The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
The very best craftsmen in the building applying much greater hands-on workmanship to ensure my Martins are as good as they can build them while choosing the best materials in the house. The small premium paid is a bargain.

We all live and learn. This is what Ive learned and Im just trying to share it for others who may read this thread. There are numerous threads here about the inconsistency of Martin production guitars and warnings to always play them in person to make sure you get one you like but you’re doing it your way and that’s fine. I truly hope it works out for you. And one more thing, the pricing you got from MFG is no better than what you can get from several internet Martin dealers all of which can set up a factory delivery.
I think I understand what you're saying. I know the HD28's get better wood than the D18's, and that's good enough for me. This will be my 6th Martin, and I have zero complaints about the build quality on any of them, including my MIM Backpacker and DCX1E. I've had to do setups on all of them to get them where I like them to be, but I expect to do that with any guitar. It's actually something enjoy doing, so paying someone else to do it for me is not gonna happen. As long as the "bones" are there I'll tweak it and get it perfect for me.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:46 AM

Completion date for my HD28E got bumped to 6/14/19. I should be able to make it to the factory and pick it up on 6/17/19, so I've got a little less than 2 weeks left to wait. The waiting really is the hardest part!!!
Old 06-04-2019, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your upcoming NGD
I recently played a new HD28 in a local shop and it was spectacular in all ways.
If I did not already have a few dreads I would have picked it up.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-04-2019, 06:49 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo View Post
Completion date for my HD28E got bumped to 6/14/19. I should be able to make it to the factory and pick it up on 6/17/19, so I've got a little less than 2 weeks left to wait. The waiting really is the hardest part!!!
Glad the NGD is close...and picking it up at the factory is VERY cool.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:01 AM

I already sold my DCX1E, and next will be my old HD28. The new HD28E will be my only dread, but it should be the only one I need. I'm gonna play the heck out of it!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo View Post
I talked to John at My Favorite Guitars. He set me up with an HD28E at an excellent price, and I get to pick it up at the Martin factory!
I did this very same thing with my D18. Enjoy your day.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
I did this very same thing with my D18. Enjoy your day.
The sooner the better!
Old 06-25-2019, 07:13 AM

Just picked up my HD28E at the factory yesterday. I like it. Beautiful guitar! it plays nice too with the 1 3/4 inch nut. Couldn't help but notice the cheap plastic saddle though. I talked about it with the sales rep at Martin and he said the plastic would give a more consistent tone when plugged in than a bone saddle, because the bone could have varying densities that might cause one string to be too loud, soft, etc. My experience has been that bone saddles give more volume and better string to string balance than plastic, so it seems they are willing to sacrifice the best acoustic tone to make sure it sounds good plugged in. He did tell me a friend of his who is also an employee at Martin tried several bone saddles in his HD28E until he found one he liked the sound of. He also was kind enough to give me a bone saddle to try out, which I will do at some point. Can't help but be a little irked that they put a plastic saddle in such a nice guitar though. Pics to come soon!
Old 06-25-2019, 07:50 AM

Congratulations! I can't wait to see the pictures. Plastic parts irk me too; that white binding seems to stick out like a sore thumb until it yellows with age IMO. I hope that bone saddle they hooked you up with works out for you.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new HD-28E. Plastic saddle? Wow...I thought they used Micarta or Tusq? I prefer bone but I don't use UST's so it's never been an issue. Enjoy your new Martin!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-25-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Congrats on your new HD-28E. Plastic saddle? Wow...I thought they used Micarta or Tusq? I prefer bone but I don't use UST's so it's never been an issue. Enjoy your new Martin!
It's tusq, but tusq is plastic.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Thanks...didn't know that? Hope the bone saddle will work well for you!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-25-2019, 08:52 AM

Didn't get to play it too much yet. Got in a little late last night then had to be at work this am. The neck feels great though!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Don’t discount the Tusq so early. All my guitars get Tusq. Even the ones that come with bone, I typically swap them out with Tusq.

Bone is not superior IMO. Just different. My ears prefer Tusq majority of the time.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:27 AM

I've had the same issue with my '78 Yairi. It has the 1 11/16" nut width and I prefer 1 3/4", but I love the sound of the guitar and I don't see many DY-74 models come up for sale. Anyway, I have thought about maybe have a nut made to have the same string spacing as a 1 3/4" nut spacing....may be crazy, but has anyone ever done this and would it work for this issue? It seems there is enough neck to do it, but IDK?
Fender MIM Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion