The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 09:44 PM

Default Tell me about Martins and help me decide my last NGD!

I’ve narrowed my 50th BD guitar to two choices. A Gibson Advanced Jumbo or a Martin dread. It’ll be used for outdoor bluegrass festivals and shows and in rotation at church. Here’s the thing. Other than seeing and hearing a gazillion Martin dreads at festivals over the years, I know almost NOTHING about them. I want to spend less than $2000 and whichever one I go with has to have a pickup for playing at church. For bluegrass, which would be your choice, the Gibson or Martin?(let’s leave tradition out of the equation) I’m wanting a Banjo Killer! One that’s big enough to cut through in a circle. I also like the smaller necks like Taylor and Bourgeois have. 11/16” nut isn’t a deal-breaker. I’d really like to have the herringbone purfling on a Martin but I believe that’s on the 28 models, correct? I’m pretty much gonna let AGF pick my BD present for me. So hit me with info and your HONEST opinions.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 06-25-2019, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

My bluegrass teacher plays a Gibson AJ. It's a fine guitar, I used to own one but sold it due to the shallow neck...which might actually suit you. It has the standard Gibson 1.725" nut and 2 3/16" string spacing. Tone wise it has better balance and midrange, and projects well, but does not boom on the low end like a Martin dread. The Martin dreads will also be louder...D-28, D-18, HD-28. I prefer the reimagined Martins with the updated 1 3/4 nut and thicker MLO/PA neck. Happy hunting!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 06-25-2019, 10:12 PM
Guest 728

How is it that you're almost 50 and you don't have a Gibson or a Martin?
Old 06-25-2019, 10:16 PM

For bluegrass circle jams, I'd go witb a Martin for the woof or thump they deliver when playing a boom chuck rhythm, and search for one with an Adi top and mahogany back and sides if you can. The Adi top will send a custom shop D-18 over $2000 new, but you could possibly score one used around there. I know a fair number of dealers have ordered custom shop D-18 guitars with Adi tops and MLO necks, which would suit your preference. So a used one might be floating around.

If choosing something new, I'd look at that DSS-17. It's apparently a bit too raw and wild for some, but it seems like a good fit for open jams on a sub $2000 budget.

I have two Martin dreads, similarly spec'd with the exception of rosewood on one and mahogany on the other. Both have Adi tops. The mahogany dread with its Adi top cuts better and seems slightly louder to me. According to a decibel phone app, phone resting on my leg while sitting down, the mahogany dread averaged 90 decibels over a minute and a half of playing and its peak was 95 decibels.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:29 PM

Get the Martin J-40, birthday boy! The new Martin jumbo with bling. You'll need a couple more thou, but you deserve it.

I already had a Martin when I turned 50, so I bought a black and chrome Harley Davidson.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-25-2019, 10:35 PM

Or here's a thought. Get the Japan-made Yamaha FG5X slope-shoulder dread with the terrific new pickup system, and then get a Fishman Loudbox Artist amp.

Sweetwater has them both, and you're out the door for about your number.

The Yamaha sounds like my D-18.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-25-2019, 11:09 PM

I love Martins. They are quite different than the Taylors in your signature. I just don't think you can go wrong with a D-28 if you like Rosewood or a D-18 if you like Mahogany. I think both have been updated in recent years. I know this forum has some amazing Martin dealers (My Favorite Guitars or Maury's) that would be very helpful if you don't have a Martin dealer locally.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:21 PM

The Martin Custom D classic is a great sounding guitar and you can pick one of these up right now at Musicians Friend for 900. Put a K&K pure mini in it and you are ready to go. The only reason I sold mine was so I could buy the Martin MMV. I actually regret that a little but maybe I'll get another custom D down the road. Look at the reviews on Musicians Friend. They are spot on.

Last edited by baw3; 06-25-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:38 PM

Every Martin dread will do the job comfortably. Not to mention the classic D-28 and D-18. Best check it out yourself.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

I have a very nice Gibson AJ, and it does make a very good flat picking guitar, though I am not a bluegrass player. So I am probably not a great judge for what you need.

My choice for a new Martin Dreadnought would be the Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe with forward shifted, scalloped bracing, but again, that may not be an ideal bluegrass guitar. A lot of bluegrass players prefer straight braced D-28 models. Also, the new Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe costs about twice what you are wanting to spend.

The old D-28 did not have herringbone perfling unless you find an old one that would really cost a fortune. The HD-28 and HD-28V models have herringbone and look very nice, but they might be too bassy for bluegrass, depending on how you play. You should be able to find a used D-28 within your budget or close to it, but not all D-28s sound the same. You'd need to play the guitar to know for sure that you like it.

Most Martin D-28 and Gibson AJ models do not come with pickups, but they can certainly be installed. Of course, that adds more cost.

You probably need to do some playing of a bunch of Martin dreadnoughts to find out what you like. For me, the Martin dreadnought, either the D-18 or the D-28, are the ideal bluegrass guitar models. You should also try to play an AJ or two to see what you think. A good one has a really punchy sound, especially with a red spruce top.

As you can see, I don't know what to recommend to you. You can find something great for $2K, but it will take some looking in the used guitar market. That always makes it harder because you can't generally walk into a store and find a good selection of used guitars that fit your needs.

Best of luck!

- Glenn
Old 06-25-2019, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I’ve narrowed my 50th BD guitar to two choices. A Gibson Advanced Jumbo or a Martin dread. It’ll be used for outdoor bluegrass festivals and shows and in rotation at church. Here’s the thing. Other than seeing and hearing a gazillion Martin dreads at festivals over the years, I know almost NOTHING about them. I want to spend less than $2000 and whichever one I go with has to have a pickup for playing at church. For bluegrass, which would be your choice, the Gibson or Martin?(let’s leave tradition out of the equation) I’m wanting a Banjo Killer! One that’s big enough to cut through in a circle. I also like the smaller necks like Taylor and Bourgeois have. 11/16” nut isn’t a deal-breaker. I’d really like to have the herringbone purfling on a Martin but I believe that’s on the 28 models, correct? I’m pretty much gonna let AGF pick my BD present for me. So hit me with info and your HONEST opinions.

I expect there's lots of strictly Martin pickers out there, getting to certain age, who'd love to move up into one of the new 1 3/4" neck model dreads? I'd be on the scout for one of the D28 V, post '85 models, with the adjustable truss rod. They're all herringbone boxes, and some sound sweet enough to draw flies... I'll bet you could get a great one for what you're willing to pay?

Just gather up those 20 hundred dollar bills, to wave around when needed, to ease the former owner's separation anxiety when the deal goes down. Heck, it may even include a nice P/U too? Sound choice!

Don
Old 06-25-2019, 11:57 PM

Default Tell me about Martins and help me decide my last NGD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Or here's a thought. Get the Japan-made Yamaha FG5X slope-shoulder dread with the terrific new pickup system, and then get a Fishman Loudbox Artist amp.

Sweetwater has them both, and you're out the door for about your number.

The Yamaha sounds like my D-18.

+ 1. But please note that I’m bias...and I have not tried the Martin or Gibson that you’ve shortlisted.

Give the new Red Label MIJ series a try, you may like it! And its within your 2k budget...
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 06-26-2019, 12:04 AM

To quote the OP:
" I’d really like to have the herringbone purfling on a Martin but I believe that’s on the 28 models, correct? "

Correct.
But only relatively recently on certain 28 models, not sure of exact years, but someone here probably will.
My point being, I don't ever recall seeing herringbone on a D18.

This is going to be a fun thread.
Myself, being a Martin Guy but not being a bluegrass guy, will be interested to hear how the Gibson AJ stacks up in the opinions of members.

Last edited by woodbox; 06-26-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

No herringbone on 18 models. If you can live without herringbone, the D-18 is a cannon, and the way to go.

If you’re sold on herringbone, an HD-28 would be reasonably close to your price range, and you could have a K&K put in it for maybe another $150?

https://www.myfavoriteguitars.com/Ma...8-2280576.html

Call Jon at MGF, or Maury at Maury’s Music, for the actual price - the price they quote on their websites is the lowest figure CFM permit them to advertise, but their actual SP is usually significantly below that.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-26-2019, 02:47 AM

I believe a D-18 is what will work best for you. It is a super bluegrass dreadnought. You can get a new one from Maury's Music or MFG for less than $2000. Happy Birthday!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion