The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-02-2021, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I ordered the Austrian Audio OC818 today from Sweetwater. The reviews here and at Sweetwater plus the innovative features the mic has sold it for me. Again, all of the suggestions above would fit my needs so much thanks for your input.

Looking forward to posting a S&T with this mic in the very near future!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-03-2021, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I ordered the Austrian Audio OC818 today from Sweetwater. The reviews here and at Sweetwater plus the innovative features the mic has sold it for me. Again, all of the suggestions above would fit my needs so much thanks for your input.

Looking forward to posting a S&T with this mic in the very near future!
From what I have heard and read about Austrian Audio, I think you may have a keeper congrats

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-04-2021, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
From what I have heard and read about Austrian Audio, I think you may have a keeper congrats
Thanks KevWind,

I’m looking forward to exploring many mic setups between my Neumanns and the 818.

Thanks also for your feedback, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 02-04-2021, 08:37 AM

I'm really interested in your thoughts on the Austrian Audio mic. I've been looking at these since the company's introduction. Can't wait for your review. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2021, 01:48 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgavin View Post
I'm really interested in your thoughts on the Austrian Audio mic. I've been looking at these since the company's introduction. Can't wait for your review. Thanks!

I’ll be interested in what Bob says too. I’ve had a pair for almost a month now. Doing a lot of test recordings at home and I’m super happy. I’ve always been a big 414 fan. I’ve had a few different versions of 414 pairs over the years, and I’ve had access to an early early seventies brass caps, and a B-ULS pair.. But I’m selling my 414 XLS-B pair now. I think the Sound On Sound review I linked earlier in this thread kind of nailed it with; “Beautifully clean mics with a supremely balanced sound. They're not sterile or clinical, but neither do they impose their own 'colour filter' on a recording” And I haven't even tried any of the stuff you can do with the plugin and running the back cap to a separate track.. I just really like them a lot. I’m hoping to start tracking a new album with another guitarist (Jamie Stillway) next month and I'm bringing these to that studio date for sure.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I’ll be interested in what Bob says too. I’ve had a pair for almost a month now. Doing a lot of test recordings at home and I’m super happy. I’ve always been a big 414 fan. I’ve had a few different versions of 414 pairs over the years, and I’ve had access to an early early seventies brass caps, and a B-ULS pair.. But I’m selling my 414 XLS-B pair now. I think the Sound On Sound review I linked earlier in this thread kind of nailed it with; “Beautifully clean mics with a supremely balanced sound. They're not sterile or clinical, but neither do they impose their own 'colour filter' on a recording” And I haven't even tried any of the stuff you can do with the plugin and running the back cap to a separate track.. I just really like them a lot. I’m hoping to start tracking a new album with another guitarist (Jamie Stillway) next month and I'm bringing these to that studio date for sure.
Well that says a lot Eric. My first album was tracked with a pair of 414 mics. I think that were XLS, not sure because they belonged to the studio and my interest in microphones at that time was lacking. I was pleased with the final product and occasionally listen to one of those tracks to compare the capture with what I currently hear on fingerstyle recordings. They captured the guitar quite nicely with a little added air on the highs that I like. So all in all, I like the 414 but am intrigued with the AA mics. What really caught my attention was the crafted in Vienna capsule that they went to such lengths to create. I'd much rather have a mic that offers a clean and realistic capture right at the capsule than one that has to correct a handicapped capture through circuitry.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
One of my projects right now is creating two solo fingerstyle videos for a virtual recital my teacher has scheduled via a Zoom online meeting. Pretty cool!

I've done two "rough drafts" using my Neumann 184's set up as a spaced pair running into a Zoom Q8 video recorder. The results have been pretty decent sound wise even with no post processing on my DAW.

So the 818 gets delivered today and I certainly want to take it on a test drive. If I use it as a single mic doing a mono recording into the Q8, what pattern do you think would work best (cardioid, supercardioid, omni, figure 8)?

Last edited by SprintBob; 02-05-2021 at 06:09 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD