The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-09-2021, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Jason Isbell Fender

Okay, I lied. I think I once said here that I wouldnt buy a guitar based on artist endorsement or design. I really like Isbell and his style, and to save face, I really like the specs on his soon-to-be-released telecaster.

Question: would YOU pay $1500 for a Mexican made fender? And should a $1500 guitar have more than a gig-bag? (Dont know if its their standard $20 bag, or a nicer deluxe bag?)

Im not complaining or whining...my shop already has my deposit...but I always wonder what a model like this will sell for on Reverb one year after its release? I doubt anywhere near its current price. But dang it, I want one!!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-09-2021, 03:27 PM

You buy a guitar because you want to own and play it and not because of its resale value. (Fender on the head stock resale value is generally very good anyway although I doubt you will make your money back selling it as a signature model guitar).

Fender pretty much guarantees you a fantastic guitar no matter where it's made is my experience.

Enjoy when you get it!

Last edited by Steel and wood; 02-09-2021 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
You buy a guitar because you want to own and play it and not because of its resale value. (Fender on the head stock resale value is generally very good anyway although I doubt you will make your money back selling it as a signature model guitar).

Fender pretty much guarantees you a fantastic guitar no matter where it's made is my experience.

Enjoy when you get it!
Couldnt agree more. Im looking to play and enjoy this one, like all the rest. I only sell or trade to make room for others!

But its just a way of asking if a new model is over-inflated. I agree, fenders as a group are fine guitars, American and Mexican, but I cant help but wonder how much Im paying for a limited run custom neck plate. We hashed this out before, but with an American Esquire. Now, fender seems to be raising the price point on the Mexican products, and I just wondered how AGFers feel about a $1500 Mexican built tele with a gig bag.

Wont even mention that it comes lightly relic’d!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-09-2021, 04:24 PM

There's a new trend where $1500 guitars are now getting gig bags or no bag/case at all because it can save $100 or so. I think you'll see more models that follow this.

I think you need to look at all the specs and determine what guitar meets, or very closely meets, those specs on a non-endorser model. If there's nothing else and you want the guitar because of the specs then go for it.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Okay, I lied. I think I once said here that I wouldnt buy a guitar based on artist endorsement or design. I really like Isbell and his style, and to save face, I really like the specs on his soon-to-be-released telecaster.

Question: would YOU pay $1500 for a Mexican made fender? And should a $1500 guitar have more than a gig-bag? (Dont know if its their standard $20 bag, or a nicer deluxe bag?)

Im not complaining or whining...my shop already has my deposit...but I always wonder what a model like this will sell for on Reverb one year after its release? I doubt anywhere near its current price. But dang it, I want one!!
No, I wouldn't pay that much for a Mexican Fender. Then again, I wouldn't buy anything with a 7.25" radius or 21 frets. But if you like those specs, it looks pretty decent to me. Like any used guitar, you'd probably get in the 50-60% range if you sell it.

I agree that you should buy it because you like it; that's reason enough, low resale and random Internet guys' opinions to the contrary.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:40 PM

Play it. That is the only way you’ll know. I buy American whenever I can but if it sounds good I’ll keep it. I sold my American Professional Strat and kept the Player Strat. No matter how much I wanted to keep the American my ears just wouldn’t let me.
2021 Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Telecaster
2018 Fender Player Stratocaster
2018 Gibson Les Paul Special
2022 Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols
Old 02-10-2021, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

My electric is a Mexican-made Robert Cray signature model. I like it and bought it because it's Fender's only hardtail Strat, not because of Cray's signature or "custom" pickups. However, it was half the price of that Jason Isbell. I'd think that for $1500 one would expect it to be American-made and include a hardshell case...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-10-2021, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
My electric is a Mexican-made Robert Cray signature model. I like it and bought it because it's Fender's only hardtail Strat, not because of Cray's signature or "custom" pickups. However, it was half the price of that Jason Isbell. I'd think that for $1500 one would expect it to be American-made and include a hardshell case...
My thoughts exactly. But frankly, I do prefer some nice gig bags to some hardshell cases. And yes, Im programmed to believe the $1000 threshold gets you into the “American made” club, but my thoughts on that are evolving. I have a couple imports that Id put up against my American models, so I guess the prices will begin to reflect that quality.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-10-2021, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
My thoughts exactly. But frankly, I do prefer some nice gig bags to some hardshell cases. And yes, Im programmed to believe the $1000 threshold gets you into the “American made” club, but my thoughts on that are evolving. I have a couple imports that Id put up against my American models, so I guess the prices will begin to reflect that quality.
I agree and am also partial to a nice gig bag, but Fender's "Deluxe" gig bag, if that's what the Isbell includes, is anything but deluxe. I'm also a big fan of Fender's Mexican-made Strats and Teles; but if I were to fork over $1500 for this guitar, I think I'd maintain the nagging thought that I'd overpaid to have Isbell's signature on a reliced Player model...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I agree and am also partial to a nice gig bag, but Fender's "Deluxe" gig bag, if that's what the Isbell includes, is anything but deluxe. I'm also a big fan of Fender's Mexican-made Strats and Teles; but if I were to fork over $1500 for this guitar, I think I'd maintain the nagging thought that I'd overpaid to have Isbell's signature on a reliced Player model...
RP,
Thats my feelings exactly! Im not complaining, but yeah, its a nagging feeling paying that much for an import. But in all honesty, I bet theyre every bit the guitar as their lower end American offerings. Well, I’ll post a review in a few weeks...
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-20-2021, 11:58 AM

My Strat and Tele are both Mexican builds.
I swapped the pups out for custom wounds in both and they are beasts.
I dont have $1000 in either one.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars