The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-25-2021, 02:06 PM

Default sandpaper for finishing

General purpose sandpaper (Norton 3x, eg.) seems to have occasional large grains that leave visible scratches behind when leveling. Or, I am doing something wrong.

So I've been using Norton Black Ice before buffing. Seems to work pretty well.

Wondering if other members use other brands with consistent grain size?

Thanks in advance

Kevin
Old 02-25-2021, 02:44 PM
Custom Guitars

I do my wet sanding to buff with 3M auto papers. 800 and up. I level my finish with the gold colored 3M FreCut stuff. 320 or 240. I guess I like 3M for finish work! Ha. I tend to use Klingspor for my wood sanding paper.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:10 PM

My current favourite for wood is Mirka mesh, but I also use Norton 3X. The Mirka stays sharp a long time and the mesh allows it to be used with a vacuum that eliminates almost all of the dust.

Micromesh works well for me for sanding finishes and comes in just about every grit you'd want.

I have found, particularly for finish work, not all sandpaper is created equal.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:48 PM

Default sandpaper for finishing

Thanks for the replies.

3M FreCut is promoted as having tight control on grain size, so I will give that a try. I use their Perfect It polishing compounds for buffing, so should have thought of their abrasives :-(

re: micromesh, I got confused with their grit sizing system, then learned that 1500 is same as 400 US :-) Will get some of this too.

Thanks again

Kevin
Old 02-25-2021, 11:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Kovax paper is game-changing, in my opinion. Absolutely superb stuff but it is expensive. The American distributor is Eagle Abrasives.

It is a dry sanding system - which is particularly useful for your 1st and primary leveling after you've done you've applied your finish.

You could start the yellow or orange papers -- roughly equivalent to P800 and P1200, respectively. I continue to use the rest of their sandpaper up to P3000 grit. However, you could switch to another high quality paper. Mirka's Abralon pads are pretty good as well.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:19 PM

This stuff is great:
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...inch-roll.html
Old 02-26-2021, 12:41 PM

I also use 3M auto papers for wet sanding (though not on guitars). It has the advantage of being sold at every autoparts store.

Glued in successive grits onto a thick glass plate, it's also great for getting chisels and plane blades shave-hair sharp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
finishing, leveling, sandpaper