The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 12:00 PM

Default Selling a guitar - returns?

I’m in the process of making a deal selling my HD-28 and the buyer asked me if I could do a “good faith shipping” and give him 5 days to return the guitar if he’s unhappy with it. Does anyone have any experience with that sort of deal? Would love some advice.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 04-25-2018, 12:11 PM

I don't know what "good faith shipping" is, but now way do I ship the guitar without money in hand...

It is not uncommon to offer a trial/inspection period of a day or two or three for the buyer to scope it out and choose whether or not to keep it.

However, usually the way it works is the BUYER is on the hook not only for the return shipping and insurance, but the refund is less any actual initial shipping costs you the SELLER spent. This means the buyer will have basically spent ~$100-200 to test drive the guitar.

Additionally, the guitar must come home in exactly the same condition as it left, or else the return is not accepted.

I have no problem, personally, offering a 48 hour trial/inspection to somebody buying a guitar from me. If it were a fellow AGF'er and they asked for 5 days, I'd be ok with that too.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexsblues View Post
I’m in the process of making a deal selling my HD-28 and the buyer asked me if I could do a “good faith shipping” and give him 5 days to return the guitar if he’s unhappy with it. Does anyone have any experience with that sort of deal? Would love some advice.
I would say no. Chances are, they will want to return it, and that's a lot of headache, especially if they don't pack it well and ship it correctly. Then you'd be on the hook!

Someone will buy that wonderful guitar quickly....keep looking for the right seller.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:16 PM

I wouldn't agree to such an inspection period and certainly not one where acceptance is based on "satisfaction."

The buyer needs to take ownership of their decision to purchase the guitar. That involves calculated risk. If they aren't willing to take that risk, then they're not a good candidate to buy a guitar online from a private party.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:18 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
I always offer returns (I'm assuming the buyer intends to pay up front). I give people 14 days. I don't specify terms other than the guitar must be returned in the condition I sent it. I do this because eBay will force you to accept a return anyway in a lot of cases so it's easier to make that kind of offer up front to buyers. I haven't had one returned yet. Same with Reverb.

I think your buyer wants to make sure he bonds with it and wants to return it in case he (or she) doesn't. Or they've been burned in the past and want to make the safest buy they can. If this is a Craigslist kind of sale I don't think I'd offer returns.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:28 PM

Default "Good faith shipping"

He's seriously not asking you to ship without payment, is he?

As stated above, most times its a well defined return policy with the buyer absorbing the cost to ship back unless the guitar is not as advertised.

Maybe he has a recording gig and is too cheap to rent a guitar?
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 04-25-2018, 12:30 PM

I wouldn't do returns on a used guitar. No way.
G7th Capos
Old 04-25-2018, 12:36 PM

An HD-28 is common enough to know what you're getting into.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingthatisdone View Post
An HD-28 is common enough to know what you're getting into.
If I played several local examples of the HD28 and decided it was the guitar I wanted, then found an attractive deal on a used one - I'd still want to have the opportunity to return it if it wasn't up to the sonic standard set by the other examples of the breed... Duds happen.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:08 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I sell on Reverb and never ship before payment has been made. And I always sell “as is”...meaning the buyer has three days to return it...but only if it was falsely described in the ad. That way I don’t have to deal with something as subjective as whether the buyer “likes” the guitar...

Old 04-25-2018, 01:09 PM

So the only variable is that the guitar has a couple of repaired cracks on the back. However I have been up front about this from the beginning and sent several pictures as well as videos. This is a sale through a Facebook group. I’m inclined to say no because of the hassle, and the fact that I’m not a guitar shop. He seems like a nice guy but I’m trying to sell this guitar to purchase a specific instrument and don’t really have the time to let him test drive it.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 04-25-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovgren View Post
I wouldn't agree to such an inspection period and certainly not one where acceptance is based on "satisfaction."

The buyer needs to take ownership of their decision to purchase the guitar. That involves calculated risk. If they aren't willing to take that risk, then they're not a good candidate to buy a guitar online from a private party.
I am in agreement with this.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-25-2018, 01:23 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
So the only variable is that the guitar has a couple of repaired cracks on the back. However I have been up front about this from the beginning and sent several pictures as well as videos. This is a sale through a Facebook group. I’m inclined to say no because of the hassle, and the fact that I’m not a guitar shop. He seems like a nice guy but I’m trying to sell this guitar to purchase a specific instrument and don’t really have the time to let him test drive it.
Then listen to your instincts. If it's a Facebook group is it a local sale? If so, he should be able to inspect before he buys.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:29 PM

I've sold several guitars on Reverb, and as above, only allow returns if the item is different than described or in the pics. I also have a 15% restocking fee. ($150-200). So far, no returns. Might take a little longer to sell, but a) the item is fairly described and competitively priced to begin with, and b) that's the 'buyer's remorse' charge.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 04-25-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
If I played several local examples of the HD28 and decided it was the guitar I wanted, then found an attractive deal on a used one - I'd still want to have the opportunity to return it if it wasn't up to the sonic standard set by the other examples of the breed... Duds happen.
With your preference in mind, it would probably be best to buy one of those local examples, even if the deal is not as attractive. Or buy new online with an unconditional return policy.

As for the OP seller, get money first. Then, how is the money changing hands? If via Paypal, almost regardless of the terms stated by the seller, Paypal will side with a discontented buyer if the reasons are remotely reasonable. And if the return reasons are remotely reasonable, shipping there and back will be at the expense of the seller. It doesn't always go this way but I think it is the norm.

So assuming the situation feels uncomfortable, much like the buyer advice, I recommend selling local. I realize this can severely limit sale opportunities but it is a matter of live with the uncertainty and discomfort of online sale or deal with the prospects of a slow sale and a lot of Craigs list tire kickers who may have no real intention of buying. Or take the $$ hit by selling on consignment with a dealer.

I will seldom agree to a trial period. Very special circumstances only. But Paypal basically takes it out of my control.

hunter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
returns, selling, shipping