The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
One takes an added risk by having a guitar out of it’s case on a stand, or on the wall. They do it for a perceived pay-off. Most just admit that and don’t go further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
Sincere sympathy for you.

I have owned a D15m for about 4 years. Except for a little fret wear and grease spots on fretboard it was perfect. Perfect until last November or so when I dragged the top across a case bracket. I still feel a little sick thinking about it.
Accidents happen. No one is immune. Do what you like.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 06-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
..You’ve rationalized your preference, and that’s as valid as mine, ....
I’m not the guitar police and anyone can do anything they wish with their guitars. There is no statute I’m aware of and no one here is trying to dictate behavior. ....
Bingo!

My entire "argument" was really to prove a point, not about guitar storage but about respecting other people's opinions.

And maybe its the asynchronous text-only communication of the Internet, where a lot of subtlety and deeper meaning get lost.

I actually (and explicitly stated that) I don't criticize or try to "correct" other peoples' preferences. My point (again I stated it outright) is "do what is best for you and I'll do what is best for me."

My opinion is "do what works for you and what you prefer"

So, I support people who like to case their guitars because that's what THEY like.

My point wasn't even about how to store guitars (this is the part that got lost). When this conversation started, the topic began with an indictment and a number of criticisms by the casers saying that "my opinion is right and yours is wrong" .

I saw the conversation sort of like this (my view is a little exaggerated but just to illustrate I'll say it this way):

Hangers: "I respect your different opinion and I do what I like and you do what you like"
Casers: "you're all wrong, your opinion is invalid and if you don't agree with me you're wrong"

(don't over-react to that I was being tongue-in-cheek)

My point was just to highlight that jumping to the conclusion that one's preference (casing in this example) is "right" universally is absurd. So I tried to show that for other people and situations, maybe someone else has something that they prefer and that works better for them.

But, the point about recognizing everyone's own needs/preferences got lost and the case-vs-hanger argument got stronger.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-21-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Bingo!

My entire "argument" was really to prove a point, not about guitar storage but about respecting other people's opinions.

And maybe its the asynchronous text-only communication of the Internet, where a lot of subtlety and deeper meaning get lost.

I actually (and explicitly stated that) I don't criticize or try to "correct" other peoples' preferences. My point (again I stated it outright) is "do what is best for you and I'll do what is best for me."

My opinion is "do what works for you and what you prefer"

So, I support people who like to case their guitars because that's what THEY like.

My point wasn't even about how to store guitars (this is the part that got lost). When this conversation started, the topic began with an indictment and a number of criticisms by the casers saying that "my opinion is right and yours is wrong" .

I saw the conversation sort of like this (my view is a little exaggerated but just to illustrate I'll say it this way):

Hangers: "I respect your different opinion and I do what I like and you do what you like"
Casers: "you're all wrong, your opinion is invalid and if you don't agree with me you're wrong"

(don't over-react to that I was being tongue-in-cheek)

My point was just to highlight that jumping to the conclusion that one's preference (casing in this example) is "right" universally is absurd. So I tried to show that for other people and situations, maybe someone else has something that they prefer and that works better for them.

But, the point about recognizing everyone's own needs/preferences got lost and the case-vs-hanger argument got stronger.
I agree with you completely on everything you just said and appreciate the succinct way in which you made the argument.

Where we differ and where I think your position is flawed, is when you say your guitars are safer hanging not the wall than cased. I maintain you take additional risks hanging them and you do that for esoteric reasons, or convenience, and to you or other “hangers” these perceived benefits outweigh the risks. We can agree to disagree on that but I think the vast majority of guitar owners would agree with my assessment.

I appreciate the debate and the points we can agree on, nonetheless.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion