The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-09-2016, 01:50 AM

Default Fishman Matrix malfunctions after an hour

My year old old-new-stock Fishman Matrix under-saddle pickup has started making noises like an open connection in a patch cord after over an hour of performing.

I have tried different patch cords. I was thinking of resoldering the connections at the battery terminals and at the pick up.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:36 AM

There are screw terminals connecting the UST to the preamp. Maybe they are loose???
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-09-2016, 06:42 AM

Try replacing the battery.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:18 AM

If the strap button comes loose it can cause similar issues
Old 05-09-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
There are screw terminals connecting the UST to the preamp. Maybe they are loose???
Thanks, I will be checking all connections.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
If the strap button comes loose it can cause similar issues
Thanks, the strap button is secure.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
Try replacing the battery.
Thanks, i have changed the battery.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:28 PM

Default Fishman Matrix malfunctions after an hour

Does it go away if you touch the end pin jack? It sounds like it could be a shielding/grounding issue - the element itself is coated with shielding paint. I damaged mine when changing the bridge saddle and the short term solution was to have a very thin strip of baking foil between the pickup and the saddle, making sure the foil covered the damaged (scratched) section of the pickup and making contact with the undamaged section. The symptoms before I put the foil on the pickup were as you described - but all the time. If the problem you describe always takes about an hour to occur I would check out if there is a less-than-secure connection somewhere that works itself loose after a while or expands due to body or venue heat when you are performing, given that it is ok for a while before coming back.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-09-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Does it go away if you touch the end pin jack? It sounds like it could be a shielding/grounding issue - the element itself is coated with shielding paint. I damaged mine when changing the bridge saddle and the short term solution was to have a very thin strip of baking foil between the pickup and the saddle, making sure the foil covered the damaged (scratched) section of the pickup and making contact with the undamaged section. The symptoms before I put the foil on the pickup were as you described - but all the time. If the problem you describe always takes about an hour to occur I would check out if there is a less-than-secure connection somewhere that works itself loose after a while or expands due to body or venue heat when you are performing, given that it is ok for a while before coming back.
Thanks. No it does not go away when I touch the end pin jack. I am thinking it may be a less-than-secure connection, as well.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:25 AM

A number of the responses address common issues that might cause that grounding sound. Another is saddle fit. How tight, and how flat is your saddle and slot? If the saddle isn't making adequate contact, you can have this problem. Lightly sand the saddle so it's a drop in fit -- loose enough that it'll pull out easily, but not so loose that it leans. Some many differ with my protocol, but I've found that having a drop in fit -- one that if you turn the guitar over, the saddle might just fall out, works best for ensuring that the saddle doesn't hang up in the slot. It also prevents binding of the saddle in the slot due to humidity. Confirm that your slot is actually flat. It's quite common on instruments where the slot is cut before gluing down the bridge to get some distortion in the slot. Is it possible that there is some debris in the slot from the installation? That, too, could be the issue. Check the cable hole and make sure there isn't any fur pushing up into the saddle slot, too.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
A number of the responses address common issues that might cause that grounding sound. Another is saddle fit. How tight, and how flat is your saddle and slot? If the saddle isn't making adequate contact, you can have this problem. Lightly sand the saddle so it's a drop in fit -- loose enough that it'll pull out easily, but not so loose that it leans. Some many differ with my protocol, but I've found that having a drop in fit -- one that if you turn the guitar over, the saddle might just fall out, works best for ensuring that the saddle doesn't hang up in the slot. It also prevents binding of the saddle in the slot due to humidity. Confirm that your slot is actually flat. It's quite common on instruments where the slot is cut before gluing down the bridge to get some distortion in the slot. Is it possible that there is some debris in the slot from the installation? That, too, could be the issue. Check the cable hole and make sure there isn't any fur pushing up into the saddle slot, too.
Thanks so much. Will check these things. It is a factory install... 2003 Gibson Woody Guthrie SJ... so I'd like to assume it was installed correctly. However, I realize that this might not be the case. Also, the problem developed after a year and a half, which leads me to assume it may not have to do with the install.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:25 AM

Are you sure it is the pu and not the amp? Have you plugged into a different system to see if the problem still occurs? If you plug a different instrument into the amp you use with the Fishman equipped guitar does it also conk out or not?
Old 05-11-2016, 12:32 PM

FWIW, I play near the ocean and my instruments would eventually start cutting in and out. Contact cleaner solved this problem. I just use the cheap one from Radioshack vs the more expensive DeOxit. Now I religiously spray that thing on my cables when I plug in and I haven't experienced these problems since. Worth a try.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 05-14-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Are you sure it is the pu and not the amp? Have you plugged into a different system to see if the problem still occurs? If you plug a different instrument into the amp you use with the Fishman equipped guitar does it also conk out or not?
Thank you for the response. Yes, I am sure it is the pickup system. The exact same problem occurred with two different PAs.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
FWIW, I play near the ocean and my instruments would eventually start cutting in and out. Contact cleaner solved this problem. I just use the cheap one from Radioshack vs the more expensive DeOxit. Now I religiously spray that thing on my cables when I plug in and I haven't experienced these problems since. Worth a try.
Thanks for the response. Yes, indeed, I am planning to hit the thing with contact cleaner when I get in there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
fishman pickups, repair