The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-02-2010, 07:26 PM

I had a similar search, trying to find a good sounding electric jazz guitar. While feeling frustrated it hit me that the best sounding jazz guitar I had heard was a Fender Stratocaster. But it just doesnt have the look I want for a jazz guitar. I dont know what to do but I have learned a lot about guitars in the search. No doubt there are good sounding jazz guitars but not under thousands of dollars.
Something similar happens with acoustic jazz guitars, there arent any good sounding ones. What I found was the best sounding acoustic jazz guitar is a Kalamazoo ladder braced flat top.
So for my desire to have a cool looking jazz guitar I am now thinking calander.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I had a similar search, trying to find a good sounding electric jazz guitar. While feeling frustrated it hit me that the best sounding jazz guitar I had heard was a Fender Stratocaster. But it just doesnt have the look I want for a jazz guitar.
I´m glad I´m not alone I find Fenders comfortable to play, I guess thats the consensus of both the Strat and Tele. But in this day and age, is it possible to get more dull as far as design goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I dont know what to do but I have learned a lot about guitars in the search. No doubt there are good sounding jazz guitars but not under thousands of dollars.
Something similar happens with acoustic jazz guitars, there arent any good sounding ones. What I found was the best sounding acoustic jazz guitar is a Kalamazoo ladder braced flat top.
So for my desire to have a cool looking jazz guitar I am now thinking calander.
I´ll be happy if you would elaborate a bit of what you´ve learned. Like do you know of an electric guitar that can give you a smoother sound more in the direction of an acoustic..? (I´m mainly a strummer) I´ve learned that the avarage mic´s in acoustics are of "poor" quality soundwise and mainly made for live performance and never recording. And there are better mics available, (magnetic?) but altso they´re made live in mind.

I guess it has a lot to do with mics, but other things wich i have no idea about. But I´m shure that a lot you gear-heads do

And how about some pics of your newfound sweethearts...hehe
Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Yes, typical archtops have a round and mid-rangey sound that is good for a particular type of music... But aesthetically, archtops are some of the most lovely guitars... and a real attribute to the art of guitar building.
Couldn't agree more. Beautiful instruments. Just check out Youtube for the number of (bad) players out there with an archtop People love them, but I believe they must be the type of guitars thats least forgiving.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
How about a 'crossover' guitar? Check out the Eastman Del Rey series.

JR
I´ve heard bad things about Eastman guitars. Thats a full-on acoustic isn´t it..?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secutor View Post
.... Just check out Youtube for the number of (bad) players out there with an archtop People love them, but I believe they must be the type of guitars thats least forgiving.
To describe archtops as the "least forgiving" type of acoustic guitar is a very astute observation. We can't fake it or fudge it on an archtop - whatever we put out there is going to be heard.

Archtops are similar to banjos in that regard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secutor View Post
I´ve heard bad things about Eastman guitars. Thats a full-on acoustic isn´t it..?
Eastman guitars are like anything else made out of solid wood in that they can vary a great deal from one example to the next. But I've played some superb Eastman instruments, too, so I wouldn't go dismissing them, if I were you. In terms of musical value received for dollars spent, they're quite often an excellent value.

whm
Old 05-03-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
To describe archtops as the "least forgiving" type of acoustic guitar is a very astute observation. We can't fake it or fudge it on an archtop - whatever we put out there is going to be heard.
Wattayamean!? No Distortion-Pedal then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Archtops are similar to banjos in that regard....
This beautiful song really made me want to learn play the banjo.

Last edited by Secutor; 05-03-2010 at 05:28 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops