The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-04-2019, 07:01 PM

Default Does this guitar exist?

Looking for a guitar with these specs and I'm not sure where to look. Do you know of any?

- 2" nut
- all solid wood
- Top: Spruce
- back/sides: Rosewood
- Cutaway (or raised fingerboard - but cutaway is better)
- Cost (new or used); around $1k
(if much more than that I'd probably just get a used Cordoba C10 for ~$800 and live w/o the cutaway)

Don't need electronics

I find the 48mm(1.8") nuts on crossovers too small. Even the 50mm/1.9" are marginal.

Any ideas?
Old 06-04-2019, 07:13 PM
Musical minimalist

You might find a Kenny Hill New World guitar that matches those specs used for around 1k.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Cordoba GK Pro Negra. It comes with Fishman electronics installed. It is considered a flamenco guitar. MSRP new is $2200, actual new price is $1600, and can usually be purchased used or B stock on either eBay or Reverb for around $1000.

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/gk-pro/

I own the GK Pro Blanca and love it!
Old 06-05-2019, 05:02 PM

The Yamaha NCX1200 is a nice choice in your price range. The NCX series has a classical nut width and body thickness, so should sound very good acoustically. The electronics in these models are quite good, should you ever wish to utilize them. You might be hard pressed to find a cutaway classical without an electronics package...
Old 06-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
The Yamaha NCX1200 is a nice choice in your price range. The NCX series has a classical nut width and body thickness, so should sound very good acoustically. The electronics in these models are quite good, should you ever wish to utilize them. You might be hard pressed to find a cutaway classical without an electronics package...
I haven't played one, but I'm told that they sound great plugged in, but less so otherwise.

John R.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:42 PM

Darren Hippner builds extraordinary guitars, which he sells for (or used to) between 2 and 2.5k. You could possibly find one used for 1k. See http://www.darrenhippner.com/

John R.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:20 AM

I agree with a previous poster... The Cordoba GK has a 1.96" width nut.... It'll handle a wide variety of genre's of music. Especially the model with rosewood sides and backs.

FWIW- I think that the GK Pro version has a better Fishman preamp and electronics system the the GK Studio version.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 06-06-2019, 11:20 AM

Having owned an NTX700, I would agree the NTX models are not great acoustically. I don’t play amplified, this my reason for selling mine.
The Yamaha NCX models are full bodied, standard classical style guitars with the standard 2.+ neck/nut width. I have not had the chance to play an NCX. Theoretically, it should be measurably better sounding than the NTX model. The standard Yamaha Classical guitars in the middle of their price range typically do sound good. Since the NCX model is of a more standard classical guitar design, I assumed it might be a good choice. Thanks for the insight. I was tempted to give an NCX a try a while back.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
You might find a Kenny Hill New World guitar that matches those specs used for around 1k.
I like this option. And reverb has them for around my price range.

I'll be up in Santa Cruz this month so I'm going to stop into Kenny's shop and see what they sound like (I've already contacted them). I'm curious how a New World Player sounds compared to the Cordoba C10. Same designer, so I'm guessing they would sound similar (given identical woods). I'll find out in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Here you go

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Martin...d=292974552366
Old 06-12-2019, 04:53 PM

Some Alvarez Yairi are all solid wood and great values, even the laminated back/sides Yairis are very good though. The classicals are easy to find in your price range or cheaper. I have a CY140 cedar top that is beautiful and sounds great.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:34 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
I like this option. And reverb has them for around my price range.

I'll be up in Santa Cruz this month so I'm going to stop into Kenny's shop and see what they sound like (I've already contacted them). I'm curious how a New World Player sounds compared to the Cordoba C10. Same designer, so I'm guessing they would sound similar (given identical woods). I'll find out in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the tip.
Just sent you a PM...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical