The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 01:34 PM

I've sold over 400 guitars online and I always offer a full no questions asked return policy if the buyer pays shipping both ways. I've had exactly 2 people take me up on it and both times, I sold the guitar for more money after I had it back. I don't lie in my descriptions and stand by what I sell and always feel that a buyer will have more confidence in me because I offer returns. I regularly buy guitars on ebay from people selling them "as-is", set them up as needed and re-se them within a week or so at a good profit.

I don't know what "good faith shipping" is but never ship a guitar without full payment.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgtr View Post
I've sold several guitars on Reverb, and as above, only allow returns if the item is different than described or in the pics. I also have a 15% restocking fee. ($150-200). So far, no returns. Might take a little longer to sell, but a) the item is fairly described and competitively priced to begin with, and b) that's the 'buyer's remorse' charge.
I keep reading that Reverb, similar to Paypal is buyer-centric. I wonder if they would really force a buyer to honor your conditions. Only read accounts but I have read accounts to the contrary with the buyer coming out on top. All you have to do is read a few threads on this forum to find that not as described is a door left wide open for returns.

hunter
Old 04-25-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I've bought and sold and shipped a couple dozen guitars over the past five years. I've had two bad experiences:

1) Years ago, I bought an electric Taylor guitar listed in "new" condition. I got it and found that the internals had been gutted and rewired in a very amateur way (with wrong parts). The buyer returned my money immediately but it was a hassle to pack it up and trudge it down to the shipping place again.

2) Weeks ago, I sold a very nice Martin guitar. The buyer was asking weird questions and sounded very unsure. He got the guitar and immediately said his luthier told him it's terrible and needs a neck reset and to return it. I immediately supported him and gave him his money back. I sold it before it even came back to me and the new owner emailed me, gushing about how wonderful and perfect it was.

In the first case, the other party was dishonest. The the second case, I think the buyer got bad info from an incompetent expert. I don't think they were bad - they just got misled.

So, I always worry when selling. I'm probably 1 for 20 returns on both buying and selling.

I'm too jaded and would never agree to that deal.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-25-2018, 03:42 PM

This is why I really only sell locally through Facebook or Craigslist anymore. Let the buyer test it out and inspect it. Once monies are exchanged. That’s a done deal. None of this dealing with reverb or PayPal due to buyers remorse.

Takes a little longer to sell, but not having to deal with shipping and flippant buyers is priceless.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:08 PM

From several bad experiences buying used guitars online, I won't buy a used guitar online that doesn't have a return policy, and I also make sure there is NO restocking fee.

One recent example: I bought a used PRS S2 Singlecut that the person had clearly done a fret-job to, and rounded the fret ends so much that the high-e was practically falling off the fretboard. They had also sanded the back of the neck to remove the gloss finish. Neither of these were stated in the description. Thank god they had returns. It only cost me $50 instead of having a $800 mistake living in the closet.

I have many other stories of buying guitars in need of fret work, having bad humps where the fret-board meets the body, cracks, etc. People are always trying to pawn off their crap on sites like eBay and Reverb. Fortunately I have not been burned yet.

That being said, I am comfortable purchasing from a reputable forum member without a return policy.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:26 PM

IMO anyone asking for this but labeling it the manipulative and guilt-inducing term "good faith anything" is acting in bad faith.

Just say no.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
I am comfortable purchasing from a reputable forum member without a return policy.
I will only sell on AGF. I have never had anything but excellent experiences with established members. ( I will not sell to anyone with less than 250 posts). I have even made a few friends along the way.

Steve
Old 04-25-2018, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingthatisdone View Post
An HD-28 is common enough to know what you're getting into.
I agree with this.

I always sell my guitars as being in worse condition than they are. No returns. I get less money for them but paying for shipping would also cut into the money. I give more than fair deals so once a deal is made it sticks.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-29-2018, 08:44 AM

Not a chance I'd offer a return option.

I'm generally a "new" buyer, but sell a ton of stuff used as I upgrade (everything) often. I've sold a variety of well-cared-for items online, ranging from guitars to computers to cameras to motorcycles to motor boats. Transactions from $10 to $35,000. And I've never had an issue or return request.

When selling, I am very explicit about all of the pros and cons of the item, right down to the littlest of imperfections if any. My feedback has often been "wow, this was used?".

That being said, when selling used, I expect that I will have to offer somewhat of a discount as compared to retailers. In the case of camera equipment, companies like B&H Photo and KEH are guidelines. For guitar equipment, Reverb and GC.

So the buyer is already getting an advantage by purchasing from me. If the buyer needs reassurances that say a GC 45-day return policy offers, then they should go that route, and likely pay a premium.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:05 AM

Another fine example of why buying and selling on line is not the best way to go.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:10 AM

I'd ask him to make a "good faith" purchase ... pay me up front and trust that what I tell you about the guitar is true. If it turns out not to be true, I'll give you your money back.

And then wait for the reaction ...
Old 04-29-2018, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Offering a return grace period is a given as far as I’m concerned. As long as both seller and buyer are on the same page about the specifics then why not. If the buyer (meaning the person pays up front for the guitar) is not happy they can send it back for a full refund, as long as the guitar comes back in the same condition and the buyer pays shipping for the return.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-29-2018, 11:35 AM

Location: We are in Tucson, Arizona. https://www.zavaletas-guitarras.com

The gold standard among dealers is to allow a 2-3 day inspection period that begins upon delivery. Obviously, this require prepayment. The buyer remains responsible for the guitar until it is safely returned in the same condition as when received. Typically, he pays for all shipping and insurance, if looking at it on "spec".

The risk the buyer might worry about in the case of an private sale is the seller just keeping the money. There are a number of solutions to this-- PayPal guarantees transactions of goods sold, letters of credit (see your bank are also tried and true instruments of payment where conditions might require proof of shipment prior to payment). Another possibility is to involve a trusted third party. I have used this latter strategy to buy guitars from individual in Spain, asking my luthiers to receive and pay for guitar bought this way.

James
Old 04-30-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaichopz View Post
This is why I really only sell locally through Facebook or Craigslist anymore. Let the buyer test it out and inspect it. Once monies are exchanged. That’s a done deal. None of this dealing with reverb or PayPal due to buyers remorse.

Takes a little longer to sell, but not having to deal with shipping and flippant buyers is priceless.
This is the only way I sell guitars. In-person. Try it out, like it? - buy it. No returns, no trial period, as-is.

Too much to go wrong otherwise and I don't think it has taken me more than 2 weeks to ever sell one.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:44 AM

In the mandolin world, a two day trial period is almost universal, as it is the recommended practice on mandolin cafe. The buyer pays up front, and then if they want to return it, it must be in the same condition that it was shipped, the buyer (or perspective buyer) pays return shipping/insurance and the seller’s shipping/insurance costs are subtracted from the refund.

This isn’t standard practice in guitar sales. Most dealers offer a return policy, but I think that the vast majority of non dealer guitar sales do not have a return policy.

Coming from the mandolin world, I would probably offer a two day return period, but no longer unless there were extenuating circumstances like a cold snap and the buyer had to wait 24 hours for acclimatization.

Interesting side note, on many of my sales, I have offered the buyer the option of either a two day return or free shipping. Every single buyer has taken the free shipping option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
returns, selling, shipping