The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor 618e and LR Baggs Session DI--Does Amplified Tone Get Any Better Than This?

What a nice amplified tone I'm getting from my 2015 Taylor 618e ES2, through an LR Baggs Session DI, and into my LR Baggs Synapse Personal PA, with all EQ Flat. The only problem I have with the Taylor is that it has "that string-ping/sitar-thing" happening on its D and G strings. I've been meaning to take care of this annoyance since getting this ax and now I'm going to order some nut files to take care of the problem, and also recontour the saddle behind these strings. As with any Taylor, I'm also thinking about adding an armrest to help keep the lively top from going into that typical Taylor, forearm-pressure, wah-wah-/volume-pedal-thing.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-23-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Hey SpruceTop, check out this armrest. Not cheap, but the best and most comfortable there is: https://www.stringsbymail.com/andrea...tar-11771.html
Old 06-23-2019, 01:54 PM

www.barberatransducers.com
Old 06-23-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Hey SpruceTop, check out this armrest. Not cheap, but the best and most comfortable there is: https://www.stringsbymail.com/andrea...tar-11771.html
Thanks, Dog! Yes, it's not inexpensive but it can be transferred to any acoustic guitar, without using adhesive.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 06-23-2019, 01:57 PM

The ES2 system is definitely nice. The Session for me was a bit of a waste of money though. Extremely subtle and if anything it just added more unncessary gear to deal with. I was hoping it would fatten the tone but I never really found that to be the case.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

I just ordered an Adreas Abel Armrest!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 06-23-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The ES2 system is definitely nice. The Session for me was a bit of a waste of money though. Extremely subtle and if anything it just added more unncessary gear to deal with. I was hoping it would fatten the tone but I never really found that to be the case.
Scott, I mostly agree with you, but if adjusted just right--very subjective--I feel the LR Baggs Session DI can help in getting better amplified dynamics and a fuller tone. Frankly, given my druthers, I'd spend the extra $150 and get the ToneDexter DI.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 06-23-2019, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Thanks, Dog! Yes, it's not inexpensive but it can be transferred to any acoustic guitar, without using adhesive.
You will love it. Might feel a wee bit odd for an hour or two, but after that you will wonder how the heck you ever lived without it. My guitars sound muted and feel uncomfortable without it now. I find it interesting how we sweat the minute differences that various pickups might make on the unamplified tone of our instruments but rarely consider what effect laying our big old arms across the top may have. So many great luthiers putting endless attention into creating thinner and thinner soundboards, shaving braces, double tops, nomex tops - anything to create even a fraction more top resonance - and then we go and lay two pounds of oily, sweaty meat on it. Kinda funny when you think about it.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You will love it. Might feel a wee bit odd for an hour or two, but after that you will wonder how the heck you ever lived without it. My guitars sound muted and feel uncomfortable without it now. I find it interesting how we sweat the minute differences that various pickups might make on the unamplified tone of our instruments but rarely consider what effect laying our big old arms across the top may have. So many great luthiers putting endless attention into creating thinner and thinner soundboards, shaving braces, double tops, nomex tops - anything to create even a fraction more top resonance - and then we go and lay two pounds of oily, sweaty meat on it. Kinda funny when you think about it.
Yes, indeed, and any make of guitar can benefit from a good armrest! Thanks For The Tip!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 06-23-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Scott, I mostly agree with you, but if adjusted just right--very subjective--I feel the LR Baggs Session DI can help in getting better amplified dynamics and a fuller tone. Frankly, given my druthers, I'd spend the extra $150 and get the ToneDexter DI.
I should mention as well that I bought the Session DI which was a fairly large investment for what it does. I think if I had one of the Session align pedals, I wouldn't be so upset with what I paid!

The Tonedexter, I need to play around with it more. Part of me wants to base my rig around it, the other part wants a pickup that I like that can just go into the Felix. I do sometimes find that something like the Tonedexter can end up being more work in the long run. However, the Spectrum aura was very easy to integrate so I think it's just all about working away until I find images that are consistently great.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

* I'm glad your enjoying this combo buddy and I think the 618 is a beautiful guitar... I was pleasantly surprised at the ones I demo'd being so warm with a nice low end! I use on occasion the Baggs Align EQ when performing with my D-18/M80. I like the Align EQ, but never tried the Session with the D18/M80, but it looks interesting to me. I found the D18/M80 plug n play into my Loudbox Performer nice as is, but even better with the Align EQ to fine tune the mids... I wonder if the newer Session would add to that?

** I sometimes use the Boss AD-2 instead of the AEQ because it phatens and adds a warm bodiness if used lightly... maybe the Session would do even a better job?

*** As you know bro, I mostly perform with my MIJ Taks as I've found nothing yet that works for me as good, for straight in plug n play, as the Tak Palathetic system. The F1 Aura Plus came close. in the 000-18 Retro I had... years ago nobody had a pickup system that came close to the way the Tak system sounded imo (Ovation too for that matter). Now the Taylor ES2, F1Aura Plus and the Yamaha SRT systems are getting close, but only by using elements of Takamine's Palathetic pickup design: the Taylor system uses separate piezo sensors behind the saddle, the Yamaha system uses smaller, individual sensors underneath the saddle, but this excludes the F1 Aura's tech which is also very good. All of this Takamine got right way back around '78, and why it still holds up today. However, I can't put it in my D18 and don't want a UST or SBT on this guitar, hence, the M80 has been my go to on it for the past 5 years... the Session has that saturation/compression that the Body Rez and AD-2 have a touch of in a simpler form. always a fun journey!

eric

Last edited by noledog; 06-25-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Abel ArmRest Is A Disappointment!

Quote:
I just received my Abel Armrest and installed it on my Taylor 614ce. Within 30 seconds I determined it isn't a very practical design as it doesn't extend far enough over the soundboard (not nearly as far as does a John Pearse Armrest) to keep part of the forearm from contacting the guitar's top and, thus, still enables the forearm to dampen tone. Back to the vendor for a refund, it goes!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 07-06-2019, 06:28 AM

Motivated by Sprucetop's original posting in this thread I tried by HFN equipped CH-PA substituting a Boss SD-1 (one of the earliest overdrive pedal designs) for my Boss CS-3 compressor to experiment with a touch of overdrive. The HFN output level is perfect for the SD-1 as with minimum pre-gain it sounds pretty much the same as bypass. I do think it sounds nice but I had to choose whether I was optimizing sweetening chords or single note solos. BTW an SD-1 has that perfect 1M ohm input impedance and is not true bypass!

I am convinced there is value in exploring this more and in classic AGF fashion (prepare for the shock) I spent money!

A Baggs Align Series Session pedal is on its way from MF (15% off + BSP points). I plan on using it as a boost pedal for solos. But I'm also toying with leaving it on all the time with a 6 dB foot switchable pad in front of it and disable the pad for solos. This way I might be able to eliminate the Boss EQ pedal from my set up (I am obsessed with carrying as little to a gig as possible).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-10-2019, 04:29 PM

I just got the Baggs Align Session yesterday and A-B tested it against my Boss CS-3 an hour ago. I have a one set gig Saturday to give it the real test. So far I think in this application it is nicely better sounding than the CS-3. I played for a while and ended up with the compression and saturation knobs at 12 o'clock. I like the input gain knob with a clip LED combined with single knob compressor control (the CS-3 has pre and post gain which is tricker for adjusting the compression).

I tried seeing if turning the compression and saturation down did something I liked for strumming, not my intended usage, but nothing earth shaking happened for me so far. I have a passive 6 dB switchable pad pedal and it would be possible for me to set the Session for leads and use the pad upstream from the Session for rhythm.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I just got the Baggs Align Session yesterday and A-B tested it against my Boss CS-3 an hour ago. I have a one set gig Saturday to give it the real test. So far I think in this application it is nicely better sounding than the CS-3. I played for a while and ended up with the compression and saturation knobs at 12 o'clock. I like the input gain knob with a clip LED combined with single knob compressor control (the CS-3 has pre and post gain which is tricker for adjusting the compression).

I tried seeing if turning the compression and saturation down did something I liked for strumming, not my intended usage, but nothing earth shaking happened for me so far. I have a passive 6 dB switchable pad pedal and it would be possible for me to set the Session for leads and use the pad upstream from the Session for rhythm.
Jon, I'm glad you're noticing something happening! Have you found that you get more of a touch sensitivity with the Session? It just sounds kind of fuller, too, but it's a rather subtle pedal when set up just right for the guitar you're playing. I generally use it with Saturation around 10 o'clock and Compression around 11 o'clock as I get what I want to hear but without the distortion that too much Saturation knob can bring to the tone. I'm looking forward to your results from Saturday's gig with the Session!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification