The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which guitar should test the Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20's first?
Taylor 814ceDLX 2 12.50%
Taylor 614ce (2011) 0 0%
Martin D35 (1972) 11 68.75%
Epiphone PR-755s (MIJ 1981- Looks like D35, sounds like D28) 1 6.25%
Alvarez Yairi DY-71 (1996 cedar over laminated Koa) 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2019, 08:59 AM

Default Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20's. Which guitar should test them?

I've been digging the Gibson Masterbuilt PB strings on my Martin D35 and Taylor 814ceDLX. They sound great on both guitars. Warm and round and full. Perhaps they were a little too warm on the D35, but I got some more articulation from that combination by going to a full set of buffalo horn bridge pins.

I've ordered and received more PB's, but also now have one set of 80/20's. I'm trying to decide which guitar they would best be tested on. So I will leave it to the forum to help me decide.

Which guitar should test the 80/20's?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Guest 728

Put them on whichever guitar would benefit from some brightening.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Put them on whichever guitar would benefit from some brightening.
That is what I was thinking.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-25-2019, 12:31 PM

I agree, but as you know, they won't stay bright for too long. Enjoy them while they last.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-25-2019, 01:29 PM

Thumbs up

The Alvarez! Lam b/s respond to strings by concentrating the tone on the top wood....ought to tell you just how good that Yairi sounds....and I'll wager it'll sound crisp, clear and full!
Old 06-25-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
The Alvarez! Lam b/s respond to strings by concentrating the tone on the top wood....ought to tell you just how good that Yairi sounds....and I'll wager it'll sound crisp, clear and full!
Ya know... I voted Epiphone, but I think you're right. The Alvarez Yairi, if I recall properly, has benefitted in the past from 80/20's. I think the last set of 80/20's I tried on that guitar were JP's. But that was several if not many years ago. Unfortunately I haven't played that guitar often.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion