The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
Do you know if the Blackstack has the same requirement for a buffer preamp? I have/use the tonebone prez as my main pre ... maybe that would do.
I don't think there's any requirement for a buffer, but the Blackstack's a passive magnetic, just like the Sunrise, so it will have some sensitivity to loading from whatever it's plugged into. If you like the sound you get straight into your amp, you're all set. If not, you may want to see how it sounds into different inputs, including preamps. Unlike piezo's, magnetics have relatively low impedance outputs. Radial makes a nice DI that has a variable input impedance feature in a lower range specifically aimed at magnetics, so you can dial in whatever sounds best to you, so that's one option. To my ears, the effect is so subtle you don't notice it in real use.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Does the L.R. Baggs M80 compare favorably with the Sunrise? If so, does the M80's body-sensing coil add anything worthwhile over the Sunrise's tone?

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

The M1/M80 has a very different sound. More upper kids. The M80 adds a lot of body pickup, sort of like having a mag+sbt all in one. It doesn't have quite the deep bass or as intense an electric guitar sound. Just very different to my ears, not better or worse, depends on what you like.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The M1/M80 has a very different sound. More upper kids. The M80 adds a lot of body pickup, sort of like having a mag+sbt all in one. It doesn't have quite the deep bass or as intense an electric guitar sound. Just very different to my ears, not better or worse, depends on what you like.
Thanks Doug,

It sounds like the M80 is something I'd want to consider in a future rig.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-16-2014, 06:15 PM

I have my 914 set up with a Sunrise. I had a female output jack installed so I can switch it out easily with my other soundhole pickups - an M80 and a Fishman Rare Earth HB. I happen to like the sound of magnetics so this setup works for me.

The Sunrise is unique. It is clean, clear and at least in my opinion, sounds more truly acoustic than any of the other soundhole pickups and I have had and tried pretty much all of them. That being said, I think the M80 is an exceptional pickup because it really sounds like a dual source system. The extra coil does an excellent job of picking up the body vibrations while the strings are being picked up by the top coil. It is a HUGE improvement over the M1A which I had. No disrespect for any M1A users. It too is an excellent pickup. I think LR Baggs just pushed their soundhole magnetics into the next league with the M80. I also had an M1 and the M80 in passive mode is far more accurate than the M1 although it too is an excellent pickup.

Is the M80 better than the Sunrise? I can't say "Better" although I happen to like the Sunrise better for its clean acoustic tone. The M80 is different and really works well for people who do percussive playing, tapping, etc. The Sunrise will not pick up all of that body sound.

I think the best setup is to be able to switch the pickups out depending on what style you are playing. There is truly something special about Jim Kaufman's Sunrise pickup. Right now I am waiting for a Red Eye preamp to try with the Sunrise. I currently use a SansAmp Acoustic DI with tube emulation. A tube preamp would be ideal. I think you would have no problem using the Sunrise alone as a single source. I also think the M80 is an easy single source solution as well.
davidc
Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 AM

Have you tried the Swiss made Schertler Magnetico with small plug in condenser mic.?
I've just installed one and it sounds great,to my aging ears.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJRB View Post
I use K&K Mini Western, passive (no battery in the guitar) no "barn door", excellent sound, masses of output. Easy to install yourself too.
MJRB
We have a winner!!!

Only took 10 comments in a reborn 9 yr. old thread to get a K&K plug!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:23 PM

I have an old one that came with an old Gibson I grabbed. It sounds OK, but my other pick ups sound better. This one is much better http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FZJj7AodKwkAgQ
Old 03-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

I loved my Sunrise (with the Sunrise buffer box). Stunningly deep lows and buttery highs that complemented my SBT well. It was just too heavy... my new guitar is lightly braced and the Sunrise would noticeably dampen the acoustic sound. It didn't have an effect on my previous Martin 000X1, though. Now that was a great fit.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedtone View Post
I have an old one that came with an old Gibson I grabbed. It sounds OK, but my other pick ups sound better. This one is much better http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FZJj7AodKwkAgQ

I have a Fishman Rare Earth and a Sunrise ( besides various UST P/U's) . I have had the Sunrise since the mid 90's. Currently it is on a Gibson Songwriter.
As far as I am concerned, the Sunrise blows any pick up out of the water I have ever had and I have had a boatload of them. Fishman RE isn't bad, but Sunrise is so superior it isn't funny. I use the Sunrise with the buffer box then through a BBE Acoustimax to help adjust Bass, Mids and Treble ( besides it's other features). I have had lots of guitars and set ups in 50 years of playing and this combo is the best sound I have ever had.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 PM

Darn Good and even better with the SB1 preamp..
Old 03-20-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
We have a winner!!!

Only took 10 comments in a reborn 9 yr. old thread to get a K&K plug!
I'm surprised it took so long
Old 03-20-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLuo View Post
I loved my Sunrise (with the Sunrise buffer box). Stunningly deep lows and buttery highs that complemented my SBT well. It was just too heavy... my new guitar is lightly braced and the Sunrise would noticeably dampen the acoustic sound. It didn't have an effect on my previous Martin 000X1, though. Now that was a great fit.
I haven't noticed any dampening on my Lowdens. Perhaps it is because of the soundhole reinforcement that Lowden uses... I have found the Sunrise to work exceedingly well on them where it really gets the warm round lows and as you said, really compliments an SBT.
that's me on guitar
Old 03-21-2014, 01:36 PM

Any thoughts of putting a Sunrise in a Martin 000-28EC? Just got the guitar and am looking for that right pickup. I usually prefer dual source but am thinking that the right magnetic may do the job on this smaller body acoustic.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 PM

Just listened to your music with your daughter on vocals. I have played out my whole life, some 30 years and I have to say you two are in the top ten. Awesome tonality on guitar and vocals, great depth of feel, very emotional style, and perfect!! Thanks so much

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification