The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 07:25 AM

We all have our own priorities, as well as our own incomes. There are folks who have little money but still manage to get an expensive instrument. Just as there are well-to-do folks who won't shell out for one.

If you can afford it, but feel you are not "good enough", then you have demonstrated your priority.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:40 AM

Default Why do some own economically-priced guitars and some own high-end guitars

Although I've owned several top-of-the-line instruments over the last 55+ years, I purchase instruments with the goal of filling a specific functional role in my stable rather than pure GAS; while I stick mostly with established brand names I gravitate to the low-/mid-range models as I find they offer the most value-per-dollar - and all I need to do is reach for the "right" guitar for a given situation. As most of us long-time players have discovered (often at great time and expense) there are very few true "Swiss Army" guitars out there - interestingly enough, IME the ones that earn that designation tend to be low- to mid-range instruments within their respective makers' lines; if you've been playing long enough/often enough/seriously enough, you know the difference a particular instrument can make to a recording/performance - and just as with fine cooking the right seasoning, expertly blended, can be the deciding factor between haute cuisine and roadside-diner fare...
Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 AM

Financial constraint is my 'thing'. I'm a pensioner with a limited income so 'high-end' is basically anything I can't afford! I had to trade all my 'affordable' guitars toward my D-18 and couldn't be happier. However this doesn't mean that from now on I'm going to disregard anything else as being inferior; I have owned many far cheaper guitars which I have been very happy with, and I can see more in my future. It can be very satisfying finding the diamond in the rough.

Last edited by AndrewG; 06-24-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:58 AM

"high-end" or expensive guitars to some of us are "student" or "beginner" models to others. The most expensive guitar I have owned is a 3 series L Larrivee. The neck didn't work for me.

I play 100+ gigs a year. They are not high paying gigs. I buy and appreciate guitars that feel good in my hand (neck, body size, etc) and sound good to very good unplugged. Great is not a concern for me because when I play plugged in, it's about the pickup and signal chain and not the guitar to a large degree.

I am far from wealthy. If I was, I not sure l would own an expensive guitar (to me, that's anything around or over $1500). And yeah, I have played SCGC, Collings and other more common expensive guitars that I can truly hear that they have more to offer.

I also am not envious of those that choose to buy these expensive instruments or how much they cost (ie, they gots 'mo money than me). People should buy what they want and can afford.

I can see buying a Fender American Performer Strat and I am arm wrestling with myself over getting one or getting a CV 50's.

Playability and function trump all w/me on acoustic, on electric, its about that and great tone.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
- and just as with fine cooking the right seasoning, expertly blended, can be the deciding factor between haute cuisine and roadside-diner fare...

And sometimes the "road-side diner fare" IS "expertly blended" and is better than the "haute cuisine", in my experiences. Just because it's a cheap foodtruck taco doesn't mean it's worse than a gourmet taco at the most expensive restaurant in town... au contraire....
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingHumblePie View Post
Is the guitar bigger than me or am I bigger than the guitar? I think it should be about an even match.
I gotta disagree with that. I started playing in late 1977 on a $60 pawn shop acoustic that was more horrible than I could possibly describe. A little over a year later I was working at a job that paid decently and I had no responsibilities to speak of yet. I knew at that point I was into this guitar playing thing and decided to get a decent guitar. I went to my local guitar shop and played everything they had under $500. I played a few guitars I really liked, but within seconds of starting to play a used D-28, I KNEW that was the one. Not a close call. I paid $400 for it and I had it for 25 years. I wasn't even CLOSE to being as "big" as that guitar - I'm probably not now. But it inspired me to play more and get better than any of the other guitars I played that day would have, some of which probably were a lot closer to my "size". I was not much more than a rank beginner at that point, but it was the best guitar decision I ever made.

I think you should set a price limit you're comfortable with, play a bunch of guitars within that limit, and you'll KNOW when one insists it's gonna be your guitar. And trust that. Any guitar that feels and sounds good enough to inspire you to play is gonna be the right guitar, even if you have a long way to grow into it...
Old 06-24-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
"high-end" or expensive guitars to some of us are "student" or "beginner" models to others. The most expensive guitar I have owned is a 3 series L Larrivee. The neck didn't work for me.

I play 100+ gigs a year. They are not high paying gigs. I buy and appreciate guitars that feel good in my hand (neck, body size, etc) and sound good to very good unplugged. Great is not a concern for me because when I play plugged in, it's about the pickup and signal chain and not the guitar to a large degree.

I am far from wealthy. If I was, I not sure l would own an expensive guitar (to me, that's anything around or over $1500). And yeah, I have played SCGC, Collings and other more common expensive guitars that I can truly hear that they have more to offer.

I also am not envious of those that choose to buy these expensive instruments or how much they cost (ie, they gots 'mo money than me). People should buy what they want and can afford.

I can see buying a Fender American Performer Strat and I am arm wrestling with myself over getting one or getting a CV 50's.

Playability and function trump all w/me on acoustic, on electric, its about that and great tone.
Before you jump on that US Strat can I suggest you try something from the MIM Player series? The specs are identical-including hardware and pickups-to the old US Standard series and represent great value. Here's something you may find informative...
http://www.musiciansunite.com/articl...rd-series.html
Old 06-24-2019, 08:05 AM

My lower price range guitars are what I consider value purchases. I get a kick out of buying and playing guitars that sound far better than their price would suggest. Occasionally I bump into one by accident, but mostly the great advice of others on this forum has helped to guide me.

My Taylors are an indulgence.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
As most of us long-time players have discovered (often at great time and expense) there are very few true "Swiss Army" guitars out there - interestingly enough, IME the ones that earn that designation tend to be low- to mid-range instruments within their respective makers' lines
And that's quite strange, really, and apparently rather specific to guitars (though not so much to classical guitars, maybe)? It's most certainly not the case with violins, violas and cellos. In fact, I know from experience that the sound of a good instrument is determined for a large part by the player, and that we always tend to grab the preferred instrument for anything we play. Bows on the other hand ... (but that's probably characteristic of period performance and not so much for the mainstream classical player or fiddler)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I own both and like both. Playing the guitar is a passion for me and my only true hobby/vice. Like anything that I want to spend money on, I save and budget so my needs still get met, I can assist a friend or family member financially if need be, and I can still invest in music which gives me enormous return on that investment in the form of enjoyment, less stress, and being part of a community that shares my passion.

For me, it is important to know what my compromises are. I don't drive a fancy car, I don't have tons of electronic entertainment toys, but I do have a few very nice guitars. I have other guitar playing friends who have made different choices. We all still seem to enjoy our music together just fine.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-24-2019, 08:12 AM

I keep a blue Yamaha next to the bed. It was left here by a friend who never took to it. It was about $249 new. Plays perfectly in tune. Sounds great.
15 feet away are the cases with Santa Cruz, Brondel, Merrill, Kenny Hill, Gibson, Fender, PRS.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Personally I enjoy stumbling across an incredible "bang for the buck" guitar, and I have owned several over the years. Right now my two favorites are my (relatively inexpensive as far as Martins go) Martin 000-17e. And my very inexpensive Ibanez AVC6. Both of those have the sound I've been wanting in my head. The Martin is a bit more refined and civilized version and the Ibanez is the kinda girl you don't take home to mom, but you definitely tell all your friends about. Others are either workhorses or heirlooms and those fulfill a different need.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-24-2019, 08:16 AM

I can pretty much afford to buy any guitar I want.. guitars aren't that expensive.

I have kept everything very much in the affordable range because:

- It'd be nice to retire sooner rather than later
- The expensive guitars I've tried don't make me play better
- I'm spending lots of money on lessons, which do make me play better
- I'd rather my playing be noticed than my guitar
- The guitars I have right now are setup to play really well, most of the guitars under <$5000 off the shelf would need work to play as well as what I have.

If a really expensive guitar magically dilated time so I could practice more I'd go buy one today. By far the biggest want I have for guitar is just to be able to play more.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Before you jump on that US Strat can I suggest you try something from the MIM Player series? The specs are identical-including hardware and pickups-to the old US Standard series and represent great value. Here's something you may find informative...
http://www.musiciansunite.com/articl...rd-series.html
Thanks, but thats MIM vs MIM. The performer has several different specs including pickups, 5 way switch and a push-pull pot. I'm still working out what direction to go. The only thing I know for certain is that i want a Maple fretboard.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-24-2019, 08:37 AM

I buy and play what I like...
there's many reasons why a guitar appeals to me and price is not one of them. I enjoy my Gibsons which are on the low-end scale to some people. I also enjoy a cheap birch $50 parlor that I restored. it's no different than having a newer Lexus in the garage but driving an inexpensive 4x4 to work every day. if you pay $2000 a month for a mortgage every 30 days you can buy a higher end guitar with one or a couple of those payments, while still enjoying a $300 Yamaha sitting next to it. we all have our own priorities and our interests can vary all over the guitar prices range.
Not being a professional musician I own guitars that make me happy, and some are for playing, some are for looking at, some are for nostalgia and sentimentality...and some are for all of that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion