ..........
Does the leg wrap eliminate the need for rapid capo shifts???
Old 03-15-2016, 12:04 PM

Another trick if not already suggested is have the action lowered. My LX1 had the action so high I sounded like **** on songs with bar chords. Then when I got her back it was night and day. She now sings.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:23 AM

I have only been playing guitar for a few months and the exercise that I'm using is from Richard Lloyd's 'The Alchemical Guitarist'. I practice this method slowly and only for short periods of time as it is quite demanding on my fretting hand. I am not suggesting that this method is unique or superior to any others, simply that it is good for me. The exercise is as follows:

Play in this order, the open chords E A D G C
Barre all six strings at the first fret and repeat the above chords in order.
Repeat this at each position up to the twelfth fret.
Play through the chords in reverse ( C G D A E) back down to the open E.

The chordal cycle up the neck is in perfect fourths B E A D G C F Bb Eb Ab C# F# B
The reverse, back down the neck is in perfect fifths F C G D A E B F# C# Ab Eb Bb F

I am able to practice barre chords and by naming the pitches, both learn the chords and hear the movement through the circle of 4ths and 5ths. I know that it going to take time to progress but I am in no hurry and thoroughly enjoying it.
Ian.

Last edited by ALCO; 03-16-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALCO View Post
I have only been playing guitar for a few months and the exercise that I'm using is from Richard Lloyd's 'The Alchemical Guitarist'. I practice this method slowly and only for short periods of time as it is quite demanding on my fretting hand. I am not suggesting that this method is unique or superior to any others, simply that it is good for me. The exercise is as follows:

The chordal cycle up the neck is in perfect fourths B E A D G C F Bb Eb Ab C# F# B
The reverse, back down the neck is in perfect fifths F C G D A E B F# C# Ab Eb Bb F

I am able to practice barre chords and by naming the pitches, both learn the chords and hear the movement through the circle of 4ths and 5ths. I know that it going to take time to progress but I am in no hurry and thoroughly enjoying it.
Ian.
Man that's tough! Great exercise, and utterly comprehensive - if you can stand it! (And if you are naming the chords correctly...)
If you're enjoying it, that's what matters of course. Good work!
Old 03-16-2016, 05:52 AM

I just had to check those chords and thankfully I typed correctly. Phew!!!
Richard Lloyd does warn against over exertion and stresses the need to go slowly and rest when needed. I have mentioned his course of lessons on other threads and at the risk of becoming too repetitive, I really do strongly recommend it. Particularly for beginners like myself.
Ian.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
Another trick if not already suggested is have the action lowered. My LX1 had the action so high I sounded like **** on songs with bar chords. Then when I got her back it was night and day. She now sings.
But does it buzz now for moderate to heavy strumming? That's the problem I have now. Action is much better but now have buzzing I didn't have before.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 03-16-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
But does it buzz now for moderate to heavy strumming? That's the problem I have now. Action is much better but now have buzzing I didn't have before.
Play each string individually in the barre position. If a strings buzzes when you fret it then you have a set up problem. If no individual string buzzes then you have a technique or strength problem. The set up problem could be either insufficient saddle height or insufficient fretboard relief. If you are not sure which it is ask a guitar tech or luthier.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Ian.
Way over done, kill your hand, pointless exercise, probably even for an electric guitar (which the book has in mind), let alone an acoustic. If you are working on playing an acoustic guitar, get a book written for acoustic guitar. Also the goal is mostly to learn songs. Exercises are on the side.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-16-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I just had to check those chords and thankfully I typed correctly. Phew!!!
Richard Lloyd does warn against over exertion and stresses the need to go slowly and rest when needed. I have mentioned his course of lessons on other threads and at the risk of becoming too repetitive, I really do strongly recommend it. Particularly for beginners like myself.
Ian.
Let me just say I agree with rick, it seems like overkill - certainly would be for most people. If you hadn't said you were enjoying it, I'd have said forget it - or at least cut it down, and focus more on learning songs.

It's really about what's often called the "CAGED system" (movable forms of the 5 open major chord shapes), but not all are practical (or useful) as full barres. But it is useful for learning the neck, provided you do understand the chord structures and know the notes involved (at least, which notes in the shapes are root, 3rd and 5th).

My personal view is that you don't need to learn any chord (or any guitar technique) until you see it used in a song. So you start with songs and learn what you need.
But then some people do really enjoy technical exercises and workouts, and naturally any kind of guitar exercise (within reason) will develop the flexibility and strength you need. Playing anything will then be easier, even if a lot of what you've practised never gets used.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:26 AM

Thank you for your feedback and points well made. In my posts I omitted to mention that I am not attempting to play through this exercise from the nut to 12th and back again. I work on the changes over any two or three frets and then only slowly, concentrating on listening to the intervals and naming the notes whilst using simple picking patterns. Richard Lloyd only refers to the guitar fretboard, so his method applies to both electric and acoustic.
I have recently retired (at 55yo) and having both the time to proceed slowly, on acoustic and electric guitars and a great admiration of John McLaughlin, I am intent on working towards as full an understanding of the techniques that his style demands. However, I am also inspired by the playing and song writing of Nils Lofgren and John Frusciante so I will be studying them as well. Each to their own...
Kind regards, Ian.

Last edited by ALCO; 03-16-2016 at 12:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write