The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-25-2019, 09:44 AM

Default Fishman Aura VT Enhance AND Aura Spectrum DI

Has anybody tried playing a guitar with the Fishman Aura VT Enhance pickup into an Aura Spectrum DI?

I’ve tried playing my Martin HD-28e with the Aura VT pickup into an Aura Spectrum and was never really happy with the sound compared to if the guitar was plugged in directly. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 AM

Yes, I tried that for fun. The HD-28E has an Aura image for that specific guitar applied at about 30%-40% image. Attempting to reprocess that with more image, or a different image, is unlikely to produce good results. The guitar is meant to have the most plug and play system that Fishman developed to date. They don't expect you to further process it except for basic effects like reverb, etc. to taste.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:11 AM

OK, but why? You are adding Aura to Aura. Don't think you will get good results and it will probably sound weird or over processed. Possibly it may sound good with very little being done by the DI box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macphisto538 View Post
Has anybody tried playing a guitar with the Fishman Aura VT Enhance pickup into an Aura Spectrum DI?

I’ve tried playing my Martin HD-28e with the Aura VT pickup into an Aura Spectrum and was never really happy with the sound compared to if the guitar was plugged in directly. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
OK, but why? You are adding Aura to Aura. Don't think you will get good results and it will probably sound weird or over processed. Possibly it may sound good with very little being done by the DI box.
The Impulse Response process starts with known and expected signal source (raw matrix pickup) and applies a "filter" to get the the raw signal to sound like the microphone recorded signal. If you start with signal that differs from the expected raw signal, the "filter" will no longer produce the same end result which is an approximation of a microphone recorded signal.

Oversimplifying, imagine you want a value of "11". If you start with the number 1 and add 10 to it, you will get an expected result of 11. If you add the same fixed value of 10, but start with 5, you won't get the desired result of 11, you will get 15.

Digital processes are not the same as analog processes. Now, you might still end up with something that sounds interesting. But, it won't sound like that guitar through a microphone. It will sound like a digital mess. :-)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:09 AM

Unless you can get a pure piezo output from the VT, the DI will be adding an image on top of another image. There should only be one aura image used.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification